Gendanken on the "Passion of the Christ"

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by gendanken, Mar 19, 2004.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That is a one liner!

So I should now write another line to be innocent of writing one liners.

(that was close!)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Spidergoat:
    No. You should have known better than to play teacher when you still only sound like a student.

Nebuchadnezzar:
    Queen, you mean?

You were given a lesson on what constitutes snuff films. You were dismissed. Now go away.

Killjoy:
    Making what up?

Anyway, a million Thank You's Killjoy. Finally someone that has at least seen the movie and says something concerning it......the whole point of this thread. But no- one has to go through the trouble of plebians posting their pics up and cracking cheap jokes that aren't even funny. Churls.

On topic:

It was deplorable having to sit through exaggerated bullshit but I prize the opportunity it gave me- people watching. I watched them all before entering the theater, I kept tabs on who was buying what tickets and memorized each face and what it was doing before it entered the theater.

Then I planted myself in my seat 10 minutes beofore the cattle started filing in and memorized where each face I watched out in the lobby was sitting. Then all I had to do was swivel my head around at each sniffle and notice who was crying, then assign a personality type or characterstic to each idiot losing himself in the movie by comparing his actions before (out in the lobby), during, and after (back out in the lobby discussing their Jesus).

Fascinating. Truly Fascinating.

Some Nietzche, who wrote on the effects of the theater:

"This kind (of art) is designed for those everyday souls who in the evening are not like victors in their triumphal chariots (when they come home at night) but rather like those tired mules who have been whipped too much by life.

What would men of this type know of 'higher moods' if there were no intoxicants and idealistic whips? Hence they have those (like Mel Gibson) that enthuse them as they have their wines. But what are their drinks and intoxication to me (or gendanken)? Rather he (like gendanken) looks with some sort of nausea at the means and mediators that are trying to produce an effect without sufficient reason- aping the high-tide of the soul.

What now? One gives the mole wings (moles are what make up our middle class, my dears) and proud conceits before its time to go to sleep, before he crawls back into his hole. (ha! God I love Fredirich, anyway)

One sends him off into the theater and places large glasses before his tired and blind eyes. Men whose life are not an action but a business."

All these innocent hard working lambs who at this moment sit in their cubicles wasting their boring little lives away were duped by that " flesh-colored wetsuit they'd hacked up with a serated knife!" named Jim Caveiziel or Jesus. All this contraversy instigated by a charlatan.

FASCINATING.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Blessed is she who finds happiness in her own foolishness. For she will always be happy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Spurious:
    Allright monkey, ha ha, enough.

What did you think of the movie? Did you even see it?

8. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Spidergoat:
    And woe to the man that sat in traffic one day and memorized a bumper sticker so that he'd show up one day on a forum sounding just like one in trying to come off as intelligent.

Go ahead now- quote me some Confuscious now. How about some Shakespeare or Pope "...words like leaves abound...." ? Thoreau? Hawthorne? Something.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I was thinking about seeing it today, but there is no point in seeing it. It will be subtitled in Finnish and Swedish and I am proficient enough in neither of them to be able to 'enjoy' the film.

The main character, a man by the name of jesus, looks a bit too european to me though on the still pictures. I can't really imagine him being someone from the middle east. Must have been a casting error or something. I am sure they got all the other details right, such as speaking the original language.

No really, they are a bunch of wankers. They speak these strange languages in the film because it supposedly should give more autheticity? Hei compadres...fuck off. Nobody knows shit about jesus. You didn't even cast someone for the role of jesus that could actually look like jesus.

Do we suddenly think jesus was supposed to be pretty and european? Were the makers of the film on crack or just on plain acid?

I should say something substantial and intellectual now to backup my claims, but it is no secret that I am neither substantial nor an intellectual.

Being as stupid as I am I fear that the premises of this film even insults my blantant ignorance in these religious matters.

Instead of seeing the glorious life of jesus I went to see 'Big Fish'. It also sucked (well, it was a bit tedious and boring).

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Every day people are straying away from the church, and going back to God.
    --Lenny Bruce

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Don’t bite my finger, look where I am pointing.
    -Osho

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The emptiest drum makes the loudest noise.

13. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Finally.

Spurious:
    You see? That wasn't so bad. As for the Anglicized Jew, ever notice how blue those eyes usually are in a region where dark brown or olive is THE phenotype?

Notice how his armpits are usually shaved and his hair nicely conditioned. Hillarious.

Actually, a Cecil B Demille film as lackluster and boring as they usually are comes closer to captruing the essence of Jesus than does this vulgarity.

I do not want you all thinking I'm an atheist for I'm not, neither would I have you thinking I deny such a man as Jesus even existed for it can be proven. It is the drunkeness that has come from Gibson's "Art" that I find repulsively...amusing even, but not quite.

