Good books?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by The-Hybrid, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

SciFi:
    Anything by Heinlein especially Stranger in a Strange Land or Starship Troopers (nothing like movie)

Mike Resnick good author even though most of his books are out of print Kirinyaga is the best one still in print

Hitchhiker Trilogy by Douglass Adams is the best SciFi comedy ever.

Fantasy:
    Wont mention LOTR again
    Terry Pratchett Almost as Good as Douglass Adams but fantasy

Science:
    In search of Schrodingers Cat by John Gribbin (Quantum mechanics is cool)

About Time by Paul Davies Mostly Realativity but cool stuff about k-meson decay too

Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra if your interested in connections between eastern philsophy and modern physics (Im only partially convinced i think i need to read a more neutral book on the subject b4 i decide)

Connections by James Burke Best history of science ever written.

Twisted Paranoid Conspiricy Theory Books:

Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson Turned me a bit paranoid for about a week after reading it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2002
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

David Eddings is SO much better that Prachet

Its SO funny to

especially the way he wrote belgarath the scorcerer

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. esp Registered Senior Member

Oh dear.

I knew someone would say that.

Asguard, Im sending the Wyrd Sisters to get you, even as I write.

Librarians rool OOK

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Actually one of the best books ive read is Legends which was compiled by Robert silverberg

Its a heap of short stories by a lot of major fansy writers to show there different styles

the only bad thing is there is no Eddings in it but you can't have everything

8. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Terry Pratchett ( yes 2 T's ya philistines)

This man is my hero and is also responsible for getting me to read on a daily basis once more. I'd forgotten how good this can be.

What's the big Pratchett attraction?

1) His satirises modern life and replaces us with witches and wizards and the occasional orang utan (Ooook!!) If you ever saw yourselves as masters of magic, these books can fill in the gaps in your imagination.

2) He does so in the most subtly hilarious way (The manner of delivery, not the hilarity

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

3) He writes in fairly short form between sub plots so a good book will take you through about 107 dumps in the can

4) I like a book that I can think of, alone, on the back of a bus and laugh out loud. (Embarrasing or what?)

5) (And if this doesn't sell it fuck all will !!)
    DEATH WALKS THE BOOKS WITH SCYTHE AND HOODED ROBES. HE ALWAYS SPEAKS IN UPPERCASE AND HE RIDES A HORSE.... CALLED BINKY!

Try him

9. Robeson Registered Senior Member

1. The conquest of Gaul - Interesting in that it was written by Caeser and includes a lot of Roman stuff

2. Ender's Game - someone already said this, but I must repeat it. Ender's Game is the first and the best. Don't bother with the follow ups.
    3. The Stone Canal - Ken MacCleod, excellent futurist fiction that also makes a brilliant stab at political theory.
    4. Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K. Dick, bladerunner was based upon this and is a must read for all science fiction people
    5. Slaughterhouse 5 - Vonnegut, everyone should read this
    6. Catch-22 - Heller, excellent anti-war satire

more later

10. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

Dune- awesomely enchanting

anything by Orson Scott Card as Robeson suggested

11. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

I think i must be alone in this but i didn;t really like Dune that much. Thought it was a pointless wast of time reading that. Just thought i'd let everyone know.

12. ??!!?!?_particlename Registered Member

I agree, dune wasn't that great, although I do like the new ones. i.e. Atreides, Harkonnen, et al

13. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

thats too bad i thought dune was awesome and the other ones after it are pretty good too.

14. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Here's a list:
    *Terry Brooks(Shannara books)
    *Robert Asprin(the Myth Series)
    *Christopher Rowley(Bazil Broketail)
    *David Weber(Honor harrington, the paladin books that I can't remember the series name for)
    *David Eddings
    *Margeret Wies and Tracy Hickman(Dragonlance, The Death Gate Cycle, Darksword Trilogy)
    *Orson Scott Card(Ender's Game, etc.)
    *Elizibeth Moon(Paksinarion)
    *Dougalas Adams
    *Anne McCaffrey(Pern, the ship books)
    *Brian Jacques(Redwall)
    *Alan Dean Foster(the Flinx and Commonwealth books)
    *Anything else Dragonlance
    *The Hole in the Ozone Scare(some of doesn't work, but they bring up some good points)
    *Dune wasn't that bad, I've been told that the sequels were, and I enjoyed the the prequels.
    The only classic I read were miscelaneous stuff from school, the only Shaekespeare I read was "Romeo and Juliet" and the only Dickens I read is "Great Expectations." I wouldn't heve read any of it if my teachers hadn't had it in the curriculum.

I'll think of some more later.

Last edited: May 17, 2002
  15. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

i liked great expectations...

16. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

It Must Be Beautiful; Great Equations of Modern Science
    edited by Grahm Farmelo. Twelve chapters, each by the likes of Roger Penrose or Steven Weinberg, dealing with relativity, Schrodinger's wave equation, the Dirac equation, etc.

A Small Treatise On The Great Virtues, by Andre Comte-Spoonville, professor of philosophy at the Sorbonne. A chapter is devoted to each virtue: Politeness, Fidelity, Prudence, Temperance, Courage, Justice, Generosity, Compassion,...
    (Even the names of the virtues are lovely to speak aloud!) A beautifully written book on a beautiful subject.

You won't regret reading the books by the great Harvard biologist Edward O. Wilson: Consilience, Ants, The Future Of Life, etc.

I never tire of recommending Visual Complex Analysis, by Tristan Needham. This is the way mathematics books should be written. It's an old friend. I take it with me on trips, take it with me to bed, and pull it out of my backpack while standing in line at the bank.

It's probably been a decade since I last read a work of fiction, but I used to like Franz Kafka's, The Castle very much.

Happy reading,
    Michael

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what about Fiest?

18. oedipus I enjoy fecal matter Registered Senior Member

anything by edgar allan poe,
    though tis not a book,
    is a enchanting piece of poetry,
    or a thrillig piece of prose.