Google Chrome freezes my computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sculptor, Nov 2, 2016.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

that's it:
    Google Chrome freezes/ shuts down my computer
    Is this a known problem?
    Cause(s?)?

Using firefox now no freezing.

advice?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

In years past, I found that browsers based on the open source chromium project would either stall or freeze-up eventually on older computers with lower processing, cache, and memory. In the course of it gobbling up those limited resources (or whatever it was doing), it would likewise bog down the computer in general. Sometimes requiring a shut-down or restart to end the stagnation. That's the original reason I dropped Chrome, Dragon, Iron, and so forth on those PCs, for Firefox.

But it's difficult to imagine them still doing that with the speedier or multiple-core processors and amount of RAM which desktops and laptops usually come equipped with on average in this decade.

EDIT: Maybe Google will download a repair update soon that will fix the glitch.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. deepslate Registered Member

It uses up a lot of memory. Maybe that's why.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I had this problem a few months ago. It was Flash Player. Upon advice of the Webernets, I disabled it, and the problem stopped.

8. someguy1 Registered Senior Member

Always helpful when posting a technical problem to state your hardware, OS type and version, Chrome version, etc.

Usual Chrome debugging sequence is to turn off all extensions and see if the problem persists. I've found that disabling Flash helps a lot.

Also you don't say how you use Chrome. Do you keep a lot of window/tabs open? Play a lot of videos? Any clues will help people offer suggestions.

9. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

You also could update the Google Chrome app yourself by going to the Chrome website, I think that is the only way you can update Chrome.

10. professorpunctual Registered Member

Funny, I've always had a few problems with Chrome but FF has been solid. I heard Chrome does use up so much memory.