Foot Binding

Discussion in 'History' started by superstring01, May 31, 2010.

1. superstring01 Moderator

I am not sure that the men ever saw the bare feet. In fact, there was a strong taboo against it.

What they usually saw was:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I felt like puking at some of those photos.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

Me too.

I can't imagine having to take a little child and break her feet so horribly. I cannot imagine the pain.

While it speaks negatively to China's past, it does shine a positive light on the attitudes and strength of their women who still toiled in the fields and--in the twilight of their life--could laugh, sing, dance, and still have the energy to carry children on their back.

I guess through adversity we really see a person's character. The old woman in the photos has a brilliant outlook on life. Such an attitude is not original to just her, but of much of her people. That's something to be proud of.

~String

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

She didn't break her own feet. Her mother would be the one to begin the process which results in the deformity. Its bound a little bit more every day until the desired size is reached. Very painful indeed

Not to mention what it did to the girls life. She could no longer run, she was denied the freedom of movement and becomes dependent on the servants around her. She was in a sense, bed bound (some men like their women like that

)

8. superstring01 Moderator

Did you read the article?

So, I reiterate: she broke her own feet. Unless you have proof that she was lying.

~String

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Oh sorry, I assumed that was the to the story featured in the video I linked.

Typically it was the mothers who would begin the process when the girl is young.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't only a rich man have a wife with bound feet? She couldn't work in the fields. She would have to be carried everywhere.

Wouldn't the pain of having your feet broken be worth it to never been a poor man's wife and work in the fields?

11. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Little delicate women who can no longer move well or fast. I think there is also a kind of fetishism. Small foot, more childlike, smaller vagina
    thing happening.

Sick stuff.

i noticed your list above.

Some are pretty horrible. I am not sure I would put Brazilian waxing in the same category as foot binding and cliterodectomies. Short term pain and no mutilation.

Not that I am pro waxing.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

13. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

14. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I find that confusing, looking at faces allows you to judge what someone preference is towards the rest of their body? But we all like a variety of features and some may even be shared between faces.
    Also when did thin-hipped women become the evolutionary preference? I was always told that science shows wide, child bearing hips were preferable?

15. soullust Registered Senior Member

That is gross and if my parents did that to me as a child Id murder them as an adult.

True story.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't. It would be worth that pain vs working in the field. A rich man's pampered wife carried everywhere vs a peasant working every day for food.

17. SilentLi89 Registered Senior Member

They could still walk, just not far or well, obviously. According to some elderly rural Chinese women who were interviewed in the 1960s I believe, who had their feet bound as little girls, they still had to work in the fields until they got married, then they weren't allowed outside of the house unless it was to buy food from the man with the food cart. They talked about how much things had changed since Communism took over. They found it strange that their granddaughters could leave the house and roam the streets as she saw fit, she didn't want to wear traditional clothes and she could freely socialize with men outside of her family without many social repercussions.

Of course Communism brought along a whole caravan of political and social problems, but when the people compared it to the Feudalism they were living in before hand it really did seem like it was heaven sent. I can see why people were so willing to basically worship Mao.