"Jesus of Nazareth", with the part of Jesus played by Robert Powell. I've seen that movie at least a hundred times and it captured the essence of love and leadership such a man should convey. Not *this* shit.

Those that advertise their stupidity are usually hiding something.

Big Fish.

A sappy chick flick that would be nothing without a colorful liar, an ugly giant, his ugly dwarf and couple of Simase strippers. C+.

Spidergoat:

Shame on you. You did not quote Shakespeare.

14. Bells Staff Member

Heh.. my parents went to see it last weekend. Actually no, my father dragged my mother to see it and she was a very unhappy camper before, during and after. I found their comments to be amusing to say the least. Mother is strict Catholic and Father is more agnostic. Mother hates watching gory movies and Father adores them for the amusement value (not a good mix to go and watch this movie). Mother said that while standing in the queue to buy the ticket and to get into the theater all she heard were biblical comments and how this movie was 'sooo realistic and how Gibson should get an Emmy for portraying and finding the true passion of Christ'. Now even her, a strict Catholic, found herself gritting her teeth at some of the comments made.

One memorable comment that comes to mind from her recollection was "Gibson has apparently captured the true pain of Christ and the pain of humanity". Mother then said that she had to elbow Father in the ribs when he started snickering. One woman apparently went in with a box of tissues in one hand and a big cup of coke in the other. During said movie, Mother was apparently wishing that she'd just stayed home or bought a cross word puzzle. This wish became more pronounced when a woman next to Mother started sobbing loudly when the blue eyed Jesus was carrying the cross "up the final straight" (her words not mine). Father got told to sush by one sobbing fellow in front with tears falling down his face when he snickered during the crucifixion scene. Father apparently then started to laugh quietly and quietly whispered a comment to Mother about how fake the scene looked, resulting in being told by the couple sitting next to him to not denigrate the death and pain of Jesus in such a manner. Mother at this stage was apparently whispering to him that she was going to stab him with her knitting needle when they got home.

Both walked out of the cinema to whispered comments from others of how unappreciative of true art and how totally unchristian some people could be (some people being my parents apparently). This resulted in further teeth gritting by Mother after commenting of how crappy she thought the movie was and that Gibson should be shot and almost full blown laughter from Father.

Now mum hated the movie. Dad found it to be amusing. Although I think for him the amusement came more from the sobbing around him than from the movie itself. Both found it to be overdone and fake in the extreme. Gendanken I told them about your 'Gibsonitis' comments and they agree with you whole-heartedly. Dad commented that if I thought 'The Patriot' was bad, then this was 10 time worse. I was told that I should go and see this movie only for the annoyance value and not the artistic or content value.

15. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

YES. This is what I need people. Input. INPUT!!

Bells:
    Your father absolutely rocks. I was too busy in my seriousness studying these people, I know I know one should relax and learn to have fun.

The woman with the box of tissues, though, and the snide comments here and there of others not being "Christian enogh" I hope are real and not things you might have imagined or just making up. God I wish I had some of those in my theater.

But your mother is Catholic?

16. Bells Staff Member

No they weren't made up and my dad is still laughing at the experience. Mum is still threatening to stab him with her knitting needle. Poor dad knows that mum will get her revenge by dragging him to see a romantic 'chick flick'. From past experiences I believe him because the last time he dragged her to see a movie that she did not want to see, he suffered badly. He dragged her to see a Steven Segal (sp?) movie and she got her revenge by dragging him to see 'The Bodyguard', a movie that she did not want to see but revenge does strange things to people. Dad suffered through that experience and as he said the embarrassment of lining up to buy the tickets with my mother smirking in her revenge next to him was painful. He learnt his lesson that time but seems to have forgotten it up till now. As mum said, she suffered through The Bodyguard but that pain was soothed by the fact that dad was sitting there squirming in his seat next to her. Anyway, back to the topic.

Mum is a Catholic and she found the movie to be absurd and totally unrealistic and dad agreed. He said it was pure gore and nothing religious and neither of them could understand the religious fervour of the other movie goers in the theater. She was amazed at the glazed looks of rapture on the faces of people as they walked out. She told me that she wanted to scream 'it's just a dumb movie' at them when they started making the comments. Poor mum, a strict Catholic being embarrassed by a snickering husband (she was mortified at being told to sush in a movie because of dad's snickering) and being called a bad christian to boot... hehehe.. poor dad.. mums revenge for this one will be nasty. There were more comments made and I can't remember them all, but next time I talk to them I'll ask. One thing they were both amazed at was the amount of 'young people' who so seemed to be taken in by it. From what I gather, most of the comments made to them came mostly from young people. The sobbing woman sitting next to mum was apparently in her twenties according to mum. Heh the parents were disgusted at such religious fervour at a movie.

17. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Killjoy:
    You're all not real!
    You can't be!
    Someone is making this all up...

Making what up?

Anyway, a million Thank You's Killjoy. Finally someone that has at least seen the movie and says something concerning it......the whole point of this thread. But no- one has to go through the trouble of plebians posting their pics up and cracking cheap jokes that aren't even funny. Churls.

Just being sarcastic...

Sometimes I wander in here and the surrealness of it all just hits me like a cloud of Tiassa's "atomic weed" smog...

In an ironic turn of events, on this very day, a salesman came into the place I work warbling on about how the film made him want to "put twice as much in the church collection basket"...
    I found it even harder to conceal my mirth at those portions of the thing which almost had me laughing out loud right in the theater.
    Oh, this poor, poor man...

It gets worse !

In a Waldenbooks store today, I saw a "companion book" of pics and scribblings about the making of the film...

hee hee hee!

Crucifixion merchandise!!!

When, oh when do the action figures hit the Wal-Mart shelves!!!

I want my Super-Duper Ultra-Lifelike Crucified Jesus Salvation Doll
    (Complete with rip-away skin and "water-O'-cleansing-when-jabbed-with-a-javelin" spouting action!!!)

In all seriousness, however...
    There was one photo I saw in this book which all those folks who insist that "everyone should have to see this movie so that they will know what Jesus went through" should be forced to look long and hard at...

There was his Melness, and the actor who played JC, (geez, I can't remember the fella's name... I know it's right in this thread, but I'm damned if I'm gonna go back and look...) "JC" covered in genuine simulated gore and blood, sitting calmly on "director's chairs",apparently having a chat about an upcoming scene...

heh...

Here's yer Jesus, y'all...

Wish he would have had a smoke in his hand...
    I would have bought the thing, so help me...

18. Bells Staff Member

Oh that's tragic. I saw somewhere that they were selling nails on neck chains as merchandise for this movie. HEH @ a companion book. Tragic! And even more tragic is the fact that there are many individuals who have probably seen the movie, bought the book and gone back to see it to really experience it again.. live the tale.. feel the passion of christ through buying these items. Too bad they are so blind to the fact that their religious zealousness is only lining the pocket of King Gibson. He's laughing all the way to the bank while the zealots are finding their 'true god' through film and merchandise. Beautiful. I'm waiting for someone to portray the life of satan on film and seeing how many will then convert to devil worshiping.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Speaking about Tiassa, I saw the film 'Blueberry' the other week and found it quite stimulating in a visual manner. Not that I find Tiassa visually stimulating, but the movie made me want to smoke a joint. :m:

Also now that we are talking about suffering the Blueberry film apparently had the same theme as the wonderfully authentic Jesus flick. The main character was also suffering. He didn't get nailed to a cross though. No, he sought refuge in drugs, alcohol, spiritual interaction with indians, and masturbation. Somehow I was wondering if this could not be a more accurate depiction of jesus' life than the actual jesus flick commented upon and reviewed in this thread.

That is how I would like to see jesus and his disciples. A bunch of losers who had traumatic experiences in their past and now seek comfort and answers in drugs and spiritual bandaides. They get high on something and their water suddenly tastes like wine. Jesus cures someone by giving him a taste of his joint. A miracle! The pain has gone!

One day they nail jesus to the cross because he is a known drugsdealer. He is so stoned that he doesn't notice anything. 'Hey man, cool view up here...trippinggg!'

The combination of drugs put him in a coma and he seems dead. His buddies put him in his grave. Jesus recovers from his OD. 'Hey man, gosh, it stinks in there, hey jude (judas) pass me that joint man! cool.'

I must say 'The last temptation of christ' must have been also one of the best jesus flicks till date. Willem Dafoe must have been the most unlikely jesus ever. Too european of course, but at least he looked like he was crazy enough to be a jesus. Let's face it, no sane man could portrait jesus accurately. If he wasn't too old I would have casted Dennis Hopper and let him do his thing. Jesus was a nutter! Otherwise he wouldn't be jesus. Jesus wouldn't have the face of a used car or bible salesman. He would be a freak with charisma. One of these people that you know are bad for your health but still you want to spend time with them.

20. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

The movie the Passion of the Christ was good shite! Why bother having a thread which just aims to bash a contraversial, but generally well made movie. I see no real reason for anyone to have a problem with it, unless your an ancient roman torturer or an ancient jewish cleric.
    As for this talk of Gibsonitis, what's with that? someone got a chip on their shoulder? What's wrong with Gibson movies? Seriously, what's your problem?

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

:bugeye:

uh...see previous posts?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  22. Nebuchadnezzaar Registered Senior Member

oh you've put me in my place, damn, i wish i was you cybergeek.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

According to Dr Lou's definitions I am not a geek.

Sorry.