Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mikasa11, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

$3.10 a gallon here in Southern California. And you know the sad part? I see numerous oil platforms right along the beach as well as quite a few oil rigs within 10 miles from me. But instead of using the oil for ourselves, we're selling it to others and WE'RE the ones with the highest, or at least almost the highest, gas prices in the U.S. when we're the 3rd state that produces the most. Ridiculous! If we were a country, we'd have the 5th highest economy in the world right behind France. But nooo, because we gotta export and give our most numerous goods to other states and countries, we wind up having to pay the most for all of it.

What ever happened to the perks of paying the cheapest prices when it comes to being the most productive in a certain area? The only thing going for us right now is the low produce prices in my city since it's mainly agricultural, but unfortunately everything else of high production, it's high priced. And well, those prices won't last since many of the fields are being replaced with new housing.

- N

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The last quarter most American oil companies made a 2 to 4 billion profit. That's after everything was paid for including the oil. Those running the oil compabies are not trying to help anuone but themselves so they are the problem not the oil producing countries as much.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So who says they're supposed to help anyone else? You?

You've not heard of capitalism, have you? And you don't realize that capitalism is the one thing that's keeping this world rockin' along and the money flowing?

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When one lives in a country one would think that those in charge would be considerate to their fellow citizens. Making a profit that is reasonable will benifit all the members of society.Revolution happens when that philosophy isn't adhered to and many heads will roll, just look at other revolutions of the past. Which side do you like best?

8. kindfluffysteve Registered Member

Some of you do not make logical conclusions. You are against the war because you think it's for oil, but you're complaining of high gas prices?!?!?

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

There is no contradiction there kind, fluffy Steve: The invasion of Iraq was a strategically flawed, brazen, and amatuerish attempt by the neocons to gain more exclusive access to the Great Petro-Tit.

That the groping is being rebuffed by the victim does not mean that critics of the original offense must not complain. The neocons have in their hubris and ignorance exacerbated the looming energy crisis the USA faces, and have set a momentous economic disruption in motion by overstepping the boundaries of international law & order that our national pre-eminence critically depended upon.

Complaints? You ain't seen nothing yet: When the next waves of blowback from our gigantic mistake hit our shores, there'll be much more howling all around, and if it wrecks my future I'll be howling along with with the loudest, and with damn good reason: Many of us saw this coming.

10. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

yeah.,but if they are fixing the prices to be amazingly high for a commodity that a fair percentage of the population NEED that is wrong.

11. dr. ski wampas Registered Senior Member

what about a basic obligation to humanity?

greed is the basis of capitalism, and this entire situation, and the one man (and his family, and all their business associates, and really rich people in general) it seems to revolve around, is a prime example of that.

max, have you ever expirienced what it is to be on the bottom of society? if so, i dont understand how you can actively claw your way to the top, and think that you've somehow achieved something... growing up, i never desired to join, or crawl up to a position where i could just forget the people beneath me, or crawl beyond desire to change how things are... not that it's related, i just absolutely hate people who can really understand what capitalism is, and yet support it so avidly... you must be one rich SOB.

money is just another "thing" when you think about it... it really bothers me how much people cling to these stupid posessions...

12. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

What I'd like to know, if anyone can help me, is what the minutes of the last meeting between bush and the now-dead king of saudi arabia were. Are minutes from meetings like that ever kept, stored, released? I'd like any info. that anyone can give me. Also, the minutes of Cheney's "Energy Policy" meeting with heads of big oil? Are these available? No. Will they be? Not to my knowledge.

13. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

As other's said, "you would think" (rule #1: don't assume when it comes to greed) that companies would look out for those in their country first. If they wanna price gouge, do it to other countries.

I hope oil prices skyrocket even more. Maybe then people will realize how corrupt capitalism is and can be. Thinking rising prices like this is okay all because it's capitalism? Ridiculous. I've yet to see one issue that you've disagreed with that American leadership or American corporations have done. Talk about a yes man following those guys around like a little puppy dog.

I'm not complaining about high gas prices in general, I'm complaining about my state having THE highest gas prices when we're the 3rd highest producing state of oil. Why the hell should states that don't produce oil get to pay lower gas prices than us? I see numerous oil rigs and drilling platforms all around me yet we're paying $3.10 a gallon for gas, for the cheap stuff, mind you. We hardly even use the oil produced in our state. We sell it to others and the oil we use comes from other places. How stupid is that? California can fend for itself in any area whether it's military, oil, agriculture, livestock, electronics, you name it, yet we gotta pay high prices when everything is in abundance here. Oh joy. What ever happened to the perks of paying lower prices when it comes to living in an area of high production?

Yes, let's secede!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- N

14. Light Registered Senior Member

Hmmm. And just what "country" are you calling "their country"? Or can you not spell multinational? Can you name a single major oil company that exists on only one country. (Big hint - there aren't any. Get over it.)

Oh, really? You don't like capitalism? I suppose you'd prefer the government impose price and wage controls on everything and not allow anyone to make a profit? I suggest we start with YOUR income and freeze it at $1.00 an hour.

So let's test your spelling ability again - how about the word RUSSIA?

15. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Russia = never given a chance, moron. By greedy, ass-wipe capitalists. This should be obvious, even to any moron.

16. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

No, I don't mind capitalism; I just hate the greedy, overgrown, corrupt, multinational corporations that look only to their own interests and well, most big businesses fall under that catagory. Capitalism is fine up until a point where they get so big they start shitting on everyone below them with no care in the world for anyone but themselves. We need stricter monopoly laws to prevent that from happening.

Oh sure, point to the worse failure because they were such a huge nation that was on the opposite side of the spectrum and then quickly rushed into capitalism. Even a child could tell you that wouldn't work out.

Here's a smaller word for you to spell: EU. I prefer their way of doing things. If you like American capitalism isn't bad, why is it that everyone else in the world besides Americans call us greedy and whatnot? And don't use the copout excuse of jealousy. Our corporations are out of control.

- N

17. dr. ski wampas Registered Senior Member

i wouldnt mind getting paid, $1.00 an hour, if the cost of living were adjusted to support such an income... wether it says 50, or 1, it's just a number on nothing more than a piece paper.

whats so great about making a profit? hell, all this talk of freezing wages... why not just get rid of them completely? i should hope most people who get into the medical field, dont do it based on the income, or that people who build houses would build them, because they recognise the community needs them... i'd like to think some people do what they do, because they recognise that it's simply what they enjoy doing, and because they recognise how much help they could do, rather than the amount of money they can squeeze out of someone for it...

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And just who is to say what those obligations are? You? Me? Some committee? How are they elected?

"Obligations to humanity" is a catch-all phrase to use when you have no other way to get YOUR way!

Me? Rich? Yeah, I am now ....but I worked my ass off to get here. I was born in a dirt-poor family that had almost nothing. See what capitalism and the basic freedoms can permit someone who works his ass off? Try it, you'll like it. And you'll like it a lot more after you're too old to work!!!

Baron Max

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

How 'bout some facts to back up that allegation? Name a few that are "out of control" and give us the facts to prove how and where.

Anyone can make false accusations ....providing evidence is a bit harder, ain't it?

Baron Max

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Idealism is a wonderful thing, isn't it? We can just dream up all kinds of things without having to concern ourselves with the realities of the world.

Ahh, yes, no wonder idealism seems to be ONLY for the young and the inexperienced.

Baron Max

21. dr. ski wampas Registered Senior Member

fuck that.

no one is trying to dictate to you that you should be a good person, and it's not "my" or anyone elses way, that we're trying to get you to see.

everything you have wont last man, wether it's the house you have, or the car you drive. why is that where you place importance in life? i have no desire to use capitalism to elevate myself to any position where i feel like i'm better than anyone else. you say you were part of a dirt poor family? well i hope you got everything you ever wished for, being successful and all, because their are still hundreds of families in that position out there.

i grew up pretty damn poor... it has nothing to do with working or lack off working my ass of either. i feel what i'm doing with my life is of importance... assholes like you, dictate the importance of people in my position, and assholes like you put a value on everything... i could care less wether i'm "poor", and the ability to be able to conform to a system of dog-eat-dog world, is hardly what i'd call a "freedom"

freedom, is being able to own land without paying property tax. freedom, is not having to pay for things like electricity. freedom means, that if i want to live on my own land, and do my own damn thing, and not have to be worried about being thrown into the politics of the fucked up society surrounding me, that i should be able to.

the world you have me living in though, says that i have no individual value, and that unless i'm working my 9-5 job for pricks like you, i deserve to be left homeless, and be regarded as a leech... why the hell should i have to go to college, or choose to do something i'd rather not with my life, in order to be apreciated in this world?

i am not physically incapable of producing my own food, shelter, or electricity... but their is always some law, or another preventing me from doing so, to force me into this whole system which you prize so dearly. well, i dont want to go to fucking college, and be some rat, and i dont want to work for fucking american express anymore, taking phone calls until i'm 40.

it has absolutely nothing to do with money, or me wanting to force high income doctors to be paid less, because i'm bitter i dont make as much, building homes... it's about fucking liberty, and a human responsibility to help others, and be helped in return... or atleast help yourself, without imposing your way of life on other people.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  22. dr. ski wampas Registered Senior Member

only because you seem to see it so pessimistically(sp?). are you happy admitting that your contributing to the force that is killing the planet we live on, just so you can have a comfortable 80 or so years here?

i fail to see where you've noted capitalism as being an aid to the planet, or society, and not just to yourself. can we confirm that you say your satisfied in selling yourself to this system?

do you feel good about that?

are you happy knowing how absolutely horrible your way of life makes other people feel? and stop saying it's anyone elses fault. alot of people are absolutely incapable of standing up to this system, myself included... and the fact that you submit to it, and call all this "idealism", only proves that i alone can't stop it... dont tell me it's my fault, because i wont contribute to it, that only seems to point out how many victims the system has created.'

all i want is to live my life, and do what i'd like to do with it... and not on my free time.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hey, dr. ski wampas, take a moment and read your posts ...read them carefully and thoughtfully. ...and I hope with less anger and frustrations.

Baron Max