God is scientifically REALL

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Fred, Apr 10, 2001.

1. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Allow me to interject ...

<blockquote>
    <font size="1">quote:</font>
    <hr>
    <i>Originally posted by Deadwood:</i>
    I heard it said ealier in this thread that a Christian Scientist is somewhat of an oxymoron. So science isn't actually about learning and finding things now is it.

To become a scientist you can believe what you like. Why should you be limited by an atheist belief? Do you feel threatened or scared, you should be and rightly so.
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

Science <i>isn't</i> about learning and finding things ... ? I see you've spent a good deal of time studying and pondering the writings of God, then. Being an atheist is somehow limiting? By tony1's definition, this would be taken in the literal sense--that atheism equates to death (eventually). Obviously you've never entertained an atheist's perspective, even for show. Threatened or scared is not the emotive force behind such thoughts. Are threats and fear the means by which you would "convert" others, then?

<blockquote>
    <hr>
    Ever heard of Jesus Christ or the Bible. This is God's way of telling you that He exists. Jesus healed many and brought a couple of people back from the dead. If thats not proof, then look at one of my church ministers ...
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

Jesus Christ? Oh, yeah. He's the one that taught about divisiveness, right? Isn't it interesting that Christians take quite an affront to anything derogatory towards Christ, but can take whatever is directed at God? Could this be an unconscious realization that God <i>may</i> indeed be at fault in some instances, whereas Christ represents all the good that God <i>could have</i> been if only he'd done a little better. I take it you've read the Bible, then. Quite a piece of work. My favorite section would be the Old Testament, because it seems the most poetic (and it's rather straightforward as well). Is it proof that God exists? Not necessarily. Is it proof that someone in the past thought that God exists? Yes.

And doesn't everyone (myself included) have an experience in which some form of healings have been propagated? The mind taps an amazing ability, though I haven't really looked into Scientology recently. Have a headache, try and circumvene the headache by understanding it (through neuroscience) and blocking it through the proper release of inhibitors from the endocrine system. Put a name on it, say, Jesus and it's healed. Jesus, then, becomes the means by which the healing has the desired effect. If you would have said, Ronaldo, it would have the same effect, as long as your mind can incorporate the belief that saying 'Ronaldo' will have a beneficial effect on your system. In short, doesn't it seem that people are being healed throughout this planet, whether they believe in Christ or not? That's great that your minister is capable of healing people. Seriously. Anyone that's trying to help others is keen in my sight.

BTW, tony1 doesn't give a rat's ass how the work is going in Vanuatu. This is not meant to be detrimental to your point on this one, but to show that, most likely, tony1 wouldn't even consider you to be Christian. In fact, tony1would probably think that the word 'Christian' is a misnomer perpetuated by the Catholics. Just a side note, there.

<blockquote>
    <hr>
    His spirit spreads like wild fire through these people.
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

Ever wonder why it spreads like wildfire in third-world nations? My brother did some proselyting in South America and, man, the word spread like wildfire down there as well. I did some in Japan and, guess what? Not a lot of spreading up there. Different culture? Sure. The only point, though? No. My brother said that the average educational level of the people he was acquainted with was equated to a 12-year old. As for my experience? We'll say that they're pretty good thinkers. IOTW, it would seem that the lower the education level, the more likely someone is to embrace religion, specifically Chrisitianity; while, conversely, the greater the educational level, the more likely someone will <i>NOT</i> embrace religion. Hmm. Wonder why. Why are people commanded to drink the milk (principles) and abstain from the meat (doctrine)? Because the doctrine is where all the questions crop up. But, a diet that consists solely on milk will lead to malnutrition.

So, Deadwood, although I disagree with your manner of teaching, I do think it is good that people are out there (like your minister) that have some talent in helping others. Talents such as those should never be buried. But other talents shouldn't be discounted either.

peace,

prag

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Sorry Pragmathen for not being as clear in my language. what I mean was that by saying that a Christian scientist is an oxymoron you are implying that science is not about learning and finding things. perhaps I should have added a question mark to the end of my statement and it would make more sense.

