Google: Do No Evil

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Gustav, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gustav Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

...which then brings me to their installs. one gets an app that in turn downloads the actual install which goes thru the motions silently. the updates run as a service, no options are given to opt out. how and where is not in your hands. very intrusive stuff

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

eat shit

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chipz Banned Banned

Haha, you are paranoid! Less-yet, what makes chromium unique. It uses advanced sandboxing techniques which insulate page activities from your system. This is significantly more complicated than given full access to a set of libraries which are in the open. It therefore has more concise requirements to function.

In software development:
    more-definable-environment = better quality features

If you want a weaker browser, try all of the others. I'm personally just fine with Chromium.

8. Gustav Banned Banned

chipz please
    you are addressing a strawman
    i love google products
    these are windows installs by the way

so ahh
    they peddle chrome on search page and also.....

feed google+ shit into search results
    the ftc investigates

9. mathman Valued Senior Member

If you don't want it, use uninstall to get rid of it.

I have five browsers (including Chrome) on my computer. Chrome happens to be the one I use the least.

10. Chipz Banned Banned

Oh God no... they're integrating their product with... their PRODUCT!?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The more Google products you use, the more data it collects about everything you do online—your search history, your emails, the blogs and news sites you read, which videos you watch on YouTube, your news alerts, tasks ,and even shopping lists. For some of these, you need to explicitly grant Google permission to keep track of data associated with your profile.

But it’s hard to keep up with everything Google is tracking.

So now the company is launching a Google Dashboard, which will give you a high-level summary of everything Google knows about you by virtue of the Google products you use. This might include how many emails are in your inbox, recent subject lines, which YouTube video you’ve watched lately (yes, all of them), appointments on your calendar, and more.

http://techcrunch.com/2009/11/05/go...ard-to-show-just-how-much-it-knows-about-you/

Background: How Google collects data about you and the Internet

http://royal.pingdom.com/2010/01/08/how-google-collects-data-about-you-and-the-internet/

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I've just checked my google dashboard.
    Adding my address to Youtube seems to be the explanation as to why I get targeted google search spam.
    Apart from that, it doesn't look a problem.
    Should I be more worried?

13. Chipz Banned Banned

Only if you're a lunatic.

14. Gustav Banned Banned

I installed Google Earth using the updater and the setup was launched in the background, with the default settings. Google Updater is installed as a system service that starts automatically, places an icon in the system tray and constantly pings Google to see if there are any updates for the Google software installed on your computer. By default, the application installs the updates automatically and can be uninstalled.

This practice is not Windows-only. Google's Mac software is installed only with the updater. "Google Updater is the installer for Google products on the Mac. You can use Google Updater to see which Google software you have installed and to see other Google applications you might be interested in. Google Updater helps keep your software up-to-date by installing updates when they become available. And you can use Google Updater to uninstall Google Software." Probably the most outrageous part from the Mac FAQ is the answer to the question: how do I uninstall Google Updater? "To uninstall Google Updater, you first have to uninstall other Google software on your computer. You can't uninstall Google Updater while you have Google software on your computer because we need it there to keep your software up-to-date."

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2008/04/google-updater-new-installer-for-google.html

no trace of uploader so assume it has been uninstalled but....

..services indicates manual disable and....

....folder shows continued presence

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  15. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If the price of getting great software for nothing, is that google gathers and anonymises information in order to sell it, I think that's a fair deal.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Only if they tell you explicitly beforehand (which they probably do..)

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that companies that produce software products over recent years have been attempting to make sure that they can keep their products "up-to-date". The reason for this is that software that has access to the internet is not written particularly tightly in regards to security, so sometimes the software can be identified to have various flaws within their program, flaws that could potentially allow an attacker to compromise your computer through their software.

Rather than having their software suddenly allowing that to occur, they obviously have taken the approach of forcing people to have their updates automatically applied. Obviously this causes some problems since after all the very nature of a company making alterations to your system without your consent will likely cause concern, however you could query as to if the software you've had installed had entries within the agreement pertaining to automatic updating and it's usage in security. (In fact it might pretty much state "if you don't agree, you can't use the software")

Also it should be a well known fact that Google isn't predominantly a "Search Engine", it is a sophisticated company that gains it's revenue from advertising and market research and any attempts to expand into any software area is also going to reflect that.

If you want something devoid of collecting such data, then you'll likely be better off looking at Open Source projects with specified licensing within their agreements.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

They probably put it in the small print, but personally I am well aware of it.
    I wouldn't mind getting rid of the targeted google advertising if I could.
    It knows where you live.
    Any ideas.

At one period it kept on offering me wooden sheds for some reason.
    No diamond encrusted watches for me. I'm clearly a wooden shed person
    Are they right?
    Yes, unfortunately.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I once looked up a movie-box on a number of websites to see where I could order it and which website was cheapest (I never bought it; got it for Christmas). For weeks on end after that I was bombarded with ads about just that movie-box (and related DVD's).

20. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

That sounds very annoying.
    I wonder if it is something they inherited from Youtube
    and never flagged up when they integrated Youtube with the rest of google.

I do find it intrusive. Not enough to junk the whole package, but I don't like it.
    Possibly there is an opt out box.

21. Chipz Banned Banned

Cool story. Is there a point?

22. Gustav Banned Banned

while some maybe concerned, i am not

i suggest search be spun off into a separate entity with govt oversight
    google is practically infrastructure
    we all have a vested interest in impartial and unbiased search algorithms

i see nothing egregious right now and would like to keep it that way

----------------------------

voice in search via chrome is awesome

23. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

In my view, sure. But then, I follow the top most censored stories in the country. It ranks as number six. There is a clear conflict of interest between the current administration's protection of the public interest, and the leaderships interests for Google, Inc.

6. Google Spying?
    Top 25 of 2012
    http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stories/articles/6-google-spying/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.