Gaining Lean Muscle

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lixluke, Jul 21, 2007.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

are you aware of all of the different types of amino acids that are needed. fish and omega 3 alone is not what he needs. you need a variety of protein sources to sustain muscle growth.

there is no simple solution its hard work, im a personal trainer i workout every single day, i eat shit loads of protein and everything else under the sun thats good for you, and im still not even close to my goal. i have been working out for years it takes pure dedication and effort.

you have to eat alot! to gain real muscles and you have to grind away in the gym. the best advice he can be given is to be consistent and dedicated, he needs to know what to eat and when to eat it. he needs roughly 5-6 medium size meals per day. a huge breakfast, to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight every day. all of his essential vits and mins, and to mix up his protein intake, not just rely on a single source of protein, you need to consume many different forms of protein from different sources.

and when your working out you have to hit the growth reps or its pointless. do you know how many people do a set, and dont hit the growth rep before stopping?, pain is gain, unless you are breaking down your muscles and consuming enough protein to repair them your going nowhere fast.

i always hear people saying "all you need to do is this its easy", yes talking about it is simple. but gaining those muscles hurts and takes it out of you. when i come home fromt he gym i can hardly lift my arm up and put the key in the door to open it. i collapse on the bed and can hardly make it up the stairs. when you come home formt he gym you should never feel "fresh", you should always feel like you just went 10 rounds with mohhamed ali.

do the obvious thing and drink enough water, eat your fruit and veg, get your RDA etc. but make sure you put in the work in the gym, intake that needed protein from various foods, and take the added supplements like creatine and protein shakes.

always eat protein before you go to sleep, thats when the muscles repair and grow the most. hardwork and dedication is what its all about. and without protein your muscles cant grow.

peace.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

every month buy a magazine called "muscle & fitness" read that for all the latest scientific studies on muscle gain, and nutrition. get down your local gym apply for membership, and talk to the gym instructors for advice.

peace.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Good pointers. I have been doing exercises pretty hard. I don't come home all messed up, but I think I do ok. There are lots of areas I need work on. I still have not developed an exact plan, but I am working on it. I haven't been in since Wednesday, but will be throroughly back in a routine tomorrow. I still drink hemp protein as lord hillyer suggested. I mix it in with my juice 2x per day. I have also been making raw soy milk. Also been mixing almonds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. Sometimes I add roasted carob for flavor and lightly roasted ground coffee for caffeine.

Caffeine is something I really want to stop using, but because I am still chronic fatigue, if I don't take it in some form, I will end up sleeping all day long and night. I feel that as long as I am successful in building up my lean muscle mass, I will have the strength and energy to be all natural like the great Ricky Williams (minus the weed). I don't crave caffeine like an addiction. I actually have to remind myself to take it like taking medication. I try not to forget because if I forget: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

If you have been working out for years, I'm sure you have noticed some sort of change. Yes?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The instructions on my creatine say:
    Take 1.5tsp 4x per day for 5 days.
    Then 1.5 tsp 2x per day.

Is that a good idea?

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Yes, thats absolutely fantastic advice.

9. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Shouldn't this thread be in biology or something?

10. draqon Banned Banned

mods are lazy.

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I'm trying to decide between
    CYTOGAINER: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cs/gainer.html
    and
    OPTIMUM: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Leaning towards Cytogainer
    1. This dude that was totally cut said he recommends Cytogainer over all others.
    2. The Optimum contains salt and artificial flavors. I get waaaay more than enough salt. Why is it necessary in a protein powder?

Still have not created a routine. I had no time. Still learning.
    I have the following exercises on my list thus far:
    -Romanian Dead Lifts
    -8 min abs daily Cruise workout
    -A set of neck stretches I have on a paper from my chiro. (I have neck probs)
    -Chair Squats
    -Range of motion routine that I got from when I went to this taichi class
    -Pushups on knees
    - These 2 machines at the gym for abs. Forgot the names. I'll get them later, and post.

Need advice on how to get rid of manboobs. Other than stop sitting in front of a computer 24/7. I don'treally have manboobs like some people. But my chest does have slight breast features.

I torred the book "Burn Fat Feed Muscle" by Tom Venuto. The first time I read it, I was PO because I was expecting all these exercise routines to learn, and found zero. But after going through it again knowing it is not exactly an exercise routine book. It is more of a theory book, I got information that I have been looking for. One of the main things I learned back in June which is one of the main things in this thread was the theory that gaining pounds in lean muscle was essential in burning fat, and ultimately shedding pounds correctly. Some dude explained this theory, but it was so vague. I wanted to write my own report about what he told me, but had not time to do research. Fortunately this book that I torred has much of that info. I'll be analyzing it, and reporting soon enough.

I really need a working flexibility routine as my ultimate goal is gymnist flexibility. I am contemplating on getting this book: http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Flexibility-Smart-Stretch-Strengthen/dp/0743270878
    The title appeals to me, and I read through some of it. It was great. Does anybody have experience with developing flexibility?

