Four horsemen of the apocalypse

Discussion in 'Religion' started by ThazzarBaal, Jun 27, 2023.

1. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

No I'm not saying that, but we do willfully make changes in life that lead to these genetic developments that are passed on to our offspring. We can also willfully change our genetic makeup via repetition. Things such as motor function can be developed in certain areas like balance, etc. There are scientist articles that document this but I have been hard pressed to relocate them online. I've read at least one that suggested this much. Live your entire life a certain way and it's in your genes. Some say addiction is viewed similar, and I can't disagree based on the article I read on motor function.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Having a body that has adapted to living in that environment gives you the ability to 'learn' how to live in that environment.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Sorry, that was in answer to dave, I will just repeat it for him just in case he misses it on this new page:
    What are you saying is the mechanism of evolution if not random beneficial ( by chance) mutatians being passed on to offspring? in a changing enviroment?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Yes ... and we likewise adapt as we move forward as people along with the ever changing world we live in, including social changes political changes, climate changes, and changes in commerce/industry, economic, etc. These things force us and motivate us to adapt to the changes taking place. Would this be macro or micro level? I keep forgetting which is which.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No. That wasn't what you said before.

Evolution is as much about critters dying off and going extinct. Mammals rose, not because they mutated some advantage, but because dinosaurs died and left a niche open.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  9. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Good or bad: My bold below
    No choice is made of what mutation is passed on to off spring.

10. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Beyond physical appearances is another level of adaptation, abilities such as reproduction, hunting skills, you know ... Survival stuff. That's what it's all based on ... Need and survival.

11. foghorn Valued Senior Member

I have too many windows open, I'm getting muddled.
    I see your point, that must be what Thazzar was trying to explain to me?
    Perhaps then I should have said, random mutations are one part of the mechanism of evolution?
    And that part, mutations, is what gave rise to hairy elephants.

12. foghorn Valued Senior Member

"That's what it's all based on" my bold
    Not all surely?
    If that was true we would all be one colour. Mutations have made the white skin more suitable for latitudes north and south of the equator.

13. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

I think camo would qualify as a survival adaptation. I wear camo. Sometimes I wear green, other times a suit.

14. foghorn Valued Senior Member

When you go for a job interview in the city, don’t forget to wear your camo.
    There's a reason artificial enviroments are not called natural. Are you hoping for a random mutation to turn you green?

15. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Just meetings and maybe something nice for the club ... Not too much for the club though. I typically took on more manual labor jobs when working, so no suit ... Khakis and a decent shirt or blue jeans and a t-shirt, depending on type of labor.

I like to be informed...if you didn't notice already.

16. foghorn Valued Senior Member

But, for some reason you are not a natural chameleon. Artificial is not natural.

17. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but the skin tone has camo qualities.

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Definitely true.

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Colour of skin is a tricky one. It's not a textbook case of mutation.
    All humans are the same species. We manifest differently depending on how much sunlight we're exposed to, and it can change if our environs change.
    The darkest African and the lightest Swede both have the same genes, just differently expressed.

20. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I abhor censorship
    I consider it a sin
    and the worst sin
    is self censorship
    one day(perhaps soon)
    AI will take over more and more of our access to information
    and censorship and especially self censorship
    will lead to AI having peculiarly perverse access to information
    which will lead to unforeseen problems
    so
    best to be open
    even if that openness leads to saying(posting) that which most would rather not be said(posted)
    so
    we have conventional norms of censorship
    as opposed to truth
    choose one

choose wisely

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Yes, yes, civilization is sin. Hence, four horsemen, and something about an apocalypse.

22. foghorn Valued Senior Member

I can see why it’s a tricky one.
    The off spring of black people are black at birth and the off spring of white people are white at birth.
    Something to do with genes being passed on? Was a random beneficial mutation passed on to people ranging North of the Equator?
    Yet, people are not getting lighter skin as they ranged as far South as Cape Town?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  23. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Nah ... Umm, regular animals get sick, kill each other, and die of starvation, etc. Or are you suggesting every living thing evil, hence the apocalypse?