Sorry again, I thought you would understand again what I was implying. I was saying that whoever thinks that a Christian scientist is an oxymoron and that scientists should only be scientist must feel threatened by Christian scientists and what they could achieve. I was saying that those people should be scared because in these Christian scientists hands is the means to prove that God exists even more, that is why I said you should be scared(if your atheist) and with good reason because your faith in no God is at risk. I was not talking about the coming judgement and fire and brimstone as you thought I was.

A couple of good Christian scientist/archeology sites is
    www.answersingenesis.org and
    http://www.biblerevelations.org/ronwyatt.htm
    http://www.wyattmuseum.com

They each are very good.

Yes I know this is a silly tendency that some Christians have. If I have ever done this then please give me an example. Christ is equal with God, in fact He is part of the Godhead. I think the reason why they do that is because they have that picture of a man in there head and thus because they can personify Christ since He came to Earth as a man, they automatically feel offended. However, what they forget is that God can defend himself as well.

Yes, I love the Old Testament as well. I find it extremely interesting and edifying. A lot of it is poetry, and the sections about the law is extremely straight forward as you say. I have not read the whole bible. I would have only read about half of it over the years. I've read most of the New Testament, if not all, I wouldn't really know because I havn't read it from cover to cover. I read the whole of the Torah(The five books of Moses) except for about half of Deutoronomy. Some of the Prophets. Some of the Proverbs. However, definitely not enough of the Psalms. God usually leads me to verses I need anyway.

So you actually know that God exists because science hasn't apperantly proved Him. However, you believe mind taps exist even though science hasn't even proved this either.

BTW my minister doesn't know anything about neuroscience if any. I think he might actually have a background in science but I wouldn't know what. Also, if my minister and the other church member who said to say Jesus doesn't know about brain surgery nor have an understanding of it, then how would they be able to mind tap? They don't know anything about this, only Christian stuff.

So how does our mind bring back the dead anyway? I always thought it was the Holy spirit who breathes life.

Actually, the word Christian first originated in Atioch.

Acts 11:26

and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

Mark 10:15

I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.[/i]

Actually, I see doctrine as very important. It is one of the most important aspects when finding a church.

2 Timothy 4:3

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Sadly, I see this happening today. I listen to some preachers and see that they distort parts of the truth to in a bid to make more people convert. It is a sad fact of life. However, unfortunate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

just a little thought
    if i was a scientist.......(would love to have all sorts of knowledge)
    looking to prove ...or dis-prove something is a
    premis of what the task at hand is.
    but... to dissmis the findings once a lead has been established is to be the oxymoron in this instance....?
    maybe a true un biassed scientist would think...
    what can i develop from this point or ... what other possibilties does this leed to.
    just a little thought
    from a little thought guy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

statements are "endings" and thus we dont end...so
    "belife of" in its self is an obstical to look upon as a filter or barrier and try and place in perspective

groove on all

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FA_Q2 Member Registered Senior Member

“ So you actually know that God exists because science hasn't apperantly proved Him. However, you believe mind taps exist even though science hasn't even proved this either.

BTW my minister doesn't know anything about neuroscience if any. I think he might actually have a background in science but I wouldn't know what. Also, if my minister and the other church member who said to say Jesus doesn't know about brain surgery nor have an understanding of it, then how would they be able to mind tap? They don't know anything about this, only Christian stuff.

So how does our mind bring back the dead anyway? I always thought it was the Holy spirit who breathes life.”

Science has proven and explained mind taps. Nether person needs to understand what they are or how they work for it to happen. It is usually done sublimely. The real question I have is weather your minister is a fake or not. Many people do healings while hundreds watch and are fakes. They are staged or play off of ignorance. The most famous group I can think of actually removes growths from the body with their hands. No cuts and no scars are left behind and there is little blood involved. It is all fake though yet these people in third world nations are ignorant enough to believe them. They have long lines of people traveling from miles away to get a chance to see them. Your minister may be like them, a fake. Why hasn’t he gone to a hospital? Why are these healings in third world nations? It smells of ulterior motives.

8. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

This is precisely why "Christian scientist" is an oxymoron. I'm not coming out here to defend "mind taps" (whatever that means), but the point is this: a scientist is always in search of mechanistic explanations for all phenomena and objects. Whereas any religion (Christianity included) presupposes a supernatural, non-mechanistic influence in the world. This is the main difference between science and religion.

