good vs. evil

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by trilli0n1, Dec 11, 1999.

1. trilli0n1 Registered Member

Why do good instead of evil? What makes good more able to follow theme than evil? Human concepts are based around the precept of having good as a central theme-- "better" for example, in any society is regarded as the thing to do. But what if there were a (short-lived) society where "worse" as the thing to do? You might argue that this would end the society. Certianly that is true, but I don't think it would matter much to them.

Or you could argue that this is what God is doing and you want to be on the winning side, but don't forget that God is a human modified concept, and also why would God itself side with good? If there is a God then of course it is obvious that it did (we exist) but why?

And after all entropy is increasing in the universe, this is a natural law, it could be deduced that increasing entropy is the way to go. Ill state my opinion on this matter later after everyone else has.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

I do good rather than evil for my own personal interests. I believe in karma - if I harm someone else, the natural balance of the world will cause harm to come back to me. If I help someone, the natural balance will cause help to come back my way. If I went around vadalizing other peoples houses, for example, that only encourages others to seek revenge and do the same to me. It would also lower property values in my area, which could affect me if I were trying to sell my house, even if my own home was untouched. On the other hand, if I donate my time to a blood bank, if I am hospitalized I will benefit from the time and effor that I and others in my area have donated.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

Doing good is beneficial to all members of society. Look at any social animal, and they help each other out. It is just nature, without helping one another we could not survive.

Anyone who does good to get into heaven is a hypocrite though. I try to do good, not to get into heaven, but because I love the lord.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I try to do "good" things because it's how I get high. Maybe it's a form of empathy. I do something good for someone, they're happy, I feel happy, and we part ways knowing that the world is better for that one spark of light.

8. truestory Registered Senior Member

Generally speaking, doing things for the sake of "goodness" in our society tends to lend merit and worth to our existence.

Evil, on the other hand, tends to degrade and destroy our society and our existence.

9. trilli0n1 Registered Member

Yall don't get what I mean. I mean if good is beneficial then this hypothetical society would be inclined to do what is NOT beneficial, ie, evil. Karma is also the same, if you do evil then youll get evil, but this is what this society would want. People who do good to get into heaven, well, these people would want to go to hell. Everything in this place would be morally reversed, good would corrupt. Think of something horrible: killing your family. Now reverse what you feel at that moment (but you are still killing them even thought the feeling is reversed from normal), and you will arrive at what this made up society would be like. Pretty damn scary huh? But in thier society, scary would be a good thing..

But anyway enough with satanic societies, dudes. Its like, good vs. evil, dog vs. cat, ying vs. yang. Its not one or the other, its both. But you can form your own opinion...

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I think being 'good' and being 'bad' are states of being/mind, based on moral (or lack of) concepts which everybody is exposed to during their childhood.

For example, my own moral backbone is based on the Orthodox Christian religion and the culture of my family/home/country/ and the times that I was brought up in, until the time I could think for myself.
    During my life I have tried to be a good man, because it's what feels right for me. That's not to say I haven't done some bad things as well. I've never purposefully gone out to hurt anybody physically or otherwise but I know that I have, not physically and not intentionally but I have learnt from my actions and I naturally avoid making the same mistakes again, because I hate to cause any type of grief to anybody.
    Having said that, I accept that I do/think things that may be considered bad by certain members of society and I have no intention of changing in the near future.
    So there you go, I'm a good man who likes to get up to a little mischief as long as it doesn't hurt anybody. I think I can speak for a lotta ppl.

As for the words good and bad, I think they're terribly subjective.

TrilliOn1,
    The scenario you describe simply couldn't exist.If you reversed good and bad/evil
    so that people aspired to be as evil as possible, then human society could never get off the ground because families wouldn't exist. The mother would kill or maim/blind the father. And then she would beat/starve/maim/blind her baby to death before she herself inflicts a ghastly and painful suicide on herself!
    Yassee?

11. trilli0n1 Registered Member

exactly.

12. miztic Registered Member

I think you're all digging too deep ;-)
    it's simple evolution (IMO ofcourse) a society that would do evil instead of good, i.e. do destructive things instead of constructive things would destroy itself.
    all the evil people would kill eachother, destroy eachothers means of survival and in the end there would be one left (if he/she is lucky). and since one human can only survive for say 90 years under good conditions the evil comunity would die because there's no offspring.

13. Lori Registered Senior Member

Good job, and may I add that is exactly the reason that God gave us His Word. Thank you and amen.

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"
    "Hey, your plan worked great! They all think I'm cute!"

14. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

No Lori,
    'being good', is simply smart survival tactics.Every animal ensures its own survival by using its intelligence and exploiting its environment in a way which suits it best.

15. Lori Registered Senior Member

Yes, Tab, and the reason that being good perpetuates a good life for us all is because that's the way God intended it to be. God defines what good is, you on the other hand do not. That's why society is so ****ed up, because people don't realize that.

Hey! Who did that?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited December 15, 1999).]

16. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

It's not defining good and bad which is the problem. It's defining the boundaries between them.
    In an organic world, nothing is static. Not even boundaries!

17. Lori Registered Senior Member

Well gee Tab, that must be very convenient for you. Everything is relative. Take a look around. Can you see what this "theory of relativity" has done for us all. Nice try, but no cigar.

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"