God and atheists

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by yaracuy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

In other words you haven't learned anything about me at all. What you've done is decide what you think about me.

Correct.
    Someone who doesn't believe in god.
    Which is the point I addressed. Or were you too busy deciding how you view to me to notice that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. yaracuy Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And another assumption.
    I note you haven't actually replied to my point, just kept it personal...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. yaracuy Banned Banned

Sorry what was your point ?

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Post #2...

9. Rav Valued Senior Member

God spoke to Moses, and through Moses he performed some pretty incredible miracles that a bunch of other people were witness to. Thus we can conclude that Moses was a God.

Just out of curiosity, what religion do you practice? It sounds rather interesting.

So your plan was to call for individual responses and then declare them invalid?

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

By making theists perfect.
    By doing away with falsity that happens under the guise of religion and theism.
    By making sure that everyone who talks about God, indeed talks about God, and isn't lying or in delusion.

Of course, not that I myself could see for myself if and when such would happen, so the above is simply a fantasy ...

I can't quite think of a way in which I would like that God would introduce Himself to me ... We are talking about the Supreme Personality of Godhead and this isn't someone for whom a mere human could set terms.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Signal, you would first have to eliminate original sin!

12. yaracuy Banned Banned

Since the atheist rejects the existence of God, so I don't see the point why introduce to him self. He have many believers, and the atheist can stay away , as he wants.
    If a person is interested in some one say God then you must seek to find him

13. Yazata Valued Senior Member

It's a significant philosopical/theological issue:

What kind of experience would justify a person in saying that he or she had encountered... a god?

It's what I think of as the 'Independence Day Problem'. The reference is to the 1990's alien-invasion movie in which stupendous 15 mile wide flying saucers appear in the sky above earth's major cities.

Just because something amazing and inexplicable and totally beyond our experience appears in the sky, just because the light-show is absolutely glorious, doesn't necessarily imply that what's manifesting is a suitable object for human religious worship.

In philosophical terms, another aspect of the problem might be stated this way: What possible finite experience could justify our belief that we had experienced an infinite being?

Or alternatively (but not synonymously) what natural experience could justify our belief that we had experienced a supernatural being? Or perhaps stated in more Kantian-inspired terms, what phenomenal experience could justify our belief that we had experienced a transcendental object?

The suitability for worship question seems to be a separate and distinct issue from all of that, unless we assume that infinite, supernatural and/or transcendental objects are automatically objects to be worshipped. That would appear to require some argument.

Ultimately, it seems to me that if a god exists and if that god has any interest in my believing in him (why would a god even care?), then the god would probably have to will me to believe in him. That seems easy enough to do for a being capable of creating entire universes with a word.

But epistemologically speaking, I don't know that any possible experience would convince me.

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Sounds reasonable to me.
    So why did you ask the question in the first place?

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I don't see the relevance of this?

16. yaracuy Banned Banned

The spirit of God is among man.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Religion can't be perfect if humans aren't perfect.

18. yaracuy Banned Banned

people say there is no God , because they cannot see Him. So for me the so called logical question was . "How do you want He introduce Himself"

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Then the question is - what is a perfect human?

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A fantasy.

21. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

@ Yaracuy
    You're arguing against yourself.
    This is not rational.

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Same here.

The only reasons for believing in God that seem valid to me are the philosophical or moral ones. But believing in things for such reasons seems so artificial!

23. yaracuy Banned Banned

What is your analysis ? that you come to such conclusion ?