A "scientist" who is "Christian", is a person in conflict. They must suspend their faith while engaging in their trade, yet resume the faith at all other times. Not only is this hypocritical and inconsistent, but in all practicality it is also humanly impossible -- our minds simply don't work like that. At best, the "Christian" science merely consists of constantly emerging hypotheses in agreement with the Bible that subsequently get disproved (or had already been disproven a long time ago.) At worst, it turns into pseudoscience and snake oil.

Aside from the primary hypocrisy involved, the second major fault of "Christian" science is its inherent lack of objectivity. It does not start unbiased from ground zero; instead, it presupposes enough unsubstantiated axyoms to fill a very thick book -- and it apriori refuses to ever reconsider any one of those axyoms. This is fundamentally and irreconcilably inconsistent with scientific methodology.

9. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

and if you dont agree with borris...
    you can feel confident in the fact that you are a true cristian... LOL
    i dont see how anyone could add to what borris has said because its so compleete in its basic deffinition...
    soo much so one could only hope some cristians will "see the light" and strep away from such
    perverse thought.
    groove on all

10. Emerald Registered Senior Member

Deadwood,

Surprise, surprise, surprise! I see something quite different when I read that verse. Here, let me put it in context first (and this is from the KJV):

<font color="red">Mark 10:13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.

Mark 10:14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

Mark 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.</font>

Now, if you take a look at the concordance to see the word translated to "as" in the phrase "as a little child", you will see several possible meanings:

<font color="blue">5613 hos {hoce}

probably from comparative from 3739;; adv

AV - as 342, when 42, how 18, as it were 20, about 14, misc 56; 492

1) as, like, even as, etc.</font>

So basically what I'm seeing here is that Jesus is telling people they must brainwash their children while they're still very young and malleable, otherwise their efforts at indoctrination will be ineffective. Proverbs 22:6 was perhaps a bit more straightforward in its advice to parents:

<font color="red">Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.</font>

Emerald

11. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Perhaps I jumped the gun ...

<blockquote>
    <hr>
    <i>Originally posted by Deadwood:</i>
    Sorry again, I thought you would understand again what I was implying. I was saying that whoever thinks that a <i>Christian</i> scientist is an oxymoron and that scientists should only be scientist must feel threatened by Christian scientists and what they could achieve. I was saying that those people should be scared because in these Christian scientists hands is the means to prove that God exists even more, that is why I said you should be scared(if your atheist) and with good reason because your faith in no God is at risk. I was not talking about the coming judgement and fire and brimstone as you thought I was.
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

This is an interesting point, Deadwood. You're right, I didn't understand it initially from your original point of view. However, I don't think the issue is whether someone [atheists] should be scared or not. If your God does indeed exist, then I like to think that most atheists would love to have a sit-down one-on-one chat with this supreme being. If you see your God as vindictive, then it would make sense that <i>you</i> would feel rather scared when confronting your God. But, since atheists do not believe in your God (which doesn't necessarily discount His existence in your perspective), it makes no sense to entertain thoughts of fear when encountering him. So, even though you say you weren't speaking of fire and brimstone, why did you say that atheists have reason to be scared and for good reason?

<blockquote>
    <hr>
    Yes I know this is a silly tendency that some Christians have. If I have ever done this then please give me an example. Christ is equal with God, in fact He is part of the Godhead. I think the reason why they do that is because they have that picture of a man in there head and thus because they can personify Christ since He came to Earth as a man, they automatically feel offended. However, what they forget is that God can defend himself as well.
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

Good point, here. The very fact that Christ came down as a man personifies and endears him to others, where God is seen as a visiting uncle, if there at all. It is easier to consider God as ethereal and most difficult to picture Christ as insubstantial. I was playing tennis with my brother last summer when he asked if I still respected Jesus for what he's done for me. I replied that I thought Jesus was a great man, though I do disagree with his methodology and some other points. He immediately took offense, to which I replied, "Look. It shouldn't matter what <i>I</i> think of Christ, but what you think of him. Who cares if some schmoe doesn't respect Christ? The fact that you do is all that matters." I find it interesting, even now, that he didn't ask what I thought about God.