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i dont ever take monohydrate in spoon servings lol. i would think that if its 100% monohydrate that its too much. unless he uses some bullshit creatine. i use 100% monohydrate caps.

3 caps before workout, 3 caps after workout, 700 mg per cap, you do the math. and i dont mean the simple 700 mg x 6 addition, i mean thats alot less than heap spoons lol.

peace.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

salt is not 100% needed in protein powders. but as you will be sweating alot during the workout you will lose copious amounts of salt through sweat. so its good to top up before and after a workout. because you can actualy die from salt loss, this guy in the london marathon died from this. he kept drinking water without topping up on salt, and he eventualy collapsed and actualy died because his system was 100% out of salt. he ran over 26 miles and just kept drinking water water water. thats why i always tell people to drink a sports drink after a workout, they are designed to replenish your body with everything it needs.

your workout plan is ok, it is shaped around building core muscle strength wich you need. dont even attempt a split routine yet, stick tot he core muscles to start off. but for max gains you must always do sets, i see plenty of people in the gym going from 1 machine to the other like flies, doing 1 set of 10-15 reps and moving on to a different body part. seriously this will get you nowhere. its all about hitting the growth rep in each set, and making sure you actualy do many sets on each bodypart. even if you can only manage say 4 pull-ups, then just do 4 pull ups for 1 set, rest for 30-60 seconds and hit another set, and repeat again and again until you cant do anymore. also dont train to complete crashdown on every set. do that on your last set.

i have been taking part in some studies and found out that working out in the evening is better than the morning. we think it is mostly due to your muscles repair work doing more when its sleepy time. but we are still not concluded. other recent articles have suggested the same thing from university studies, but we decided to conduct some tests ourselves and it seems to be true.

also we found out that if you take a 3 min break in between each set, its not as productive as just taking a 1 min break. this has also been conducted by other fitness pros and we are also testing it to see for ourselves.

oh yeah and the push ups on your knees is the girls way. just get down and do it properly man, even if you can only manage 3-4 push ups. as i said before do as many as you can, rest and hit another set. you will increase your numbers in no time.

dont get to caught up with the sup products either man, just make sure your getting your protein and basic needs covered. workout hard and enjoy it. also when working out never try to take your mind off the workout like some people say, focus all your mind on the muscles you are breaking down. intense focus is what you want. imagine your muscles expanding and powering up. listen to some music and focus on those muscles burning hard. trust me it works.

peace.

14. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I'll consider that when I get a little better at the girlie pushups. I just encountered a prob today. The thing is, I have not done any exercise in 2 weeks. I had a huge emergency that needed my total attention, and then I had my computer to deal with. Today, I just started again. About a week ago, I took about 2 teaspoons per day of creatine for 3 days even though I wasn't exercising. I figured I would take it just incase I would have time to get back into the swing of things. But then I stopped when I did my scheduling.

Needless to say, I started back exercising today, and my muscles feel more atrophied. I did a machine for my chest that looked like this:
    http://www.cybexinternational.com/Products/displayproduct.aspx?id=11000

I did 2 sets plugged into the 50lb bar. Then, by the third set, I could not lift. Even when I took the plug off, and was lifting only the 10lb bar. I could not do it. Then, I went on to do my girlie push ups. I attempted one, and fell on my face. I could not even do one girlie push up.

I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

15. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Why would you want to work out any muscle daily? Unless you're not really serious about building muscle.

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

That's not true for abs.
    The abdominal group is one of the few muscle groups that you will still see a benefit even if you work them every day without recovery periods.

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What are you talking about? That is what the title of this thread is about? Why wouldn't I want to work out my muscles daily?

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Or should I not work out muscles daily? Exercise doesn't seem to be as easy as integrating trigonometric functions, valence electron configurations, kinematics.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

To lean down always go with LESS weights and more repititions if you are going to work out. Don't take any powders just eat a better diet with less fat and cholesterol in. Remember, less not no cholesterol. Walking fast for 30 minutes every dat AT LEAST will help you also.

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

OK. Something came up with my chest situation. A few weeks ago, I was able to do a probably 10 regular pushups (not the girly kind). Today, I could not do one single push up. I set myself in position for push up. I went down. I could not for the life of me push myself up.

21. draqon Banned Banned

it's called over exhaustion and poor planning. Do 5 at a time every 20 minutes for each day. See were it goes. If you agree to do this, than I will do so myself (until sleep time).

So do you agree?

22. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

OK. Every 20min for the whole day I have to set my alarm? I'll do it tomorrow, but I would probably do it when I am home. If for any reason I have to go out, I don't think I will be able to get to it until I get home.

23. draqon Banned Banned

well than if you are doing than I am doing it. But that means every 20 minutes do 5 pushups anywhere you are...on a street...do it...home...do it.
    I will start this tomorrow. Tell you the results. k.