Feeding a family for one week

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by kmguru, Mar 28, 2008.

1. John99 Banned Banned

Thats what i eat too. I dont believe in stereotypes, perhaps that is the problem???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'd say there definitely are trends at what people consume nation wide - the popular foods. There always are exceptions of course.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

Sciforum members usually do not represent the masses. While younger days, I ate all sorts of stuff ...these days, I eat a reasonable amount of proteins as in Eggs, Chicken, Fish, Beef and Pork, Lentils and Protein powder as in milk shake when I do not have time to have something prepared. American store bought breads have tons of various chemicals, so we do our own bread once a while in a bread machine...otherwise it is easier to cook rice. We do drink lots of Water, Milk, Orange juice, grape juice, mixed fruit juices etc.

For some reason, the local water even after going through the filter does not agree with me, so I buy distilled water which is cheaper than the bottled drinking water...and so far no stomach problems for the last 5 years....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Upon close inspection I found grapes.

9. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

10. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

I see a few tomatoes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Myself, I spend about $5-10 a day in food/beverages, not counting my once or twice a week splurge eating out somewhere expensive. It all depends on my mood; sometimes I can live real cheap and basic, others I can spend like crazy. Usually the more people I have around, the more I spend, aside from the obvious part where more people would cost more.

One of my uncles who's a real health nut is an amusing one. He'll shop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and easily spend $80 and he comes back with two little bags that lasts only a couple days for himself, heh. Trying to buy organic, non-processed, non-sugar, and similar foods in the U.S. is ridiculously expensive. I economically feel sorry for vegans and the like.

- N

11. Roman Banned Banned

Yeah, I know a lot of people who buy pre-cut, pre-grated, pre-chewed food.

Too costly.

12. kmguru Staff Member

Pre-chewed? Can not buy dentures?

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Good goddess, you're spending $150-$300 a month (plus splurge) for one person! That would be $600-$1,200 per month for the standard family of four! Single people generally spend a ruddy fortune on food compared to married people, especially those with children. One obvious reason is that the families simply can't afford to eat that way, another is that generally at least one member of the family actually knows how to cook a decent meal, and finally it is a little more enjoyable to eat at home if you're not alone. Still, people like Neildo bring the average up. Some family out there is getting by on $250 a month to bring it back down!
    Well of course. Mass production brings prices down, that's what the Industrial Revolution was all about! Trying to eat a Neolithic diet in a nation of agribusiness factory farming is like trying to drive a horse cart down the freeway. It's a sweet nostalgic idea, but the infrastructure isn't there to make it practical.
    You have to REALLY feel strongly about it to:
    • A. Override Homo sapiens's instinctive taste for meat. We are, after all, the only primate with a digestive system adapted to a hunter's diet.
    • B. Balance a meatless diet. It's not easy to get the amino acids right, much less the vitamins and minerals. Especially for the people who don't even eat milk and eggs, which have some of the same nutritional value as meat. Life expectancy at the dawn of the Neolithic Era (the Agricultural Revolution) was around 50 for an adult who survived childhood. In the Roman Empire, when people had converted to a grain-intensive diet, it was down in the 20s.
    • C. Pay for a non-carnivorous diet, especially one with no milk and eggs. Those vitamin-mineral supplements are expensive. You have to do some pretty fancy balancing of grains against nuts and seeds to get the proper amino acids for protein regeneration. Otherwise you end up like the Romans.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I don't have such a taste, meat makes me sick. I ate meat as a kid, but not poultry, then later I developed a severe distaste for pigs, beef and eventually fish.
    The idea of eating a dead animal also does not please me in the slightest.

15. John99 Banned Banned

It is much easier to go to a bakery. They dont use chemicals and the U.S has them too.

16. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

And I don't even eat breakfast, so the cost would go up for that. I usually just eat once a day, maybe twice, which would basically be a snack sometime during the day. I even tend to cook my own things too, but crap is expensive, unless I wanna eat nothing but pastas or beans and rice. I mean, take something like fajitas. About $2-3 for a pack of flour tortillas, 50 cents for an onion, 25 cents for cilantro, 15 cents for a tomato, about $1.50 for a friggin' bell pepper, $2.50 to $4 for a pound of meat, $3-4 for a thing of cheese, and let's say it's just for that if I chose to have nothing else on the side with it. Cut that in half if I eat just that over two days and it's still about $5 a day and I'll throw in a gallon of water for 60 cents to last those two days too. If I wanna snack on fruit or something, that stuff is expensive, but good thing I grow some of my own things, although limited so I still need to buy my own.