<blockquote>
    <hr>
    Yes, I love the Old Testament as well...
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

Well, I'm going to digress a bit here and say that I actually loved the Old Testament quite a lot when I used to read through it. The story of John and Saul, David (the person in the entire Bible that I have ultimate respect for), the funny experience where Samuel was being called by the angel, and the horrendous trials endured by Job rank up there for some excellent reading. So, even though you haven't read the whole book, I wouldn't worry that much (and I'm not saying that from an atheist perspective). Read what makes an impression on you. If you read something that makes you want to do good to others, then by all means read it. I think a misunderstanding occurs when people think of atheists. Atheists are not ravenous wolves who detest anything scriptural. They just have an entirely different viewpoint on the validity of what is written. That doesn't mean that the Bible is worthless by any means. It just means that atheists read it differently (when they read it, that is).

<blockquote>
    <hr>
    So you actually know that God exists because science hasn't apperantly proved Him. However, you believe mind taps exist even though science hasn't even proved this either.
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

I don't think I know what a mind tap is. If you're talking about revelation, well then I could take issue with that, but I'm not sure. Please explain this part to me.

<blockquote>
    <hr>
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

Actually, you don't have to know about neuroscience for an aspirin to work. If you wanted to find out why it works, you could study about it and find out, though. IOTW, I won't say that healers don't exist in this world. I will say that these healers don't need to be Christian. Which tells me that being a healer is independent from being a practicing Christian as well, which implies that if there was a God, then he wouldn't care if a healer worshiped him or not. So, your minister could be a fake, like FA_Q2 mentioned, or he could be one of these rare healers in the world. And, like FA_Q2 said, the fact that your minister performs these healings in third-world countries makes me wonder. Why not <i>indeed</i> go to the local hospital and make some rounds in the chemotherapy rooms?

<blockquote>
    <hr>
    So how does our mind bring back the dead anyway? I always thought it was the Holy spirit who breathes life.
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

I rather liked this point. I like to think that, like tiassa said in another post, our <i>mind</i> brings back the dead. IOTW, when we think of those that have died, we are in effect resurrecting them in our memory. They live and breathe just as they did before. We have a full, virtual environment in which to remember them, replete with surround-sound and external cues. Thus, the dead really never die as long as there is someone left to remember them.

Also, the point about the Holy Spirit deserves a response. When you go see a movie such as Braveheart and watch some exceptionally piercing (emotional) scene, do you ascribe those feelings to the Holy Spirit? Or, do you, instead, ascribe those feelings to some inner yearning of the soul? Or something else? Some churches will tell you, when you attend them, that, "That feeling you feel when you're here? It's the Holy Spirit telling you that what you're hearing is true." Not necessarily. I believe that it's some form of communication that everyone is capable of feeling. IMHO, this feeling is not limited to the religious (for it is possible to be spiritual without being religious) and it cannot be generated at will. The point? Just that, whether we realize it or not, no one has full reign over this particular feeling. Maybe I'm just rambling.

<blockquote>
    <hr>
    Actually, I see doctrine as very important. It is one of the most important aspects when finding a church.
    <hr>
    </blockquote>

Doctrine is indeed important. But if you focus on it long enough, it's only a matter of time before one of two things happen:

1. You become disgruntled with the way that particular piece of doctrine is being promulgated and therefore must leave that religious establishment and either look elsewhere or not at all.
    2. You learn something that you don't think you should know or that you don't think you can handle and so it goes on the back burner along with a multitude of other religious inconsistencies because, as God said, "Thy ways are not my ways."

Anyway, thanks for the response. We have relatively the same number of posts, which I thought was pretty cool. Sorry for the tone in that previous post. I did misunderstand your point of view.

peace,

prag

12. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Ahhh Deadwood, deadwood, deadwood

Just when I thought I couldn't laugh harder (thanks to Fred LOL, champion joker) along comes deadwood with the ol'

"Ever heard of Jesus Christ or the Bible. This is God's way of telling you that He exists. Jesus healed many and brought a couple of people back from the dead. If thats not proof, then look at one of my church ministers. "

Yes I have heard of both Jesus Christ and the bible...it all stems from the same source many people choose to take as fact and don't require proof...now let me ask you something Deadwood, ever heard of Santa Clause and his home in the northpole??? do you believe he comes to visit nice children once a year? do you also believe he flies in a slay being pulled by flying reindeer and the head reindeer has a red nose??? because if you don't I'd really like to know the difference between the Santa story and your god, which one has more "proof" of their existance??

