gangster vs. thug

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by poliwog, Nov 25, 2005.

1. poliwog Registered Senior Member

What is the difference between a gangster and a thug? I have always wondered this. I know to be a gangster one must be in a gang, but is that it?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

A gangster is sophisticated, cultured, and wields a thompson M1928.

A thug is a brutal motherfucker that pops a cap in your ass with a variety of 9mm armaments.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. poliwog Registered Senior Member

Oh like the difference between the Maffia and the Bloods?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Gangsters do use thuggery, but a thug could be a free agent and his motive might even be indiscriminate violence for its own sake, whereas a gangster usually has an agenda.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's gangstah, dude! Gangsters were from Al Capone's era. We call those folks mobsters now.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

There used to be no real difference. But then the "gangsta" movement came along, and the difference is clear:

Thugs simply do the job. They are often cruel and stupid, but are generally obedient to the heirarchy in which they exist.

Gangsters like to behave like independent-minded thugs, but are generally less intelligent than thugs. After all, any good thug will tell you that visibility is problematic when doing the job. Gangsters, though, like to show off what they are, show off what they do.

You know that old advert slogan for a breakfast cereal, "How do you improve on perfection?" Well, in a similar way, how does one get lower and dumber than a thug? I won't blame "rap" in and of itself, but it is fair to say that we owe the music industry a kick in the ass for its role in promoting the "O.G.". We also a round of applause to the drug warriors who maliciously targeted minority communities in order to play out their "War on Drugs". That's some nice crimefightin', boys and girls.

I mean, really: What is worse than a gangsta or a thug? Only the effing police.

10. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Hey, what about "soldiers", and no, I don't mean those in the army. God, I hate that slang term.

- N

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

A gangster is the Italian don all the thugs wish to be. That's why the've idolized Scarface and the Godfather, the Chinaman know dis and sellem da Scarface posta for nine dolla.
    The thug is da roach Al Pacino's got smeared on his polished shoes...

At any rate, the thug goes to the mall decked in replicas and way too much gold and is exactly who the China man wants to sell Scarface/Godfather posters and memorabilia to. Indians and Pakis know this too, so they set up booths selling phones and ugly thug jewlery.

12. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Still feeling sour?

13. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

He ripped it off a cheap website.

What does FUBU stand for?
    Farmers Used to Beat Us.

What does the NAACP stand for?
    Now Apes Are Called People

Disclaimer: Gendanken is no bigot. She hates you all equally.

14. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

True that. Damn yankees.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Still ...?

Nay. Rather a nicotine fit at best. Even worse, the possibility that I am ceasing to restrain myself to civility.

Fuck the police. Police officers are shite of the earth. And they have Officer Troy Klukas, of the Washington State Patrol to thank for that. Really, I was beginning to lighten up on them, then I read the lies and bullshit in an old police report; our police are not here to protect the peace. They are here to bolster the political ambitions of lawyers and legislators. In Washington state, if you are accused of a crime, the police will not investigate the facts. Rather, they'll try to hang you. Police investigation is not about solving crimes, but winning convictions. I owe much appreciation, and perhaps my continued freedom, to a supervising deputy prosecutor who understands this fact.

Incidentally, there is an eleven year-old who lives across the street from me who insists that FUBU stands for "Fuck U, Buy Us". Whatever. It's not as if I actually care about that.

16. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Your attitude and choice has alot more to do with police action than corruption ever will.
    I've seen plenty of episodes where an otherwise calm situation is marred by a black youth, for example, getting loud and disruptive assuming the officer is racist.

I'm sure the same is for a liberal pothead with a chip on his shoulder getting stopped for his weed. Those who are problems usually have problems with the police.

...."God" or a supervising deputy prosecutor who understands this fact.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Your ignorance has a lot more to do with why I think you're a waste of humanity than the corruption of your heart. I've seen plenty of episodes where a stupid twat like yourself speaks out of sheer malice and only ends up biting her own stinking ass.

At least you're flexible, dear. That's not exactly news, though.

When was I ever busted for weed?

Oh, well, if you were a decent human being, or at least literate, I would point you toward an earlier post which would deprive you of your ignorance. Then again, I wouldn't want to upset you that way, either. After all, ignorance is bliss, whatever bliss is worth to you.

Interesting, but inadequate. I will presume for the time being the inadequacy is yours, and not Chabert's.

