God's authorship self evident???

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Michael, Jul 23, 2009.

?

Is God's authorship self evident???

1. Hell Yes, we're talking GOD! He da man!

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Frack no, humans are idiots!

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. what's the pretty Chinese mean?

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I have no idea what a God would do. I cannot make rules like you seem to be able to do. I cannot fathom what many people do, let alone what would be an entity I share very little experience with. I have no ideas what notions of justice such a creature would have. You are also assuming the God is omnipotent, which admittedly Christians do. Perhaps that is not the case either.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mike47 Banned Banned

The last part was not serious at all..... . a little joke went unnoticed about their father .
    The other arguments were following reason and logic of course .
    I am going to sleep and I hope I will dream some logic too .

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I didn't say anything about following a book. I am specifically interested in if people KNOW the book authored by God.

The fact is it isn't known. People just think it is authored from God.

As I said before, most people NOW KNOW that smoking is not good for them and less people smoke. IF people KNEW and truly believed they'd die from smoking - even less would smoke. But, again that's not the point.

IF I knew a book was authored from a God. I'd give it a read

THAT'S STILL not the point!

And it wouldn't matter if I followed what the book said either

See the difference?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

ahhh, unbiased words from a fresh wise atheist, hope you can resist the infection more than the rest of us..

i told you, yes, they should know.
    uh, how is that a fact?
    i think that's exactly the point, and i don't believe anyhow that people now that they know smoking kills are smoking less, they're smoking now as they ever were, and advance in science or whatever IMO will not change that.

are you seriously honest or are you trying to compromise a bit?

how will you truly know it's the word of god if you didn't read it?

you could follow what people say of course, but truth seekers like us who don't accept the tiniest doubt are not content with what others tell them, are they?
    ???
    how does that doesn't matter? if that doesn't matter then what does? what are you trying to accomplish here?

i'm afraid not.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

As soon as you opened the book and began to read it, the authorship would be self-evident to any and every person who reads it - everyone would KNOW the author was God. That's the thing about being self-evident to all people - it's self evident to all people. And, it IS possible for god to write such a book - as a matter of fact, it would be very very very very simple.

There is no such book in existence.

Agreed?
    M

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Bullshit. It's not my god.

10. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

scifes,

It wouldn't matter what language this book was written in. It could be written in Tar-Eltharin (the language of the High Elves). You would open the book and you would know, yup, THIS book has been Authored by God.

It's that simple.

There are no such books in existence - are there?

11. swarm Registered Senior Member

I was chatting with god the other day and he said he wrote it, but his publisher rejected it.

Go figure.

12. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

no, not agreed.
    the quran is self evident.

does the quran force people into becoming muslims? no it doesn't.

but if you want me to say no, the quran doesn't force the information into the brain of it's reader, then ok, no.

why doesn't it force the information into it's reader's brain? i don't know, i know we all have choice, why didn't god vanquish all doubt, cuz then we'd be forced to believe and would all be in heaven, why didn't that happen? i don't know, but i know what's happening now and how things ARE, not how i think they should be, and am dealing with it.

yes it would be wounderful to be created in hevan to begin with, but i won't disbelieve in god because of that, that's like someone going back into his mothers womb because he was born poor, or maybe back his father's....

you sdould be old enough to know that not everything goes as you please.
    um, yes there are, surprise!!

13. Doreen Valued Senior Member

It seems most atheists seem to know how a God would necessarily act if there was one. This is as religious a position and as wild a claim to knowledge as any theist's.

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

no, that is not true. You are fibbing scifes, stop that!
    The Qur'an seems to be written by God to YOU. But to most people on Planet Earth - no, it seems to be written by men.

In the exact same way that the Bible seems to be written by God to a Christian. But to most people on Planet Earth - no, it's seems to be written by men.

In the exact same way that the Book of Mormons seems to be written by God to a Mormon. But to most people on Planet Earth - no, it's seems to be written by men.

In the exact same way that the Books of Scientology seems to be written by an Alien Overload to a Scientologist. But to most people on Planet Earth - no, it's seems to be written by man smoking weed or playing a seriously funny joke, that went seriously wrong.

Now, once again, it would not matter what language this book was written in. It could be written in Tar-Eltharin (the language of the High Elves). You would open the book and you would know, yup, THIS book has been Authored by God.

It's that simple.

IS there such a book in existence?
    No, there is not.

Do you agree?
    Michael

15. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Or as well.

To say this should be the case presupposes quite a bit of knowledge about how a universe and a God must be. I can barely fathom the thinking of most humans, let alone the qualities and most likely behavior of a deity, which would by definition, be something less like me, I would guess, than other humans.

Once anyone, including obviously atheists, starts saying things like

If there is a God, then this God would act such that _____________

they are metaphysicians of the same degree as theists.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

yes, you are correct.

I was thinking along the lines of there are all these religions in the world and if they stopped to realize that they are all the same, well, that would be a good thing. But, that's not going to happen. Maybe the Buddhists can appreciate this line of reasoning. Monotheists? Very unlikely.

How about a appetizer of religious strife, a main serving of Oil wrapped in Crusades with a side of sectarian violence, rounded off with ice cold splash of religious bigotry and snot-nosedness.

religious conflict it is,
    M

17. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

-=-

Doreen

There is background to the OP. It didn't simply pop out of his head. It isn't simply if there were A GOD, how would it act.
    Theists claim to know how their gods act & that their Holy Babbles ARE OBVIOUSLY written by their gods & they push that "knowledge" on others & condemn them for not accepting it.
    Theists persisent claims of what their gods want do not fit what is happening. It all depends on what gods' goals are & childish selfish myopic gods might do inexplicable things. Yet if the claim of a god wanting everyone to know it exists & wanting everyone to live a certain way were accurate, logicly an omnipotent omniscient god would accomplish such.

Bullshit. It's not my god.

You are the 1 applying what you please to everything & everyone.
    It's 1 thing to state your beliefs & attempt to discuss things in general yet you should be mature enough to not make such specific assertions about me. You cannot even support your general claims. I will not accept such specific statements about me.
    You are wrong & it needs to stop.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  18. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Yes, I am aware of that. But that is the place to keep the focus. Once you start telling theists that a god should/would/must act in a certain way you are making claims that, in the end, are very hard to back up and be consistant.
    Yes, a great number of theists do this. I am not sure how atheists adding their own assertions about what a God would have to be like if one existed helps this situation.
    It certainly doesn't make the atheists' assertions any more supportable.

It seems to me that if an omnipotent God wanted us all to do and believe certain things, it could make this happen directly. Though this smacks of the Christian God of the theologists of the Middle Ages, a god that added in complicating factors like free will and a fallen world making it very hard for me to state 'this syllogism must encapsulate God.'

And then there are other versions.

19. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Aaaah. Human conflict it is. Theists, atheists, people who never give a shit, they all find ways to go to war, kill, rape and manipulate others to do it.

20. mike47 Banned Banned

If you take a math problem and follow it , you will come to a certain solution according to your knowledge and your logic . We have here an issue of IF this is correct what will happen . Of course there is no 100% correct answer since we are dealing with the big IF . However it is healthy to discuss such issues from all points of view .

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

You are yet missing the point.
    If 1 WANTS something & has the power to accomplish it, it will be done.
    IF there is an omniscient omnipotent god, it OBVIOUSLY does not want me to know it exists. Plain&simple. No ifs, ands or buts.

22. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

yes we do, but, it's within our grasp to put a stop to it. Or so I hope.

23. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I am not sure you will bring it closer by trying to show over and over that religious people are irrational.

Or is it your experience that this is reducing splits and anger?