I'll end with this: are you seriously trying to convince me your god exists because there are people out there who claim they can heal with prayer (and worse others who believe them)....baaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha!!! your a classic. Don't worry mate santa is coming and the easter bunny has just been.

ROFLMAO!!!!! I must admit if christains ever wake up to themselves and stop being so irrational I'm going to miss the entertainment.

13. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

nearly forgot...

Deadwood I asked a question, you quoted it in your reply and still no answer whats with that??? its really a VERY simple question, the only thing I ask is you answer it without resorting to "christain science", I'd like a rational response please.

Side note:
    I should have used the "christain science" angle at Uni, I would have passed with straight distinctions...I mean you can make it up as you go along and if you paint yourself into a corner just say god made it so, and no further explaination is needed.

14. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

rambler
    you aint rambling!
    gave me a good LOL
    note* isnt it funny how cristians seem so arrogant about there belifes inspite of others who say ive got an open mind
    have you ever heard a cristian say "im not sure but ive got an open mind"

groove on

15. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Rambler

I was just asking you where abouts this is in the bible?
    If you're talking about Jesus, His will is the Father's. God is incapable of lying.

It was my ministers first mission. Actually, one of the group members, the same as who told the person who had a stroke to say Jesus, asked the minister there if anyone had been healed. They didn't know whether people were being healed or not. How could they fake a healing, if they didn't even know if the person had been healed or not. I assure you, there were no fakes involved, it would be to bring down Christ to do such a thing, nor would it be Christian.

Go to http://www.biblerevelations.org/ronwyatt/lordlord.htm
    I urge you to see the fate of such deceivers.

I am sorry also to give the impression that everyone my minister lays hands on is healed. I did not mean to give this impression. God does not heal everyone who asks, even people with this rare gift know this. It is of God's right choosing who is healed.

People have been healed in our church, people would no the illness, so they could testify it was not a fake.

I would like to say again that it is really annoying having these so called miracle healings and healers that are outright fakes. I can see by reading what you have to say that it has damaged your view on such healings. I can see very clearly why. However, I would also like to say why it is that there are healers who are not of God. It should be noted that demons have the power to make us ill. Read the book of Job if you are unfamiliar with this (you only have to read the first few chapters-go to www.biblegateway.com and write something like Job 1-3 in the passage look up).

So when these people who demons have made sick are healed it is merely by taking away the illness which they put in the person in the first place. Please read the website above, for a more in depth look.

Yes, he does visit the ill. Healings are in both first world and third world. That is your opinion, I can only assure you of my opinion. Why would I lie to you about this in the first place? As I said before, that would be bringing down Christ.

Boris

While Christianity presupposes there is a God. Atheism pressuposses there isn't. Both scientists inherently have presuppositions before even starting experiments and finding evidence.

BTW I love your terms pseudoscience and snake oil.

It just sounds funny to me.

Actually the verse was saying how you must trust God as a child trusts their parents. If people in third world countries do this. It is to there blessing. I do try my best not to take the bible out of context, for this is the word of God, we are talking about.

Matthew 5:3
    Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 6:20
    Looking at his disciples, he said: "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.

The poor are most likely to come to Christ then the rich.

You may be thinking that Jesus sounds like one of those cult leaders who do this for power and money. However, Jesus didn't have much money, He didn't know where His next meal would be coming from, nor would he know where He was going to stay next. Also, a cult leader after gaining so much money would not be mocked and die one of the worst ways that mankind has conjured up in history.

To Pragmathen
    Because they have the power to prove God scientifically once and for all. However, I think this will take a lot for some. Probably a lot more than I think.

Luke the writer of one of the four gospels(he also wrote Acts) in the New Testament was actually a doctor. He was supposed to be one of the most intelligent of our time. He wrote how when the Roman soldier pierced Jesus' side, the water and blood were seperated. Though he didn't know it at the time, this was discovered later by scientists of what happens in our kidneys after we die.

I hate it when people take offense. You usually find that people take offense at things when they are uncomfortable with it. I used to see this among some of the Muslim population at my school. You can tell when you've proven Jesus is the Christ, because they suddenly turn off from listening, even though they were the ones who first told me why He isn't.

