George Monbiot: "Environmentalists Fail to Practise What They Preach"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by clusteringflux, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MrManganese Registered Member

It's possible to be self-serving, while also being environmentally responsible. Anybody who owns a house would be doing himself a favor to install a solar hot water system. Those things pay for themselves within a few years, even before the federal tax credit, and they drastically cut fuel consumption. That payback time beats the return you'll get on the average stock investment, and it's a tangible asset that'll help you sleep better at night. So why have I never met anyone with such a system? The only reason I'm without one, is because I don't own a home (and that's because it's impractical financially, and environmentally unsustainable, for little ol' me to have a place all to myself).

People complain and complain about the falling dollar, the inflation, the globalization, the social security, etc.. but if we know our world is changing, why not do something about it? Apparently investing in our own sustainability is the last thing we're willing to do. We'd rather buy international stocks or spend our money overseas, thus contributing to the very issues that we complain about.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Is there anything we can do (as in positive action ) outside the political arena, that would not be classed as terrorism?

Food which is good for you is more expensive than junk food.........makes no sense (i'm a chef) as its cheaper generaly to make....

energy savers are more expensive.....

Anything which is good and pro-active to aid ourselves biologicaly is always over priced....?
    Why do people who want to be green pay more...?

If minimum wage has not risen with inflation for 20+ years....what is the point in having green products if they are only available to the well off...it is supposed to be for the masses. check your supermarkets.

The survival of our planet is another way these Idiotic capitalist have found of making money off people, if everybody has too have it lets put on a couple of quid on the price every year

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Is their anyway to Impliment action for the benefit of humanity without the government....?

Are there member's of parliment (Uk) who are qualified enough to deal with the issue.........?

Can you act against the government (who have failed humanity) without being branded a terrorist.....?

All of man has the same enemy...that enemy is politics..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.