Galileo was technically WRONG

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by RJBeery, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I understand your usage of the word technically in the context of this discussion. One of points is that in order to be technically wrong on the matter he first needs to have said something on the matter. How can he have been technically wrong if he never made the claim you're attributing to him in the first place? You claim that this whole discussion is pedantic and technical, and yet when I point out a pedantic technicality in your argument - that Galilelo never made the claim you're attributing to him in the first place you claim it's inane rather than addressing it.

At which point you use different mass because, the pedantic technicality is that as soon as you have to consider the earth falling towards another object as that object falls towards the earth, you're no longer describing a uniform gravitational field, you are instead considering a gravitational field with at least one kink in it.

There's a deeper point buried in that statement relating to precision and uncertainty which means that because of quantum mechanics your claim that the earth moves may be technically wrong.

I have read and understood it each time.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neddy Bate Valued Senior Member

RJBeery drops the test-objects one at a time, and then compares the measurements. If the bowling ball is on the earth when the golf ball is dropped, then the mass of the bowling ball should be added to the mass of the earth in the calculation. I know this makes only a miniscule difference, but it is technically true, and something that RPenner used to argue against RJBeery's conclusions. However, if an object of one solar mass magically appears 10m above the earth, and is dropped, we have to make that object magically disappear before the next calculation. Otherwise our earth becomes way too massive. I assumed we were talking about magically appearing and disappearing objects all along, but now there seems to be a distinction. What a mess this thread...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

The brick wall didn't travel anywhere. It's magical. We've already been over this. Plus, the brick wall doesn't even show up in the OP. I'm not sure what you're even talking about MD. Obviously, if the fall distance from the objects to the Earth was 10 meters then the total distance covered was 10 meters, but the object did not travel 10 meters; some of the distance was traveled by the Earth.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

OK, what statement should we be discussing?

8. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

So you're saying if I drop an object from 10 meters above the surface that it actually travels less than 10 meters until impact?

9. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Actually, Neddy Bate, I think this thread is brilliant. We've watched people like exchemist go from a denier to a doubter to a believer. We have good discussions going and I personally learned something new myself. Yes, that means that we have to suffer some other folks who are digging their heels in, but Sturgeon's Law is the reality when dealing with the Internet...

10. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Yes, Motor Daddy, that's the point which has been repeated in this thread at least two-dozen times. Congrats on catching up!

11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

So I guess you're also saying that if I drop an object from 4.9 meters above the surface that it actually travels less than 4.9 meters until impact?

12. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

By less than anything we can measure, yes. Big deal. Get over it already.

13. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

So zero=anything less than we can measure? So 0=.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 right?

14. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Yes. Newton's Third Law doesn't "kick in" at some special mass threshold; it always applies, down to the smallest possible mass interacting with the largest conceivable one. If you can appreciate that the moon exerts a force on the Earth then you can appreciate that the bowling ball does as well.

15. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

But your watch read 1 second, right? Or did that do something funny too?

16. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Yes, a watch of sufficient accuracy would calculate the difference between the time it takes a bowling ball accelerating at 9.8 m/s^2 to travel 10 meters versus that same bowling ball traveling slightly less than 10 meters. That actual time differential is IRRELEVANT, as long as we recognize that it is theoretically there; this explains all of the references to being "technical and pedantic" in my posts.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Don't get sucked into MotorDaddy's crazy! He loves it when people argue with him, and will say the dumbest things to get you to respond to him.

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I've already elaborated upon what I understand Galileo's statement to be - that two different masses will fall at the same rate [of acceleration]. The debate was, in essence (at least if I understand it), that if we drop two test masses of different composition down a bottomless well, which one accelerates faster? They're considering masses being accelerated 'down' a uniform gravitational field of infinite length, and you've already agreed that under those conditions the technicaly corect answer is neither.

19. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

He does that without prompting. What's the difference?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Then we are in agreement. The acceleration is the same, but the fall times may differ. As for what Galileo the man actually said, I don't know, I was addressing what many people (obviously!!) felt was a consequence of (what may or may not have been) his experiments.

21. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Wow. Talk about blinders.

22. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Dr_Toad you're responding to my post please elaborate what your issue is.

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Right, but that's a seperate issue from whether or not Galileo was technically right or wrong.

And as I've said a couple of times now, my understanding of the historical evidence is that the whole leaning tower of pisa thing was a concoction added at a later date by a biographer.