Good reasons for having kids

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by francois, May 1, 2008.

1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Actually I hear that these guys are already leading the race.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=79590

Perhaps the three of us should join forces!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Only sadists want to have children. They gonna die eventually, you know...

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

sadists die too eventually you know, meanwhile children live on to produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children that produce more children

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Did you mean Sadists or altruists?

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

those saying that having children is selfish probably don't know the first thing about raising a child

really, it's not like getting a puppy

9. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

In as much as eventually they stop shitting on the newspaper and move to the patch of garden by the door. Dogs eventually learn that shitting in the house is bad, kids just learn shitting in the house will get you reprimanded.

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

1. to love
    2. to feel loved
    3. to keep your family name going
    4. slaves (j/k)
    5. to look after
    6. to go to concerts with
    7. to have a laugh with
    8. but like people here who ahve kids will know, being a mum or dad is a thankless job

11. draqon Banned Banned

to have a piece of you after you die

12. Bells Staff Member

From the moment it is born, the parent(s) has to be at the child's beck and call. They don't sleep, because the child needs to feed. They spend half their time either feeding the child or cleaning up the effects of said feed, both in the child's nappy and in the form of what it happens to have regurgitated.. on themselves, the parents, furniture.. basically anything and everything in range. The parent(s) is virtually the child's slave. They can't do what they want when they want anymore.

All with no thanks at all from the baby.. half the time they won't even acknowledge the parent's presence unless it is feeding or changing it.. because well.. the little blighter's can't speak. Only scream. Oh yeah, you have to put up with and try to deal with its screaming as well. Scream when hungry, tired, thirsty, wet and/or soiled nappy, has farts, needs to burp, gas in general, etc. And sometimes, all of that can happen consecutively. So the screaming can go on for hours on end.. usually in the middle of the night.. interrupting that 3 hour gap you might, just might, get to sleep in a 48 hour period.

Ya, parents are really selfish.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. draqon Banned Banned

I think its selfish how mothers feel closer to the babies than fathers, because mothers actually gave birth to the baby...

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no we feel closer to babies because we are the ones with them all day all night, the fathers (most of them) go out to work, we do the mothering!

15. Bells Staff Member

Depends on the parents. Usually in those early days, if the mother is breastfeeding, unless she expresses, she will be the one to feed it. So she will be the one to get up with it at all hours of the night.. and day.. to feed it. There is no reason why the father cannot or does not change the nappies, put it to sleep, give it it's bath every day, sing to it, etc. My husband did. He was and still is a full time and hands on parent.

16. draqon Banned Banned

yeah Bells...but still you see it in the child's eyes...they see their mommy as the closest thing to their heart and only than does their father comes...

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

The grammar was fine, although it would have perhaps bean easier to refer to the age old argument 'Altruism does not exist', because it is argued that even seemingly selfless acts please the person doing them in some way, and therefore are motivated by self gratification.

18. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

So you're saying you do all of that for no payback? Why do you do it then? You don't think you were driven by maternal instinct? Despite all of its drawbacks being a mother isn't ultimately worth it? Is that what you're saying?

19. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I agree. You know what I'd like to do? I'd like to produce a person who will actually make the world a better place and then raise him. Get a wife or something with really good genes, great health, strength and high intelligence and desirable personality traits and then have her IVFed with a donor with the same highly desirable attributes. My genes are good compared to people on average, but if I could give my progeny better genes, why not? My life hasn't been easy, the people in my family are predisposed to depression, why would I want to give those problems to my kids? Why not produce children who will have the best tools and hardware to be as happy and successful as possible and who will also make a positive effect on humanity? Then once it's born, I can nurture this piece of brilliance and raise it without telling it it was meant for great things. It will do it simply because that's how it was made. Wouldn't that be much more reasonable and respectable than simply and unthinkingly pinching out a human shaped loaf?

20. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

yeah, I saw that movie

gattaca, was it?

21. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

It's not the exact same thing, but the basic idea is the same.

22. Bells Staff Member

Let me give you an example. It is 1:30am where I am at this very moment. The reason I am not snug in bed, fast asleep is because my youngest one has decided tonight will be a 'be up and play night'. I am trying again to get him to go to sleep and I am waiting up until he is deeply asleep so that I can go and cover him up, so that he does not get cold in the night. He hates being covered up, so we need to wait until after he is asleep. And tonight being a cold night and he has not been well lately, I sit up and wait.. exhausted.. stressed.. but I sit up and wait. That is what I, as his mother, am meant to do.

"Were driven by maternal instinct"? No. That comes after the child was born... well it did for me anyway. Our first child was a shock. I was not supposed to be able to have children.

Is it all worth it in the end? Hell yes. I would not give up my little devils for anything in this world. I would die for them, without question. They are the most important people in our lives. My payback will come, hopefully, in their being healthy and well adjusted, happy individuals.

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

That is sadism on the square....