fungus

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by timojin, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Yazata Valued Senior Member

With some multicellular slime molds that remain collections of discrete cells, perhaps. Volvox is one of the most simple multicellular organisms, a ball of individual flagellated algal cells.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think that these are all examples of what the very first multicellular organisms looked like back in the Precambrian. Bluegreen algae (cyanobacteria) are probably a much earlier example of very simple multicellularity, since they are prokaroyotes, not eukaryotic like the slime molds and volvox. (It's believed that cyanobacteria were the first large-scale photosynthesizers and were responsible for much of the O2 in Earth's atmosphere.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria

But some of the slime molds are different than all of these in that their individual cells fuse, losing the cell membranes dividing them from the other cells and merging their cytoplasm and cellular contents into a single mass of membrane enclosed cytoplasm that in effect is a single giant cell containing the contents of thousands of cells that merged into it to form it.

But when environmental conditions turn against them, they produce hardy resistant spores, and the fruiting bodies that produce the spores resemble similar spore producing bodies in fungi. When I was a biology undergraduate back in precambrian times, slimemolds were classified with the fungi because of these fruiting bodies. Today they are classified with the protista.

I guess that all of these organisms are survivors of the period long before (the cyanobacteria) and during which (volvox and the slime molds) the plants, animals, fungi and protista were branching off from each other and differentiating. Volvox is a very early example of the plant line, related the green algae, while the slime molds seem to have been an abortive evolutionary experiment and don't have any more sophisticated relatives.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.