Feedback on Recent Changes

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Gustav, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Do you hold a particular animosity to the subject of cryptozoology?

I agree that Ufology should have its own subforum, but I don't agree that all of the hypotheses or schools of thought about the phenomenon should be discarded.
    Ufology has never been a monolithic consensus. There are nuts and bolts ET theories; ultraterrestrial; and extradimensional, which I would say probably includes demonic theories (John Keel), and whatever else people have come up with. Some would reject any one of those outright, or say that aspects belong in parapsychology.

Does ufology deal exclusively with Unidentified Flying Objects? Does it exclude cases where a typical humanoid associated with ufo's (greys, for example) are sighted in the absence of any flying vehicle?
    There are precedents for such things. Wasn't NICAP known for not wanting to touch any cases where occupants were sighted, for various reasons? Aerial Phenomena were the center of study.

I don't think that's specifically where you were going, and this really isn't germane to whether or not there should be a ufology subforum, but I had to say something about the definition, since you were talking about that. I'm only wondering how broad or narrow the lines of demarcation between these subjects needs to be.

I'm all for Ufology as its own subject here. Lord knows it's about time.

I agree with your assessment, for what it's worth: ufology, in my experience, has probably attracted more serious scientific study, as well as cases and witnesses, than any of the other "fringe" topics. The Air Force never had a Project Bigfoot Book.
    Although, you describe ghostly phenomena as a footnote, and maybe it is here, but there seems to be no shortage of ghost hunter shows on TV. I guess I couldn't speak to that.

Beyond that, and giving ghosts to the paranormal forum, where would cryptids fit in? I don't piss on that topic, and never have. There are plenty of people who are just as convinced of seeing Nessie and Sasquatch as they are convinced they've seen a flying saucer, and I see no good reason to either group them all together, nor throw any of them away.

Any suggestions where the leftovers and outcasts go? Anyone?

This is what exists at this time:
    • Alternative Theories (revolutionary physics, alternative medicine, creationism/intelligent design and more)
    • Parapsychology (ESP, telepathy, faith healing, precognition, dowsing, talking to dead people)
    • UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters (They are amongst us...)
    • Conspiracies (faked moon landings, JFK, etc.)
    • Pseudoscience (If it doesn't fit in any of the other Fringe categories...)

Something should be done with some of these.

I don't even know why I'm saying anything. I'll be quiet now.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

pseudoscience naturally
    awesome post, battista

and yes you are right, there is some shit i will not even touch with a goddamn barge pole
    color me prejudiced but this stuff is flaky enough already

and that's why "Monsters" has to absolutely go

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The term "Monsters" could be dropped with little loss.
    Or do you mean the whole section?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Proposal: OtF —> Potsherds

Proposal:

James, would you consider simply renaming "On the Fringe"? I would propose it should be called "Potsherds".

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Bah... why did you guys even fuckin bother?...just dump the new topics.

9. Gustav Banned Banned

and here is tiassa creating some "facts on the ground" in order to maintain his aesthetics. kinda like those illegal settlements you find in palestine.

/snicker

in UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters we have Yeti: Siberian Regional Administration Claims Confirmation of Legendary Snow Man

an utterly transparent pre-emptive strike

/woot

now lets see why here....

is a yeti a ufo? no!
    is a yeti a ghost? no!
    is a yeti a monster? apparently so!

/rotfl

this is how these things have to prostitute themselves in order to maintain their bogus proposition.

yetis are monsters!​

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  10. Gustav Banned Banned

woooooooo
    wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo woooooooooo

Monsters!
    They are amongst us!

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wooooooooooooo
    woooooooooooooooooooooooooo

eeeeek
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeek
    eek
    eek
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

A monster is any fictional creature, usually found in legends or horror fiction, that is somewhat hideous and may produce physical harm or mental fear by either its appearance or its actions. The word "monster" derives from Latin monstrum, an aberrant occurrence, usually biological, that was taken as a sign that something was wrong within the natural order.

The word connotes something wrong or evil; a monster is generally morally objectionable, physically or psychologically hideous, and/or a freak of nature. It can also be applied figuratively to a person with similar characteristics like a greedy person or a person who does horrible things.​

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wooooooooooooo
    woooooooooooooooooooooooooo​

11. Gustav Banned Banned

please move the aforementioned thread to pseudo
    thanks

if you object, make the case that the yeti/cryptids satisfies at least some of the attributes commonly ascribed to either monsters, ghosts or ufos.

furthermore, Dartmoor Beast Identified As New Species Of European Giant Hyrax? was locked on 08-23-11 in pseudo. despite that it was moved to UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters

what would be the purpose of seeding a new forum with dead threads? what could possibly have been the intent of the mod who moved it there?

yeah... do exactly the opposite. thrash the new forum with as many dead cryptid shit as possible.

