First scope for a newbie...

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by coevolute, Jul 24, 2000.

1. coevolute Registered Member

Hi everyone, I'm a beginning budding astronomy hobbyist in North America. It's such a great, educational hobby. Astronomy and ST are my favourite magainzes. As I dig deeper, I find conflicting stories about which telescope is right for a beginner. A Dobsonian is what I think most suitable and affordable, but I can't imagine how troublesome it would be to put a 6" or 8" Dob in the trunk and drive to the country. If only there's something with the best of both worlds: Dob's light gathering ability and short refractor's portability. Every night I get out I enjoy viewing the skies with naked eyes and a DIY red-LED flashlight and the sky maps in the magazines. I would appreciate if someone who has walked the path gives me a pointer or two.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Danis Registered Member

I share your passions and would like to get some info too.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lenny Registered Senior Member

I really like the Meade EXT Scopes (Wish I could afford one!)

Don't buy a cheep scope! It will just discourage you and end up collecting dust in your closet.

I can't afford a good scope so I get by with binoculars.

------------------
    The sky is not the limit, nor are the stars.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hi Coevolute & Danis,

Well, I can only give you the advice they once gave me: try to borrow one first from a friend or be sure you can test a telescope before actually going out and buying one.

I am glad I did the test first (borrowed a small scope from a friend) since this convinced me NOT to buy a telescope. You see, there isn't much out there the affordable budget can see (unless you have $3000 to spare) and if you're in a pretty light-poluted zone like me, you'll discover that all the objects you can see are boring after a night's watch.

So I have this advice for you: if you are really really sure about getting a telescope, and if you're in a non-light poluted zone (or are close to somewhere you can actually use the thing) then get the best you can get. If you're not 100% determined yet, or are in a zone with even minor light polution, then be sure to test one before spending the money.

Don't want to discourage you or anything - under good weather conditions I can still see saturn pretty clearly (my friend told me to keep the damn telescope because it was collecting dust at his place anyway). There is pretty neat stuff to see out there, but don't expect Hubble-like pics as I did (silly me).

Bye!

Crisp

------------------
    "The best thing you can become in life is yourself" -- M. Eyskens.

8. coevolute Registered Member

True, Lenny, I too like EXT series. Rather affordable. A pair of binos is my only tool.

Thanks, Crisp. Actually, I won't be buying one in months or even half a year. I'm very careful when it comes to spending big bucks. What I wanted is your opinion.

My situation: I want to look at a group of stars at a time real quick when I want to; Dob is out of the question cuz it's too bulky; price should be under 1000(crime is everywhere. it'd be sad if you go out in the dark with a ~$2000 babe for the first time only to find...); there's zero light pollution in the other side of my neighborhood(at times I wished to camp out in the car. So clear are the stars.); I have to drive a while to get to the stargazing place, so backyard astronomy with some light pollution and lots of bugs isn't in the book; I don't expect anything more than white dots, but human eyes have their limit; I won't take any photos at all, CCD is not for me.

TeleVue Ranger is kind of my liking. It doesn't seem to have any adjustment knobs. My dream scope would be a half-tube Dob mounted on a sturdy tripod. Weight should be around 20 pounds.

9. Lenny Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's not quite that bad. You can do pretty good in the $600 price range. in the Meade line. What does a C-8 cost now days. I suspect less than 3K and that is a darn good scope!

------------------
    The sky is not the limit, nor are the stars.

10. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Hi Lenny,

I agree, if you have a decent scope and have very good viewing conditions, then there is interesting stuff to see out there. Unfortunately the last condition is getting a very rare one. If you happen to live near a big city then even a $3000 scope won't get you anything spectacular.

Coevolute,

Well, seems you're at a good spot for watching, that's about the most important condition already fullfilled

Bye!

Crisp

------------------
    "The best thing you can become in life is yourself" -- M. Eyskens.

11. Bachus Registered Senior Member

Well yesterday i was finally able to test my 70mm refractor and i'm pleased with the result. I was able to see the rings on saturnus quite wel with it

Hmmm this really was an old topic