I only really started reading the bible about three probable now four years ago, and the old testament was basically all I read. Before then,I used to jst read the children's bible. I would have been 14 when I began to read the actual bible.

If you don't mind telling me, what religion were you and what are you now? Is your brother Jewish? Because you mentioned he was proselyting in south America, I found out last night when I was reading Hebrews and the foot note, had Proselyte as some kind of Jewish thing.

To Prag
    This is true to us, but try to tell the dead person that.
    It is more the memory of them hasn't died. This is more of a philosophical point. From a philosophical point of view the person is still alive in your heart. But dead in this world.

I know, Christians are taught not to trust there feelings. Sometimes genuinely you can feel the Holy Spirit, other times it can be your imagination. So it annoys me to when people go ascribing feelings just to try to bring on some sort of spiritual experience. I feel sorry for those people.

I must also tell you that my minister on his trip didn't tell the people about these things. So when they were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in toungues and even fall in the Spirit they could not come back and tell him that he made them do these things. He says that when praying over someone for an infilling of the Holy Spirit he doesn't touch them, so as later they can't say that he caused them to fall. Trust me, I have been prayed over by one women who was physically pushing my fore head so hard that I was almost getting a neck cramp. I'm not one of those to try to generate a spiritual experience. I do not think that God would honour such a mentality.

By issue no.1 are you talking about how certain scripture is taken out of context? Then I agree.

Also for issue no.2 you will find that there is usually an answer that is non contradictory. The hardest part is looking and most importantly praying.

In all instances, if the church does not measure up to the doctrine then you should go and find a new church.

Rambler

Santa Claus was originally St Nicholas a real man who walked this Earth. He used to go out on the street each Christmas and give children gifts. This is where the tradition stems from. However, what I don't agree with is the notion that if you're naughty you don't get any presents. I believe people should say if you repent and turn to Jesus Christ then you will receive many.

Also, did I answer your question above. I'm sorry I did not really understand what you were asking, that why I asked where abouts it is. I am not perfect, I am human just like you are. I do not have an understanding of everything, however the bible does help me a lot, wheter you respect that is up to you. However, I am glad I brought a smile to your face. At least I made you day.

Thanks for reading.
    I hope I answered some of your questions to the best of my somewhat limited ability. As this is probably the biggest post I have ever done!

Take care!

16. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

A few minor points:

1) Christianity presupposes a great whopping deal more than a mere existence of <u>a</u> god. And actually on second thought, that's not at all a minor point.

2) Atheism is the natural state of mind. It is the tabula rasa, the blank page. It is how all humans are born. Lack of belief in a god is not a "presupposition" -- it is the fundamental starting point.

3) The "presuppositions" of scientists arise from existing theories and observations, which in turn are based on past theories and observations, and so on down the ladder to the most basic and fundamental "theories" (such as the "theory" of electromagnetic behavior of matter presupposed by the construction of the human eye) and fundamental observations (such as "I exist"). Thus, "presuppositions" is a misnomer when applied to science; the proper term might be "theories", or "models".

4) On the other hand, when it comes to religions, "presuppositions" are just that -- presuppositions. At some point in distant history, they were actually the most advanced science of the time -- and they <u>were</u> science, because attempting to explain existence is precisely what they were about. Of course, they were very poor science by modern standards, and for a great many reasons. Needless to say, no well-educated person would favor these ancient pseudo-models and semi-theories above modern science.

17. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Re: St. Nick et al

Just some random info about our various "Christian" rituals, for everyone's amusement...

I've always wondered about the connection between the alleged resurrection of Jesus and the egg-laying rabbit. So, I finally went and looked it up. Here's from Encyclopedia Britannica, for everyone else's benefit:

Concerning Christmas, there's an interesting story behind the Christmas Tree:

18. Fred Registered Member

Re: AHHHHHH HA HA HA HA

Well, it is cold in outerspace. So, I don'tthink it would boil, it would freeze.

19. FA_Q2 Member Registered Senior Member

" Well, it is cold in outerspace. So, I don'tthink it would boil, it would freeze."

OK,
    Ill go slow so you can understand this fred.

