godless people,

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Mar 7, 2006.

1. if your views on religion are stupid, it is someones right to name them as such. dont engage in a debate if you cant debate properly or present facts (which is what many theists here do) and then expect to be treated as intelligent.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

well what you just said there is subjective,

if you think something is stupid then thats your opinion,

i think the BB theory is "stupid" but i dont go insulting people who believe in it,

yes to you as it is to me, but how can we justify insulting other people over their personal beliefs, that is how religious wars start, if we cant be respectfull of other peoples personal faith and belief, how can we call ourselves intelligent? wouldent a truley wise person not insult others for thier belief system?

would you say you are trying to convert religious people into believing what you personally believe?

peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i wasnt aware that i ignored your first post, sorry if i did,

and yes i said "stupid" but if you look closely i didnt call anyone in particular stupid, so it was not a direct insult, but look at it for a second ok, if you are not religious and you claim all religion is so so so stupid and pointless, wouldent it be "stupid" to trouble yourself with religious matters?, if your views on religion were "its utter BS" then how isnt it "stupid" to concern alot of your time and effort talking about such matters that you class as "BS",

and yes athiests and theists, this does include athiests but dont get that confused, i am not generalising about athiests in general, but i am saying alot of militant athiests do this to religious people, i just dont want this turning into a theist Vs athiest war can you understand this?, there will be no proggress if we just say this is thiest Vs athiest, understand?.

and this is in the religious forum because that is where most of the insulting seems to be going on, this has alot to do with religious people, so i put it int he religion sub forum,

this is to do with religious and non religious people, but i realy dont want it turning into a thiest Vs athiest thing. but yes i will admit it is directed at many militant athiests, but dont confuse that with the truth of my post, im not bashing athiests, i am an athiest myself you have to understand that,

peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. its fair to say that you make a lot of wrong assumptions. many of the atheists here may indeed think that religion is a stupid idea, a fantasy, or just foolish in general, but that doesnt mean it is a waste of time to be concerned with its effects. i personally think religion is idiotic, but that doesnt make it any less real, and that doesnt negate the detrimental effects it has on society and world affairs. to ignore it as if it didnt exist would be even stupider. however, engaging people in discussion about why they believe, forcing them to defend their ideas with some kind of fact, or just generally increasing awareness of how illogical, obselete, and damaging most religious doctrines are is the only real way of making progress toward their eventual non-existence as a socio-political force. if you sometimes encounter a particularly stubborn or fanatical theist, they may refuse to use logic, twist history, or just straight up deny that they are wrong in the face of large amounts of factual evidence. this type of behavior is really frustrating and stupid, but it still effects us. from my point of view, religious belief factors into what kind of political representatives we have, what kind of conflicts my country gets involved in or doesnt get involved in, what level of personal freedom you have, and whether your tax money is spent in your best interests. so even though religion is stupid, it effects the lives of atheists. thats why we care about it. your assumptions are just sophomoric and overly simplistic and fail to take into account anything but your own singular opinion.

8. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

An insult is just as much an insult when you insult everyone in a group as it is when you insult them one at a time.

Most certainly not. If I did not "trouble myself" over these issues, I would have no clue as to the horseshit teachers are shoving down my daughter's throat. If I did not "trouble myself" over these issues, the religious would continue to try and walk all over me with their "god did this" and "god did that" crap that has literally burnt itself a place in modern western society - from bank notes to courts, anthems to various, and now largely, superstitious physical actions.

It is only because of those that have taken an active stance that we can even now stand in a court without having to place our hands on a bible and swear on a being we don't even believe in. It is only because of those that take an active stance that evolution has retained it's place in science class while 'creation' can't achieve that place.

In saying all this, you also never have an argument worth the attention if you are not well versed on the subject matter. I cannot and will not debate with my wife over what is the best hair conditioner or eyeshadow - because I have not spent my time studying and understanding the topic. Now when I end up in a real life situation concerning religion, I find myself much better equipped to deal with it and get the fundie off my doorstep.

In short: you're wrong.

Explained above.

Was hard not to, I only saw you calling atheists stupid.

It never was and it always was.. can you understand that? Your whole "don't insult each other" speech is sweet, but a tad naive. Atheists and theists have been at it for decades, for centuries. Along comes emptyforce and says: "please be nice". Come on.

All of us try. The atheist tries to be nice for no good reason whatsoever, and the theist tries to be nice because god tells him to be. Sometimes we both fail. The atheist gets over it, the theist repents for a month, (or decides god law means diddly squat). It's life.

Very few people specifically want to "war", but it sometimes happens. It can happen as much with religion as it can with who's doing the grocery shopping this week. While I understand we don't want "wars" to occur, there's absolutely no justification in telling atheists not to argue while also calling them all stupid.

Sure, you'll find religion and politics generally cause the most "wars" - thus is their very nature. However, trying to prevent something that has been going on for millennia seems like a complete waste of effort. We argue, we get over it, we move on.

You keep saying that, and yet that's exactly what you turned it into. You started your entire speech by labelling atheists as stupid. What more can you ask for?

But for some bizarre reason, no militant theists...

What "truth" of your post?

Firstly, it's "atheist".. and secondly I know very few atheists that sit there and label every other atheist as stupid. Thirdly I do believe it was you who believes in a "god like energy that created the universe" - but not a god, although as far as I see it, it's one and the same thing.

9. name a war thats broken out over religion where one side was atheist. affiliation with an organized religion precludes respect for other religious viewpoints or viewpoints of non-belief. oh, there may be the pretense of respect, but at the end of the day it does not exist at all. at the end of the day, christians think i'm going to hell because i dont believe. how is that respectful?

no, i am trying to keep them from defining the rules by which i am allowed to live my life. if i am forced to attempt to make them think as i do to accomplish this goal, i will. however, i would love it if religious people would just say, ok we believe what we believe, but there must be a different logic and fact based standard for morality, justice, education...etc. in the public sphere. the simple fact is that religious people refuse to do this because they believe so strongly that their own views are correct.