If I wanna save money, I either gotta have a simple beans and rice diet or buy nothing but processed junk food. I mean, I'm not really a health nut, but I like fresh ingredients and I don't buy ridiculously priced organic foods. I could substitute the meat for chicken which is cheaper, and I do mix it up a bit, but I prefer meat so I'm using that as an example just for one meal, and that's not counting something like the occassional energy drink at work since I work real early mornings and I'm not a coffee person as I prefer tea, but I can't make that there. Man, think of the crazy people that go to Starbucks every morning and buy those $6 coffees, heh.

Things tend to be cheaper for families because they buy in bulk or at least most things sold are in larger proportions here, so a lot of times whatever I make, I eat the same thing for the next day or two since I don't want it to go to waste and it sucks cause I like variety (which is probably the main reason for my food costs being higher, variety is sort of a luxury, I guess), but I do tend to use the same ingredients for things I make and that's the good part about Italian or Mexican styled food, they tend to be the same thing with just slight alterations. But if I wind up buying smaller portioned items, the cost ratio friggin sucks, so to save money, you gotta buy the bigger buys and stick to the same sorta foods. I mean hey, ever see those ridiculously priced tiny little half-can things of soda? I don't even buy those, just using that as a quick example.

Oh yeah, for kicks, I'll add in my $20ish (oh joy) salad, heh. I love it, but dang it's expensive, so I don't eat it as often as I'd like, but geez, it'd suck to be a vegetarian, price-wise. Let's see:

$2 green leaf lettuce
    $1 iceberg lettuce
    $1 carrots
    $1 cucumber
    .20 tomato
    .50 red onion
    .50 one bunch of radishes
    $2 jar of pepperoncinis
    $1 small can of black olives
    $1-2 small head of broccoli
    $3-4 cauliflower (only sell these stupid things whole, I tend to omit it)
    $1.50 small thing of red cabbage
    $2 pack of sprouts
    $2 croutons
    $3 pamersano romano cheese

And then lightly put on whatever vinaigrette dressing I may already have since it doesn't need anything due to all the natural flavors, just for texture so I won't add that into the cost. That'll make about two large bowls of salad, which if I ate nothing but that, I could eat one whole thing in one day, so cut the price down in half to $10 per day. Sure, I could just make a salad with just boring lettuce and a few slivers of carrots or just nothing but a variety of greens, but that's too plain for me. I dunno, I can easily spend $10 a day on food just for myself, and just for one meal even.

Anyways, that'd be an interesting thread, people's shopping habits, what they bought today, what they made, etc etc, to give people ideas and whatnot.

- N

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So you're one of the ones who has indeed overridden your body's adaptation to a carnivorous diet. Apparently to at least some degree because as you grew up you developed a moral philosophy against it. Most people hunger for meat to the point that not being able to eat it regularly is a major factor in their definition of "poverty." Although in the West our agricultural practices are such that a well-balanced diet with plenty of meat is not the most expensive way to eat.

Perhaps some day everyone will be like you. I don't evangelize meat eating and I respect people who don't do it. My wife won't let me get a potbellied pig because she'd have to stop eating pork and that's the only mammal meat she really likes. I draw the line at bunnies.
    Some of those prices are outrageous. You need to get a Costco card or at least find a discount market. A three-dollar stack of tortillas is an armload. I put cheese in my eggs every morning and it often goes in my dinner, and three bucks worth lasts me a week. You should be able to get a pack of five peppers for five dollars.
    For the goddess's sake, that water comes out of the same municipal supply as your kitchen faucet. It's honestly labeled as "purified water" and that's exactly what the city contracts to sell you for a monthly fee. They already outed Aquafina for having literally nothing in their factory but faucets--couldn't bust 'em because it was legal: "purified water." Get yourself a Brita or Pur filter pitcher and change the filter every three months. You'll actually have the filtered water you want that way, and save a fortune. too.

