god is a man

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by jerry seinfeld, Sep 3, 1999.

1. why would you not believe that god could be a
    man. why would some gaseous blob decide to create such marvelous creatures just for the sake that they worship this blob with out any
    passions or reason for existence. how could someone believe in a god that was something that you could not become yourself, god is a man. he once lived like we do know. if we live right we can live as he does know. that is our porpouse to inherit the universe. why do people have such low self esteem to think that this is above them. we know that the human mind has remarkable capabilities and if
    given the proper body could do literally any thing. god is not something so foriegn to us, he is literaly our father. he has a body, and passions. his body has been made perfect and he is perfect

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori Registered Senior Member

SEE!!!!! What did I tell you people???? Told ya so, told ya so. You'll be hearing a lot more of this in the near future, from our alien friends and our new age buddies. Boy are they in for a HUGE disappointment!

------------------
    God loves you and so do I!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ISDAMan Thank You Jesus! Registered Senior Member

jerry seinfeld,

I'm happy to tell you that you are way off base. God cannot, in any way, be quantified down to the likes of a man. Neither could a man ever be God. Are you a mormon?

Peace, Love, and Prayers
    ISDAMan

------------------
    Feel free to contact me privately at isda@gte.net . I'm a Christian Web Developer. I run Apostle Creed Online.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Jerry.... I would say you're almost as funny as your namesake, but he's not that funny to begin with.

Actually, in order to avoid assuming anything about the construction of your faith, I would wonder which philosophy you follow; or, of the more common philosophical foundations, which one you last followed. Having left Christianity behind, I still walk ground familiar to other Christians when considering God. Having never been Moslem, Hindu, or Buddhist, I cannot necessarily see through the veneer of faith that glosses the philosophies.

If we're speaking of the the Christian version of god, then I haven't a clue where you're coming from. However, some of your statements are fast-food for thought: "Why do people have such low self-esteem to think that this is above them?" Well, it's the nature of religion. Anselm, at one point, argued that since humanity is "imperfect" there must be a source of "perfection", and that source of perfection can only be the Christian God. The counterpoint question I would raise is: "Why do people have such low self-esteem that they need to imagine this omniscient, interactive God-form to be alternately a cheerleader and the hand that spanks?"

You wrote that our purpose is to inherit the universe; technically, that is the purpose of all lifeforms in the universe.

"If given the proper body [the mind] could do literally anything." So God designed humanity with an intentional shortfall? What, then, was the purpose of human creation, aside from dominion and egotism?

I'll leave the gaseous blob part alone--it speaks...rather, chokes...for itself.

"His body has been made perfect and he is perfect." Or, so you wrote. This I can agree with, but it requires a restatement of interpretation that I've posted before: If "God" is a word which describes all creation, that includes the universe in which we live. We are products of the universe, and therefore are made in its image. Humanity is crafted to a universal standard that allows life to adapt to its surroundings; nature is not extraneous. Therefore, we are optimized for the conditions which spawned our creation, literally made in the image of the universe around us. So that god-body I can believe is perfect.

thx,
    Tiassa

------------------
    "Let us not launch the boat until the ground is wet." (Khaavren of Castlerock)

8. JMitch Registered Senior Member

Jerry,

" if we live right we can
    live as he does know. that is our porpouse to inherit the universe."

By our very existence we have nothing to inherit, but everything to learn.

"how could someone believe in a
    god that was something that you could not become yourself, god
    is a man."

congratulations, you've stumbled on the answer.

[This message has been edited by JMitch (edited September 02, 1999).]

9. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

God has to be a man. Only a man would slap together an entire universe in only seven days without using the instructions and call it "good enough".

Just kidding, to any guy who can't take a little joke.

10. 402 Registered Member

Oxygen, laughing quite a bit on that one!

11. Mock Registered Member

Why all the fuss? God is God. God is not man, nor male in the sense of male and female. In the beginning there was the Word, and the Word was God. This does not imply man. There is distinction between male and female on Earth for the simple act of procreation. God created man in God`s image insofar as we share some of God`s characteristics. We share his capacity for love, forgiveness, compassion and soforth. That does not mean we have to look like God. But because of the Fall we have forfeited perfection. We have a free will now. In this way some of us has chosen to follow godless ways. Our mission on Earth is to find our way back to God through living in Christ, but there is a far greater plan for us. Believe in me and I will give you everlasting life ! If one looks at the magnificence of the Universe and everything in it, imagine the magnificence of God`s plan for us.

