Getting rid of Pennies. It's happening!

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by kwhilborn, Jun 12, 2012.

1. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I consider myself a bit of a futurist as I am keenly aware of future trends and fringe science.

In Canada we have removed pennies from our monetary system. My understanding is that the amount of charge will round up or down based on the amount charged.

I feel this will cause many retailer to want to advertise using signs that say,

"We (or company name) always round down."
    "We (or company name) always round down to (the) nearest nickel."

and then to promote sales we might see additional promotions such as,

"We always round down to the nearest dime"
    "We always round down to the nearest quarter"

I have published these phrases in various forms (including here) and intend on holding the rights to use and further publish these phrases.

I think people will feel mad that they are getting ripped off a few cents per purchase as some people are either stingy or bad at math. Maybe I am wrong and nobody will want to "round down", but I think this phrase will become commonplace over the next few years.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Australia doesn't have pennies. It's a sign of inflation which is a sign of a failed Centrally planned economy. The politicians promised too much and now they're defaulting through inflation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Blah blah blah Michael. Yes we don't have 1 and 2 cent coins, because the copper to make them costs alot more than there value and most of them end up being thrown out so they have to constantly make ALOT more. The lowest coin we have is the 5 cent which was the first "silver" coin. As most people pay by card now it's not an issue but the law states you must round to the nearest 5, so up if it's 3, 4, down if it's 1, 2

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

You guys here about this cool new thing: e-money?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!