Favorite Chess Opening and Favorite Chess Player

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by GammaMatrix, Jan 6, 2013.

1. GammaMatrix Banned Banned

I have a few openings I like:

The Lasker Trap
    Fried Liver Attack
    Smith Morra Gambit

Not keen on the queens or kings Gambit. Nor am I fussed for the Kings Indian Defense even though it is quite popular and Kasparov used it for a number of years.

My favorite player is Judit Polgar - it has been said my style of play was very much like hers... I go straight for the king. So I started watching online vids of her games, watched many and became hooked on her.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

my favorite chess opening is pawns out in a line the farthest, i dont have any fancy name for it. I guess my favorite player is Kasparov, even though I despise his political choices.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I was High School and University champion until a Chessmaster made me feel like a beginner. To reach that level you really need to know your first 20+ moves by rote.

I would say without a doubt the best chess game/opening would be "Legalls Mate", I can recall smiling for hours after first viewing it on an old chessmaster.

as seen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thIOHfhsHI4

maybe turn off volume for first look at this, and imagine how you would respond to every move as black position.

This is also known as "legal mate" due to common misspelling.

This is an aggressive "Fried Liver Attack" mentioned in the OP, which I always use against weak players. Over aggressiveness is bad against players of equal skill I have found, but that may just be me. Any Gambit is also aggressive, but again can put you behind in points. I do like aggressive play though. If your opponent uses a gambit, try refusing as this may screw up their "plan", and instead develop another piece to protect your own.

Try to imagine what you would do after each move for full effect.

For longer games the fianchettoed castle position has always been a favorite, but setting up too early may leak what side you intend to castle. It is a great entrenched position.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I use many different openings whenever I play. I do not have a favorite player. I find that by using as many openings that I can the people I play can't pin me down as to what I'm going to do next.

8. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

I don't have a favorite chess opening. My favorite chess player is probably Garry Kasparov.

Some say that Garry Kasparov is best chess player in history, next to the American player Bobby Fischer.

However Wilhelm Steinitz and Emanuel Lasker were probably the best of their time, before computer chess playing engines were even invented.

9. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I am "rusty". I do not know anyone here face to face to play against. I like to move the pawn in the front of my queen out two spaces first. And depending on the game I like moving my knights quickly after I get my pawn in front of the queen moved. I like also trying to save a pawn or two to be changed out to a higher piece if I can help it. I like no single chess piece. But if I had to say carve or make a set to amuse myself I may pick in the order of rook, bishop, knights, pawns, king, then the queen. Might make several types to try different designs.

I learned chess quickly in my 6th grade class. I think the teacher taught american histories. That teacher "Mr D"was a favorite chess player to me because he taught me more than just how to get started. And he encouraged reading lybrary books to learn more about the game. Because he had such limited time. Good school teacher. I used a hand held chess game but it started every move the same and was less forgiving, and predictable. But being so "rusty" as I am I have lost to that crummy thing...

So if you don't play for a while or get really "rusty" do some players lose a edge. A part of what made them such winners?

10. joanne300 Registered Member

Hi,If I was you I would scrub me off your friends list. I have not a clue how to play chess. What happened to the Sicillian. Surely you can incorporate severall moves and intimidate or at least bamboozle the competition. I am looking forward to your caustic reply. Regards Joanne

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

my favorite (barely) opening is the kings pawn one or two squares.
    i'm just as apt to move either of the rook pawns instead, the king side beating out the queen side by a small margin.

i am my favorite chess player.

12. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

that's sad.

13. Gorlitz Iron Man Registered Senior Member

I was quite nerdy in primary school and was actually part of the chess club, we went around playing other schools in competitions and I really enjoyed it but kind of grew out of it when I got to 11 and changed schools. I always liked to play chess but never in competitions since being a kid and I quite like the English opening which is quite apt, queen's bishop's pawn to C4, but favourite player is again Kasparov, he was like the best player and kind of a legend while I was growing up.