In Christ.

12. Xeno Registered Senior Member

What!! Did I hear someone say something...
    ------------------------------------------
    Grrr, this is what makes me mad.
    Lori, you are a fine person and so
    are all religious people. I will not
    go on to tell you how you should run
    your life, but you should understand
    that GOD... is... not... a... man!!!

Let me get this straight...
    you're saying that the being who created
    the universe is nothing but a planetary
    sized human with a beard??
    How is that possible? God does exist,
    but why a man?

Such things only state the vast amount
    of self-ignorance that exists within
    yourself.

13. Flash Registered Senior Member

Xeno,
    Ohhhhh come on, man!! You can't even
    prove god exists. Lighten up... it's ok
    to hold on to what you want to believe...but
    why get mad about such things??

14. JMitch Registered Senior Member

LOL, sorry for being vague in my post above. I was meaning to say that God isn't a man, but man is an expression of God, so we are in a sense...God. And, for the record this doesn't mean that I'm christian.

15. Searcher Registered Senior Member

I'd like to hear the members' explanations for the following scriptures from the King James version of the Bible (I specify the KJV simply because it's the only one I have):

Genesis 1:26
    Genesis 6:1-4
    Genesis 11:6,7
    Exodus 14:19,20
    Exodus 33:9-11
    2Kings 2:1-12
    Ecclesiastes 1:9-11
    Isaiah 7:14
    Ezekiel 1:4-28
    Matthew 1:23
    Matthew 2:2,9,10
    Luke 2:9-15
    Luke 2:21
    John 1:18
    John 8:23
    1Corinthians 10:1-4

I think that's probably enough for starters. Please read these scriptures carefully. If you just gloss over them, you may miss the messages contained therein, and that would indeed be a shame - if it's the truth you seek.

16. Oh, please! You must be a mormon. They came up with that idea 100-odd years ago! And someone had to before that. Cause and effect, man. A man could not start all this, how did he come into existance? Well, I'm waiting, whats the answer? He couldn't, aliens? First you have to prove they exist. They have left no tangible evidence of their existance. As for God? I feel he exists, but I can't prove it. We all have ideas and opinions, I guess thats what philosophy class is for. Ex nihilo, all you philosphers and Latin scholars.

17. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Randolfo,

If we were to discover a planet that could sustain life, and then various beings of different races from our own planet cloned themselves in order to start a colony on that planet, and then hung around the heavens for awhile in their space vehicles to kind of watch over them and guide them along - would we not be gods to them? Probably they would be arguing amongst themselves several thousand years later about how they got there, don't you think?

18. Lori Registered Senior Member

No, we would not be "gods" to them. God would still be God, and we would still be human, but the beings that we created would just MISTAKE us for their gods. Does this sound familiar to anyone??????????????

------------------

19. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

And on the other hand, if they are scientifically inclined and wary of religion or idle speculation, they would probably see us for what we are... (Not to say that I think our own evolution has been subject to any outside influence.)

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

20. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Boris,

I think eventually SOME of them would see us for what we are - but I think MOST of them would stubbornly cling to their religious beliefs, fearing hellfire if they dared to consider the logical alternatives.

21. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Lori,

Exactly!

22. Lori Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

Don't you see, some are mistaking aliens and these "associated" beings of light, as our God and creator, and they are not. And I can honestly for the first time in my life say that I'm not afraid of anything. Can you say that?

------------------

23. I think scientists have to cling desperatly to their religious beliefs; that their world-view is correct, that everything can be discovered & ultimetly understood. If that were correct there wouldn't be so many people leaving western-based traditions and looking to the East for answers, in religion, health, thought, food & lifestyle. There would be more answers to hard questions
    and people would feel good about their future
    not thinking that it could all end tomorrow,
    with a crash or disease or chaos. In the end we are not very logical, we as humans may be one of the biggest problems. Or to paraphrase Dr. Oppenheiner,'we have become death, the destroyer of worlds'. Look at all the destruction we cause to ourselves, our environment and possibly our comtaminated future. I hope for a star-trek future, but we'll probably get blade runner.

[This message has been edited by Randolfo (edited October 05, 1999).]