This is how people run up their budgets, it doesn't take a daily trip to Starbucks. They spend a ruddy fortune on the same water they get at home--or maybe somebody else's home in a different city. And they shop at Safeway instead of Costco. Sure you have to buy larger quantities but even if the stuff at the bottom of the sack goes soggy before you get down to it, it's still cheaper than supermarket prices. Use your freezer, get a vacuum bag sealer, be creative. We make our own dog food; for twelve dogs the annual savings are way up into four figures.
    If you mean literally "junk food" and not just canned or frozen food--which is perfectly nutritious--you're doing something terribly wrong. I treat myself to frozen burritos or tamales from Trader Joe's once or twice a week (my wife and I are on opposite coasts due to my job so I don't get her home cookin') and I think they cost me less than your home-made fajitas, and they are most definitely not junk food. But by my standards $2.50 for those suckers is an expensive meal. It doesn't cost me anywhere near that much to cook up the ingredients I get at Costco. Pasta with imported Italian sauce, fresh ground Romano cheese, and sausage that I cook up in five-pound batches and freeze.
    What kind of cheap-shit place is this that they don't have a microwave oven in the lunch room to boil a cup of water??? I hope they pass the savings on to you in a really generous salary.

Suze Orman tried to help a "poor" lady balance her budget and she was spending $2,500 a year at Starbucks. I suppose I wouldn't be quite so contemptuous of them if they actually made gourmet coffee!
    Yeah, that is a problem. I don't mind eating the same thing four nights in a row. I remember how good it was last night and I sort of look forward to having it again. I'm also not respectful of eating conventions. When my wife makes a big batch of something she has to freeze the leftovers right away or I'll want it every night. Sometimes I'm in a hurry or I just have a taste for a couple of peanut butter and cheese sandwiches on multi-grain bread for dinner, and I'm sure that doesn't cost 75 cents.
    Like I say, even if you end up tossing some of it in the compost or donating it to the homeless guy outside the subway station, it might still be cheaper than buying in smaller quantities. The stores aren't ripping you off so much as that the packaging, shipping and handling just become so much more expensive.
    I can't use those big plastic bottles either, but if you buy a 24- or 36-pack of regular 12oz soda cans at Costco they're about 30 cents each.
    I suppose that's a salad for two or three nights? You're spending as much on salad as I do in two weeks and I eat one almost every night. They sell about half of those things at Costco and even the greens will last two weeks if you stuff them with paper towels, store them in the hydrator bin, and set your fridge temperature very carefully. They sell a three-pound bag of broccoli, florettes only, pre-washed, for about $4.00. I don't eat lettuce because spinach has more vitamins and minerals, but they sell spinach the same way and there's almost no kitchen chore I hate worse than washing spinach! You'll get really big cans or jars of olives and stuff like that at great savings.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i spend about £250 a week on food, i dont know what that is in US dollars but there are 6 of us in this house!

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Isn't it cheaper to buy broccoli and cut it up? And what veggies at the grocery store aren't pre-washed?

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's just about exactly $500. (When I was a kid it was always $5/£1 and one of your pennies was worth two of ours.

) That's not bad for six people. Especially since the U.S. is a major food exporter and it's generally cheaper over here.
    Perhaps it's cheaper at supermarket prices but their price for packaged broccoli is about three times per pound what it is at Costco. I find that once I throw away the stalks (yuck!), Costco's is significantly cheaper.

Maybe all veggies are pre-washed these days, but they're lying out in open bins and everybody paws them. Considering how dirty my hands are sometimes when I walk into a market I can't blame people if the schmutz they put on the veggies is worse than the schmutz that the farmers already washed off.

And then I see rugrats reaching through their kiddie seats and playing with the food. Barf city.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

GASP!!! Throw away the stalks!? Wha???? There are so many uses for them. Shred them up in soup, use them as you would zucchini in bread/cake/muffins, etc.

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I hope they didn't impose price controls. That will only create shortages. Better expensive food than no food.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm an unrepentant carnivore. Well, carno-chocolativore anyway. I eat vegetables because they're good for me, not because I like them. There are certain things, well actually a great many things, that the Fraggle does not eat. Number one on that list is celery. Broccoli stalks are pretty high, right next to Brussels sprouts, and you don't have to go too far down it to find zucchini.

So when all your zucchini plants bear fruit this summer and you go around leaving giant grocery bags full of zucchini on all your neighbors' doorsteps in the middle of the night, you can skip mine.

When my wife makes soup it's got chicken, noodles, and matzo balls in it. Broccoli stalks go in the compost.

Vegetables I love: avocado, red cabbage... well wait there must be more... yeah, okra, cabbage with corned beef, eggplant parmigiano, bok choy.

And as we all know, chocolate is a vegetable.

Yes I know, real Fraggles subsist on radishes. I guess my cover is blown.