/snicker

12. Gustav Banned Banned

it was a sequential and categorized move from pseudo, dumbass
    apologize to tiassa

13. Gustav Banned Banned

apologies, tiassa

14. Gustav Banned Banned

quite possible
    provocative terms such as fringe/ghosts/monsters/conspiracies in forum titles will probably be a magnet for kooks and trolls

i feel the need to absolve myself here. this was the extent of my desires

as far as the officious sounding "ufology" goes, it is not so much to give credence to the woo woo's blurry specks in the sky but to encourage some rigor and rationality in the lines of argument presented

15. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I'm Alive !!! I am called the Beast . Not really a monster as you would normally think . Though I would crush the current system of economic structure with a word and blow off the displaced with a gust of wind from my mouth and not give it another thought . Monster enough for you . I live ! I am a Monster . The Snow Man is real . Brain Freeze! So is Satan Claws . A fat Cat with red sweat pants that likes to play guitar while belly dancers dance in provocative ways . Fat cat Satan Claws the Monster in red sweat pants . With a hammer . E i E i Oh

16. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

The Cess could be for the truly stupid ones, the Pool for the stupid yet sexually titillating ones...

What a great, idea, Gustav!:bravo::xctd:

My wife suggested we treat the new fora as shooting-galleries for debunking nonsense...

I'd like to study it as a sociological phenomenon.
    Along with the people who have paranoid delusions about the government beaming thoughts into their heads...coming together online and forming support and activist groups to stop the government beaming thoughts into their heads...

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

18. Gustav Banned Banned

so ahh, james?

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Don't look at me; I'm just confused

Note to Gustav

Don't worry 'bout it. I took my swing and whiffed horrendously, so I'm just staying the hell out of this one, lest I screw it up even worse.

20. Gustav Banned Banned

Occupy SciForums: Day 1

*Rename UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters to Ufology

21. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

That's a good windproof tent you have there, Gustav...good job that, with all the hot air and windbags around here...

22. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I kind of like the new subforums.

Unfortunately, I still see a real problem. And no, it isn't the names of the new subforums. Nobody is going to be posting with conceptual precision in any of these places so it doesn't much matter what they're called.

The problem is that the conventional science fora up on top continue to be crank-science fora. All that the new fora have accomplished is increasing the percentage of Sciforums that's devoted to crank-science. That's not really a good thing.

For example, if anyone with real scientific interests logs on to Sciforums for the first time, they are greeted by a 600 post wonder promoting what appears to be a cold-fusion scam, front and center on the first forum. (Link here) If Sciforums' management has any hopes that the recent changes will improve Sciforums, that thread and others like it really need to be moved down to the alternative theories section. (Not banned, not silenced, just moved.)

The topic of discussion isn't the fundamental problem. The problem is the manner in which that topic is being treated and the nature of the conclusions that the discussion is promoting.

It's entirely possible to conduct a scientific discussion of religious prayer and/or meditation for example. A scientific treatment might discuss psychological research findings concerning these practices, as an example.

If discussion turns to careful description of the practices, to how those who pray and meditate conceive of the religious purposes and significance of what they are doing, towards the long and complicated histories of these practices, or towards comparing them with seemingly similar practices cross-culturally, then the thread might still be eminently scholarly. It might even be a necessary adjunct to the science, since ostensibly scientific discussions of these things are often marred by appalling ignorance about what's supposedly being studied. But that kind of discussion would probably be drifting slowly away from science towards the humanities.

And if the discussion simply devolves (as is almost inevitable) into iteration number 593442 of atheists vs theists, then it might still fit, however uncomfortably. in 'philosophy', but it isn't 'science' any more.

I think that there's real value (to say nothing of fun) in discussing that kind of stuff. But I think that both of us will agree that if what people believe exists is too... let's say 'controversial'... compared to the the present scientific view of the universe, then threads tirelessly promoting fringe-science and crank-theories probably belong in an 'alternative' or 'speculation' space.

(If the crank-threads are going to remain up in the conventional science fora, then the 'alternative' fora probably need to be deleted. They'd just be redundant.)

I like that approach and agree with it whole-heartedly.

It just needs to be put into actual practice.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  23. Gustav Banned Banned

Occupy SciForums: Day 71

*Rename UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters to Ufology