Filling bicycle tire without loosing air?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by darksidZz, Jul 1, 2011.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I don't know wtf to think :L I have these new bicycle tires right? And whenever the hell I fill them to their 85 PSI rating and remove the Schrader nozzle air comes out, but damn do they deflate fast, I mean I loose 20 PSI just removing the damn thing in that split second it's crazy. Any ideas how to fill it directly to 85 PSI without loosing all that damn air when I remove the connection?

The thing I'm using is a compressor so it's not a weak pump it's good. I just don't understand why I keep ending up at 60 PSI no matter how hard I Try!

GRRR...... I tried to fill it to 100 PSI for good measure but it deflates in the split second i remove the nozzle to like 80 PSI or less, idk im stressed advise?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Try lubricating it so it pulls out easier.

That's what she said.

And over-inflate it so when you lose some air, it goes down to the correct psi.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I use a manual pump,and depress the thing while removing the valve...but I'm also not that anal-retentive about my tires being the correct PSI.

In my experience, as the tubes/tires get older, they do better at a lower PSI pressure...if you inflate them to standard they go POP.

And I'm both poor and lazy, so I'd rather run around on tires inflated to 40 or 50 pounds PSI then go replace a tube/tire.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Back when I used to use schraeder valved tubes, I never really had this problem. Are you using some sort of threaded air chuck?

Buying a quality bicycle pump, with a thumb lock chuck and a built in air guage would certainly solve the problem.

Chimpkin, with the balloon type tires you're using, I'm sure your method works. But when you are using narrower tires, the pressure is crucial. If your pressure is too low with a 700x25 tire, hitting a rock in the road can cause the tire to deform enough to cause a pinch flat (sometimes known as a snake bite because of the two parallel holes) because the tube gets pinched between the object and the rim. I make sure mine are inflated to 110 PSI before riding. I'm guessing the tires that darky has probably fall somewhere between mine and yours.

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

True that.
    I ride either cruiser or mountain bikes, cruisers preferred.The budget fairy has not waved her wand over a recumbent bicycle-the roadberms where I live aren't trike-friendly.
    Currently I need to fix up a bike that I pulled out of a dumpster. That's an affordable bike, there...

Those hard tires, question-wouldn't they just slice open more easily on glass?

9. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Like just about everything in life, there are tradeoffs. Narrow high PSI tires have low rolling and wind resistance, but they are more vulnerable to certain types of punctures than larger, thicker balloon tires. In much the same way that the tires on a late model Corvette are going to be more failure prone than some tall profile tires on a pickup truck. Tires with a Kevlar belt between the casing and the tread are tougher, and a reasonable compromise between high performance and practicality for the kind of riding that I like to do. I really hate glass on the road though. Losing a fairly new $45.00 tire because someone was afraid of getting busted for an open container can really ruin your day.

10. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I seem to lose even the balloon tires, with the slime tubes, to glass pretty regularly. Welcome to the 'hood.

11. John99 Banned Banned

Could one gauge be wrong?

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Besides solid rubber tires before the pneumatic tire was invented, solid tires, usually of polyurethane are offered for 100% flat prevention. The desirable suspension quality of the pneumatic tire is lost, and ride quality suffers.

WIKI

Air Free Tires Win 5 Triathlons

Bud Frankenthaler, long time user of Air Free tires, has won 5 Triathlons in 2009, 2010 and 2011 using our Air Free Daytona TT 700 x 20 Airless Bicycle Tires. Bud gets his made a little harder by getting them customized. He sends in pictures and articles from time to time and we sure are proud of him and his accomplishments. Air Free Tires work great and here is more proof! Air Free Tires win races!!

http://www.airfreetires.com/

http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping/p-92-700-x-20-daytona-time-trial-622.aspx

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

I think all the road bikes I've had, have had 'Presta' rather than Schrader valves:

Presta are more suited to higher pressures, and narrow tyres, ... so I'm curious why you are using such as high PSI on a tyre that has a Schrader?

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

High pressure 26" tires are pretty common now. I like Schwalbe Big Apples, you have a range of pressure to choose from, 40-80psi.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I gave up biking thirty years ago, for three reasons:
    • It seemed like every second time I took it out I got a flat tire. This was right after Proposition 13 was passed in California and the first thing the local governments economized on in order to punish us was street cleaning.
    • Three of them were stolen in a five-year period. Two from inside my locked truck and one (chained up) from the well-guarded parking lot of a government building.
    • I ran over some kind of non-obvious pavement joint and landed on my face. I've still got the scar from the frames on my glasses cutting into my skin.
    Mile per mile, a motorcycle was a much safer means of transportation, and also a whole lot more fun.

I took up swimming for exercise.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I don't understand why more people don't switch over to the solid tires, they cost less and last allot longer and no maintenance.

17. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Why don't you just inflate to 100 psi?

18. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I have the same issues when I inflate the tires on my motorcycle.

You lose the most air if you flip the little lever at the top of the nozzle and don't pull it off quick enough. The trick is to flip the lever and pull it off as quickly as possible. This can be tricky if it's tight and stuck to the valve. Your best bet is to get good at the quick flip+pull.

Either that or you can get one with a lever designed for quick pull. There's some that lock in place vertically instead of horizontally, and those are easier to work with.

PS - this guy at the hackerspace I just joined was talking about some redneck trick where you ignite ether on the tire rim to inflate it, but that was for car tires. I don't know if it works for bicycle tires.

19. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Gasoline works too. The melting creates a temporary seal. Won't work for bicycle tires at all, because the bike tires are tube tires.