Gender reveal

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by DaveC426913, Sep 2, 2023.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Bells, what are your preferred pronouns?

I thought I knew at one point, and then I started second-guessing myself.

No hidden agenda here, just been bugging me. (At some point I'm going to refer to you in third person more than once in the same sentence, and "Bells is so tall, Bells can see the next town over." just sounds awkward.)

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

He/him

DaveC426913 likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Apparently I missed something key or vital in the past as to why "she" would be problematic, unmannerly, etc.

Aside from the neologistic pronouns that few would probably even recognize or remember, "they" and "their" seem to be the most preferred for gender-neutral. Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique_Provost-Chalkley

But employment of such can become monotonous in some situations, or there is a continual brain-twitch privately occurring with respect to the traditional plural meanings, as the many occurrences of "they" and "them" in that bio may also illustrate.
    _

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

To be clear, asking for Bells' pronouns was simply the 21st century lingo for 'I forget if you're a dude or a dudette'. (Not that it makes any difference.)

I know Bells does identify as one of the binary he/she genders, I've just second guessed myself too many times - first thinking I'd remembered wrong, then thinking I'd remembered remembering it wrong.

Frankly, for some reason 'Tiassa' and 'Iceaura' likewise sound to my ear like female names.

Dunno why. It is certainly no sign if disrespect, just a bug in my name-assignment subroutine.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It's because they end with -a.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Ahhhh!

Maybe. I'm not immersed in non-English languages so, while I am aware that 'a' tends to end females names, its definitely not in the top drawer of my lexical toolbox.

For me, I think its more that Tiassa is very close to tiarra, and Iceaura brings to mind the image of an ice witch (like Elsa). And Bells, obvs, seems to be a girl's name.

Interesting that the historical default when gender is ambiguous has usually been male, but I seem to be defaulting to female.