Free Speech?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Aussie, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Aussie Registered Member

What ever happened to free speach?

Websites shut after Vatican complaints

AFP - Five internet sites which carried blasphemies against God and the Virgin Mary have been shut in Italy following a complaint by the Vatican newspaper, l'Osservatore Romano, the paper said on Tuesday.

A special police unit "took over an internet site due to the blasphemous nature of unrepeatable words which accompanied the name of the Madonna," the paper said, adding that four other similar sites had also been closed.

The police blacked out pages on the site so that internet surfers who try to visit them find nothing but the words 'Site seized by the Head of Rome's Special Police Force on the orders of Rome's Chief Prosecutor.'

The police also discovered a commercial network which sells T-shirts carrying the same blasphemous logos as appeared on the internet sites.

"This splendid result shows that serious and rigorous investigations can help to ensure that a luxury such as freedom of speech does not end up being used to offend the sensitivities and dignity of others," said l'Osservatoire Romano.

Pope John Paul II has on several occasions shown his support for the internet, whilst warning against some of its specific uses.

On May 12, in his most recent comment on the internet, he announced his intention next year to consider the subject "internet: a new forum to proclaim the Gospel".

Source

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Thats just plain wrong. Its the peoples own fault for being offended. Its not your fault people react. Governments supposedly support freedom of speech yet they censor almost everything. It seems we're going back to 1930's Germany here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Skull Registered Senior Member

What happened to free speach?

It went out the window with the local constabulary not being able to describe an offender running down the street who is, approxiemately 5'7, has straight jet black hair, yellowish complection as... wait for it... 'of Asian appearance'. Cause that's rascist. It's big load of B.S. That's what that is, and so to the million other examples of simular nature.

There are still a few moral high grounds which remain above the encrouching immoral guise of 'Free Speach'. The Church may have lost the plot( as I would concede any half-efforted attempt the discredit via actions), but the basic principals offered in religion are beyond reproach. People take things too far under the banner of free speach.

Some people might get off on wearing a T-shirt displaying, one of the last bastions for good, saying "pull me off with your lips". Others may see that as a horendious attack upon what they hold true and dear.

Quite understandable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Its all this Political Correctness. You can't call black people black, but you can still call white people, white.

8. Increan Sage Registered Senior Member

You said this happened in Italy. Well last time I looked Italy isn't America and they don't have freedom of speech over there. I may be wrong, but it is sad if they don't.

9. Shadowstrife911 Hail the Shredder! Registered Senior Member

Well be happy, because last I checked the Italian people have the right to freedom of speech.

10. Increan Sage Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the correction, and just another reason for me not to like the catholic church