Going on Safari

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

In some more than in others

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How do you come to the conclusion that raising animals in a factory (on grain grown with pesticides) and then lining them up and killing them en masse in a factory (ground water and air polluter) is a lesser evil than killing 1 animal in the wild where it has a chance to evade death?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

And how do I know that for sure?

But lets say its true, and you genuinely need to hunt animals to survive. That is fair enough.

No, you are being dishonest regarding the gist of this thread. Its about shooting wild game for fun and profit. Choices can be made. I cannot fathom how anyone can shoot a beautiful creature like a leopard or elephant for fun. You seem to be defending this outrage.

We ALL need to consume food to survive and sustain ourselves. If its between me and screaming veggies, I guess the veggies lose.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Not in the least. Where did I say that? I spoke about choices.

I am not sure how you get to this conclusion?

Of course the fact that us humans have teeth designed to tear meat and chew it would indicate that we are meat eaters.

8. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Good point Oleander. I suppose it comes down to choices again. I can choose not to shoot a wild animal for fun, but I am not sure if I can stop the tide of large scale meat production. The meat industry is horrific.

9. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

I can definitely recommend alaska, but doubt you need to spend that much - I spent about 8 weeks there and it cost me about that much, and that included flights from the UK.

A three day out of state fishing licence was only about $20 and accommodation can be as cheap as you want to make it - the campgrounds around Valdez and Seward (especially Seward) are fantastic

The only downside is that fishing for salmon is if anything a little too easy - I was just casting off the beach with a simple silver spinner and a basic 7ft rod in a few spots in Prince Willam sound, and hooking into salmon every 3 or 4 casts.

The halibut fishing is a good chuckle, and they taste fantastic

I don't recommend the salmon shark fishing - they aren't good eating, and we don't really know enough about a K select species like this to be exploiting them yet.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, he really wants to go halibut fishing, mainly because he wants one liek this. (he gets salmon here so he's not too excited about that)

What's a salmon shark?

11. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Adult salmon sharks are medium grey to black over most of the body, with a white underside with darker blotches. Juveniles are similar in appearance but generally lack blotches. The snout is short and cone-shaped, and the overall appearance is similar to a small great white shark.

Salmon shark generally grow to between 200 and 260 cm in length and weigh up to 220 kg[4]. Males appear to reach a maximum size which is slightly smaller than females. Unconfirmed reports exist of salmon shark reaching as much as 4.3 m however the largest confirmed reports indicate a maximum total length of approximately 3 m[3].

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

wow, never even heard of them. Why aren't they on shark week on the Discovery channel. I'm gonna have to write those people.

Thanks Buff!

13. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

What species of salmon are out there, Orleander? Just Atlantic salmon? He'll have a blast fishing for Chinooks in Alaska.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

In Michigan there are Chinook, Coho, Atlantic and Pink Salmon.
    I don't know if he really wants to go salmon fishing. That halibut is looking nice to him.

15. Roman Banned Banned

So outsourcing your killing is the lesser evil?
    Does that make some dumbfuck private in Iraq more evil than Dick Cheney?

16. Roman Banned Banned

It's only arguable if you like sushi.

17. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

Really? I thought Chinooks were Pacific only? That's probably not that exciting for him then. I don't think halibut really fight though, you're essentially just reeling in dead weight. And on the plus side, if he likes to hunt, the bigger ones usually need to be shot to be killed.

18. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Put simply they are a small Great White that eats salmon.

I'm not i favour of shark fishing full stop (unless its tag and release and uses brass hooks which corrode away quickly) as they are slow growing - late maturing, and have few offspring - so its really easy to overpressure a population in a very short time.

Besides, they store urea in their body tissues which turns to amonia if you store the flesh for any period of time which means they taste like (I'm told

) week old urine