God is love?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Persol, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Re: The obvious isn't obvious?

It makes perfect sense, particularly given the relative sloppiness of the attempts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kython13 Registered Senior Member

They believe that there is a savior, but that Jesus wan't it. They are still waiting for a savior to come

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nehushta Registered Senior Member

As far as I can tell, no one was talking about Isaiah 53 at all. I mentioned Isaiah 14 - quite a different passage, I can assure you.

8. Nehushta Registered Senior Member

I have a question for any knowledgeable Jewish people out there who could provide some enlightenment in this arena - is the Jewish concept of a messiah the same as the Christian concept of a savior? If not, how are they different?

9. Kython13 Registered Senior Member

Yes, it is the same concept. However, the Jewish people expected a military leader to make them supreme over all nations and to bring world peace.

"And he [the messiah] shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." -- Isaiah 2:4

"But you shall be called 'priests of the Lord', men shall say of you, 'ministers of our G-d'; you shall eat the wealth of the nations, and in their riches you shall glory." -- Isaiah 61:6

Christians believe that Jesus died and was resurected and that these prophecies will be fulfilled in the end times. The following link is a website containing a list of prophecies that the Jews believe Jesus failed to fulfill (hence their justification that he was not the Messiah but merely a prophet [at least some say that, others call him a blasphemer]). However, each of these prophecies is related in Revelation and/or Daniel in relation to end times prophecy. All are to be fulfilled during the end times.

http://torah.freeyellow.com/18.html

10. Dana D It's all about balance Registered Senior Member

A little digression to be considered for a separate thread:
    If God created the universe, then he created space/time/matter. Assume - to create something is to be above or outside of it. What would being outside of time be like? Would you experience everything/all at once/forever? Wouldn't this answer the "trans-historic" question?

"We now return you to the regularly scheduled program..."

Last edited: Feb 26, 2003
  11. Bridge Registered Senior Member

The King of Babylon

Not quite. You seriously believe Jesus and Satan are similar in nature? Yikes. Do I have to read the interpretation of how you arrived at that conclusion? I'm sure it will be forthcoming.

12. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Just a point...

Just a note on this. In Gen 1:26 God said let us make man. Gen 3:22 God refers to himself as more tha one entity. Alos, again, in Gen 11:7. In the whole creation account. God used 'The Word' to create all things; 'Let there be'. Compare with John 1:1-5.

13. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: The obvious isn't obvious?

Is this accepted as fact, or is it just opinion?

14. MarcAC Curious Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: ok persol... once again...

2 Thessolonians 2:10-12"... They perished because they refused to love the truth and to be saved.[11] For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie[12] and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness. Looking at the previous verse God doesn't seem to be the culprit after all.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: The obvious isn't obvious?

It's a judgement about such silliness as the virgin birth.

16. Bridge Registered Senior Member

Naturalist's opinion on supernaturalism

In one word: Opinion

Silly to you, not to others.

A supernatural event such as that described in the virgin birth account are not repeatable and presumably one time only events. Not unlike the Big Bang, if it happened more than once, how can we know? Neither of these events requires belief that the event was natural/supernatural, ordinary/extraordinary but it doesn't necessarily negate that it happened that way either.

17. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: ok persol... once again...

No.. it still says the same thing. The people didn't 'love the truth' so God lied/deluded them more.

18. biblthmp Registered Senior Member

God is the antithesis of evil, which is called Holiness, which is defined as moral perfection. He is not more loving that He is Holy, and He is not more Holy than He is loving.

Becasue He is perfectly Holy, He constantly wars against all forms of evil, resisting them, and driving them to their own destruction, using any means necessary.

In Isaiah 6, the angels surrounding God's throne are calling out Holy, Holy, Holy. They are not saying Love, Love, Love.

19. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

Re: Naturalist's opinion on supernaturalism

Absolutely true. It's the opinion about a wholly unsubstantiated and unverifiable story of a supernatural event authored by apologists decades after the event. People believe in all kings of silliness.

20. ConsequentAtheist Registered Senior Member

6-Winged Insects for God

Isaiah 6:2
    • Above it stood seraphim; each one had six wings: with two he covered his face, with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.
    You have 6-winged angels, the Daoine Sidhe have Pixies, and Dr. Seuss has Sam-I-Am who does not like green eggs and ham.

I suggest that children are healthiest when introduced to Dr. Seuss, although the Faerie Kingdom also has a certain charm.

21. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: God is love?

Originally posted by biblthmp
    God is the antithesis of evil, which is called Holiness, which is defined as moral perfection. He is not more loving that He is Holy, and He is not more Holy than He is loving.
    I understand that you believe this, but what is it based on?

using any means necessary.

But when God has every means at his disposal, why would he pick these?

22. withoutGodIamnothin Registered Member

here this....

previously said by Persol:

etc etc.......

God isn't just a God of love (which i strongly agree that He is)

God is also a God of judgemnet and justice
    He does not and cannot put up with evil,
    thats why all those things happen(ed).

God isn't just only love, God is also something to be feared. Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
    That's where the world is wrong. We need to respect God and fear him. Revere Him. Thats why it says in the Bible that we are not to judge because God is the one that judges and justice will be carried out....we are not to take justice into our own hands like most of the world does.

23. withoutGodIamnothin Registered Member

just something interesting to read.....

Read this...I'm not sure if its right right right on topic....but I liked it and it has to do with God's love. So please read it.

"Humans constantly put conditions on how much they love someone. They say they love you, but if you make a mistake the love is suddenly gone. We all do it. It's kind of hard not to. We are only human. But that's why God's love is so great.

Hosea 14:4 is just one of the many examples in the bible of how much God truly does love us. No matter how far we are from Him or how much we've done against Him, He is still waiting for us to turn back to Him. His love is completely unconditional. It's hard for us to truly grasp how or why God would love us so much, but that's where we just need to just stop and trust Him. He proved His love by sending His only son to die for us. All He is asking us to do is love Him back. And when you begin to, you will feel
    exactly what it's like to be loved unconditionally."

Selah