Feeding a family for one week

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by kmguru, Mar 28, 2008.

1. kmguru Staff Member

I received a picture that I could not upload to tinypic due to size. So here is the textual info:

Family of (N) All USD$

Germany (4)..... $500.07...Bargteheide
    USA (4)............$341.98...North Carolina
    Italy (5)............$260.11...Sicily
    Mexico (5).........$189.09....Cuernavaca
    Poland (5)..........$151.27...Konstancin
    Egypt (10)..........$68.53...Cairo
    Ecuador (9).........$31.55...Tingo
    Bhutan (12).........$5.03....Shingkhey
    Chad (6)..............$1.23....Breidjing Camp

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Food is very expensive here in Germany, and it happened when the country switched to the Euro. When it was introduced, the Euro was worth about 2 German Marks, so everyone expected food prices to be cut in half. Bread would be 1 Euro instead of 2 Marks for example. Needless to say that didn't happen.

That said I can't imagine paying $500 a week for food, I don't know what these people are eating but it's way too much.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

In Latvia food is even more expensive than Germany. Nuts!

Main problem is lack of competition, a few huge retailers own the food market and dictate their rules to producers and their prices to customers.
    One even was so "in your face" that said that they don't worry about rising prices because humans would still need to eat no matter what.
    Our parlament recently passed a law that should limit that, but many are skeptical.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't it be what you ate that determins the food costs? Then you could get by on much less if you really tried couldn't you and yet still be feed enough to be full. :shrug:

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Milk, bread, eggs, potatoes, meat, cheese and other basic foodstuffs are always bought, and you can't really replace them with something else.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I have oatmeal without milk in the morning, a bowl of soup for lunch with crackers and a glass of water or two with them both. At dinner I sometimes just have a bagel and cream cheese or go out. Now that doesn't cost me a whole lot. True , everyone enjoys different stuff but if your on a budget then other dishes will have to do.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Latvians are a conservative society when it comes to food (or anything really),
    besides your menu seems very bland, hardly any energy for a good day's work.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But I'm retired!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Holy Crap! $341!? I can feed my family for a month on that! I can buy half a cow and feed them for a year on that.
    I spend in between Egypt and Ecuador.

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

What kind of food are people buying. I mean food is expensive, but they must be buying only name brand items at the most ridiculously priced store they can find. I spend about $80 a week on food for two people. But I've heard that kids are expensive... :shrug: so maybe I'm underestimating.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

That's what I thought. Are they shopping at 7/11?? Living on lobster? I bet they are buying a lot of pre-packaged food in the freezer section.

I was talking to a guy at work today and he was surprised I know how to cut up a chicken. Now-a-days you can buy it already cut up. Costs more, so I don't.

15. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

My mom wouldn't buy stuff if she thought the price was outrageous. With the exception of milk, eggs, and cheese. When meat prices spiked we just didn't have meat. My mother might have been a bit extreme, but sometimes sacrafices must be made, so you don't go into debt shopping for food.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with scrambled eggs and pancakes for supper or soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
    My kids know, if its not on sale, its not going in the grocery cart.

17. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I probably spend closest to what Poland does ..........$151.27...

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

About $50 a week in Mumbai India, middle class family of four to six

The poor probably get by on less than $5 a week

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I also catch my own fish and lobster when in season. That helps defray my exppenses somewhat also.

20. kmguru Staff Member

I think I have the half of the picture now.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Hmmm, I see delivery pizza, Burger King, McDonalds, coke, name brand chips, Capri sun...

ummm, no. Those are special on sale we have to have a coupon kinds of things here. We eat like Italy. Lots of whole grains and fresh fruit/veggies.

My husband threw a fit saying he works hard and he deserves...blah blah blah. As I remind him, money we save pays for his fishing trips with his buddies. He's now a bigger penny pincher than I am.

22. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Those pictures are awesome. Look at all the little differences in there. The German family has everything neatly arranged, seperated into different food groups even. They all look pissed off and not happy to be in a picture. That picture IS Germany, 100%.

The US family just kind of throws everything on a table, almost all brand-name stuff or junk food. No fruits or vegetables to speak of, except maybe some grapes.

The Italian family is almost all bread, fruits and vegetables.

Obviously those families aren't representative of everyone in those counries, but it's still interesting to see them side by side like that. Germany made me laugh, I can't believe how well that picture portrays the German culture.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I like the German table best, and it's the closest to Latvian cuisine from those.
    The American pic looks horrible! No wonder many have health issues eating all that crap.