If you are so determined to let your passions lead you astray, let them lead you to a warm bed and four orgasms. If you are so determined to let your hatred guide you, expect to make a fool of yourself.

Really, dear, even I thought you were smarter than that.

:m:

18. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Calling me urine?

You being the Resident Shit around here that only leaves piss

See, if you weren't the skeletonized, stringy haired fag I know know you are, that arrogance would actually be hot.

You don't have to be busted for weed, you idiot. Why, did I even mention yourname?
    Course not. To wit- your entire history here betrays your problems with authority, you yourself are one.

You can't even snob right. And by the way-
    a bit too much credit there, princess.

I hate the fat nurse who failed me. I hate ignorance, women and Catholics.
    I doni't hate you or mosquitos or cockroaches.

19. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'm going to take a stab at this without referring to the two with any feelings of personal bias.

I was always under the impression the gangster was a member of a gang (*gang*ster) of organized criminals, and a thug is a a person that commits violent crimes.
    The Gangster would be the only member with a guaranteed spot in a 'hierarchy', not the thug.......obviously because they are in a gang.
    The thug can be, but is not limited to be part of a group. The term thug really does more to define a person 'in the act of committing violent crime' as opposed to belonging to a specific sub-flavor of criminal activity. You could technically refer to some random rampaging soccer hooligan as a thug, or a whole group of hooligans as 'thugs', but could not refer to them as gangsters.

If you wanted to make it interesting, and use the current definitions to refer to the specific 'subcultures'- that's where the literal definition actually changes.
    The subculture definition of 'gangster' is used to define people that either are, or relate to (wannabe) in a mafia 'family'. The ingredients to being a part of the subculture theme is 1- wear an expensive suit; 2- have a bunch of loud flashy expensive belongings; 3- acknowledge membership in a mafia/mafia styled hierarchy; 4- commit crimes; murder.
    BTW- footnote- if you want to skip discussing the real italian mob, and talk 'black subculture' there is a huge difference between a "gang banger" (crips, bloods, vicelords, etc) and gangster (some schmuck with a mafia veneer). The black subculture basicly a superficial hollywood meme transported to the masses using rap music.

Subculture 'thug' is also a construct being sold by the black rap community. The thug is basicly a macho glorified criminal. The thug has a prescribed set of mannerisms (baggy clothes, slang, etc) and a system of beliefs centered around illegal activity (mainly drugs, theft, murder, prostitution, and being in prison). Personally, I get the feeling that being a thug requires a certain amount of nihilism.......or to the layman, not giving a fuck.

I think this makes since. Let me know if I've missed something.

20. esoterik appeal h. pylori Registered Senior Member

stupid terms for stupid categorizations of american (or otherwise) urban, mostly black city dwellers.

i reject the premise of this thread as caucasians are primarily responsible for it...

21. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Bull.

How so?

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

You might be the urine the whore kneels in on the men's room floor, but no, I was referring more to the fact that the world is impoverished for your continued existence. Unfortunate, but it happens sometimes.

(1) You raised the issue.
    (2) You need not mention my name. You addressed, "Your," and turned my phrasing back at me. Would you like to correct me, and tell us all who you were addressing?

Really, the psychiatrically-skewed eleven year-old across the street argues better than you. And, hell, he can't argue at all.

Why, thank you. Thank God for small mercies, eh?

Whatever you say, toots.

That's two posts, now, that demonstrate you have no clue what you're talking about.

After all, my hair isn't stringy, and given what you are and how you present yourself, I think I'm glad you don't find me hot.

At least we're still in Free Thoughts. Remember, though, the word "free", as such, implies a degree of liberty, not a reflection of why you're not actually a whore.

Patience, dear, I'm leaving Salem tomorrow, and you won't have to put up with me much at all for the next little while.

23. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

There's a 20 something page wet spot oops thread, on these forums, with your name on it that says otherwise.
    Or don't you remember how long you spent laboring your way through collossal posts, like a broken retard on television so conscious of the camera he forgets what he's talking about?

You're like John McCain on a talk show, a walking coma with a talking point.I shouldn't remind you how many think the same thing.
    And I'm the one that can't argue?
    Faggot.

He gave you that one precious inch, surely.

All you have, dear, is circumstantial evidence.
    And we all know that any prosecutur knows his case is weak when all he has is a shitty carpet fiber or a 'suspcious comment' to nail the defendant with.

Still think I was talking about you or to you? Come on genius, don't tell me you've grown paranoid in your absnece.

Any court would fry you.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005