First of all evaporation can happen in cold environments. For example the ocean evaporates into the atmosphere all the time. Evaporation IS boiling, at a smaller scale that is. When a light ray hits the surface of the water it is absorbed and the water is heated. The entire ocean does not heat up simultaneously, a very small amount heats up and does one of two things. It either evaporates and escapes or cools off by giving its heat to the surrounding water. Now apply this to a hydrosphere that you suppose as absorbing HUGE amounts of energy in the form of radiation. I also need to mention that cold water can boil. In a chemistry class I attended some years ago I got the chance to see water at 0 C boil. The state of matter depends on two things: temperature and pressure. If the pressure around water is 0 then it boils quite easily. It does not need to become a liquid at all in the near vacuum environment of space.

20. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Fred,

I assure you it would boil before it froze, Like FA_Q2 said boiling water depends on several things one of which is pressure. At even relativley low altitudes still well within the atmosphere water will boil. Further for water to freeze you need an impurity for the water to form an ice crystal around it or else you get super cooled vapour, this is what 'causes icing on wing tips and makes aircraft turn into large falling objects.

But lets say your God made it happen, somehow approximatley 6000 years ago there was a blanket of frozen water around the earth protecting the terran life forms below it....what happened to gravity??? how did light filter through a frozen ocean and begin a food chain??? where did the water end up??? what caused it to disapear?? why can't it be verified?? could it be because it never existed?? that you have infact fooled your own self, that your faith has missled you?? that you subscribe to ideas that grade school children would find laughable??

Fred, how is it that a person (yourself) who can read has information available at their fingertips (Internet, books, school) can be so confused about the very world they interact with??? I just can't understand how a person could be SO missled by 1 freaking book.

21. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

dont forget 200 or more people standing next to him screaming the same thing.
    and not to belive is to be a "bad person" and victimised by the church people that surrounded him.
    in time with the rite guidence he may become more accepting of the possibilties that encompass all things rather than the" facts that rule out most"
    groove on all
    chin up fred and look to the future not the appoccalipse

22. tony1 Jesus is Lord Registered Senior Member

I stand corrected, however, it is not as much of a struggle as you think.

Except for the the fact that the data prove creationism, you might be right.

It appears so, but many believe there is evidence for evolution when there actually isn't any.

I was just about to say the same, in reverse.

The definition of "reasonability" here would be at such a low level as to be unacceptable to me.

Needless to say.
    I really do mean needless.

This is your main point in any debate involving well, anything.

A non-self-supporting sphere?
    What whimsical nonsense that is.
    Are you completely unaware of the shape of a sphere?

I'd be kind of pissed off myself if that's the way things were.

1. Who told you it looks billions of years old?
    How does anyone know what differences there would be between an earth billions of years old and one that is 6000 years old?
    We've only got one earth.
    2. There is NO evidence of evolution, therefore there isn't any false evidence.
    3. People were created to worship God, but were also given the choice to do so or not.
    4. There are no contradictions in the Bible, simply a long list of ideas people have difficulty understanding.
    5. Hell is the grave.
    6. There is a lake of fire, but that doesn't last for eternity.
    7. God does love me; he sent Jesus to die for me.

ripleofdeath:
    Cave drawings prove that people are descended from micro-organisms?
    That is new.

Deadwood:
    God in Vanuatu?

Great!!

Do you know any doctor who likes to be pre-empted?
    Don't just lie and say yes, answer the question for real.

People who are very educated are unaware that they do not have the answers because of the large number of "answers" they've been given.

Deadwood:

...And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
    (Acts 11:26, KJV).

By whom? I'm guessing non-Christians.
    Christians call each other Bob, Bill, Sue, etc.

1. Do your own promulgation.
    2. Read what the Bible actually says rather than what you're told it says.

Die in your sins, then.

Make sure your mind isn't so open everything falls out.
    Oops, I may be too late.

Glad you put the quotation marks around Christian.
    As you might have found out in your studies, those rituals were created, or adopted, by our "Christian" buddies, the Catholics.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read stuff like this.

People are actually trying to save your life, so you could change your nick to "ripleoflife."

riple, we're talking about life, your life.
    You're acting like a wild animal caught in a trap, violently resisting any help, because you don't understand.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2001
  23. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Tony1,

Are you really serious? Do you really believe that there is no substance to evolutionary theories?

It is not credible to believe that anyone can totally reject all the vast quantities of evidence that show the validity of evolution. How can you be so blind?