Favorite Bible Quotes

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by darksidZz, May 11, 2007.

1. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

From a scriptural point of view, anything:

Mark 11:24
    Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours

Matthew 18:20
    Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.

I cannot believe for one second that there aren't two or three people that haven't asked for world peace, the end of disease etc and yet where are the results of that? gods promise has failed. god has lied.

You Saquist would be hard pressed to show me biblically that only certain prayers would be answered - especially given the above passages. I ask you to try.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saquist Banned Banned

The bible tells us to pray in accordance with God's will at 1 John 5:14

And this is the cofidence that we have toward him, that no matter what it is that we ask according to his will, he hears us.

So we're talking about prayer. Prayer is a provision of communication that God gives to his faithful followers But the scriptures warns us that the unrighteous God does not hear.

So the propper view of prayer is means of communication and we do so in accordance with his will.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

The passage you cited is with relevance to eternal life, (i.e he who has the son has life/he who does not have the son does not have life) - that is what it talks about when it mentions his will and a theists confidence that god sticks to his word. The passage goes on to say that:

"whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him".

This again supports my statements that you can ask for anything and get it and goes against any statement you make implying that you will only receive specific things, (i.e god wont save millions of kids dying of terminal illness but will help you get a job).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saquist Banned Banned

That is correct. It is God's will that mankind gain to repentance. We ask for that purpose to come to pass on the Earth in our prayers as directed by Jesus.

"Your kingdom come your will be done in heaven and also upon the Earth."

Prayer is the only way we communicate to God and we do so through Jesus name. Prayers not recognizing Jesus' contribution to his father's will, God does not hear.

8. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

That is what the passage is trying to imply. 'gods will' is an issue with him only hearing those that 'have the son in them'. In saying, an atheist like myself cannot get my prayers answered - because I do not have the son in me. You on the other hand, as a theist that 'has the son in him' can ask for anything and it will be given because you have the son in you - and that is gods will. He will only hear you if you have fulfilled that requirement.

The passage does not indicate that god will only answer certain prayers, (indeed it states the opposite as I mentioned earlier), but that he will only answer prayers from certain people, (i.e ones that have the son in them). As long as they do he will answer any prayer.

9. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Man the bible sure says alot :shrug:

10. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Any prayers which are in His will, obviously, if two Christians are praying for opposite things, at least one will not be accomodated, understand?

This is where the whole "imagine and create your own reality" New Age b.s. is so hokey, how can conflicting desired realities from two "imagine and creators" both be manifested?

11. Saquist Banned Banned

There are many criterior for prayer. Heart condition, approaching the son, asking for that which is according to his will.

There are also many criterior in the scriptures for prayers he will not answer.
    prayers of the unrighteous ones.
    prayers of those who are not repentent
    prayers that are not in accordance with his will.
    prayers of individuals who are bloodguilty.

12. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

Which is exactly what the authors of the bible did...THEIR intepretation of God and nothing more.

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Well thank you eyewitness news.

14. Saquist Banned Banned

If that were true nova900 then 700 years of distance between authors would have had more effect than the harmony of scriptures that do glorify God and maintain a purpose consitently throughout.
    It is a long book. It requires study and a willingness to be taught. But such is true with all things.

15. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Sermens Notaro 10 30

"And god gave fruit to his children, then said go multiple.. they bred like the animals he had created, and when they finished all his lands were scortched like the desert."

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

jesus
    the kingdom of Heaven is within you

proverbs
    he that is slow to anger is better than the mighty. and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.

job
    the covers of this book are too far apart.

i have lots more that i like,

peace.

17. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

That's not what scripture implies. It states quite clearly that anything they ask for will happen. There is, as I showed, the addition that as long as two or more god followers ask for the same thing it will be done.

From this are we to gather that no more than 1 person has ever asked for the end of disease or war? When it fails you invariably invoke the "yes, no, wait" argument, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6ILZAaAMI), but that goes against the actual biblical text which states that anything will be given if you believe it to be so or two or more agree.

Here is where it always comes down to the theist negating the ability of his god. I thought he could do anything?

You will find that aside from the one you quoted in error, all of them come under "not having the son in you". That is what is being spoken about when it talks of gods will to hear - he will only hear those that have gods son in them - which obviously does not include the blood guilty, unrighteous or unrepentant.

18. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

posted this
    Saquist in turn posted that those two lines were symbolic. why only those two line out of a chapter of 33 lines, so my conclusion must be if those two are symbolic the the rest must be too.
    hence why I posted this
    so are you now going to say that, you can cherry picks scripture and call it what ever you wish, just so it does not contradict, your beliefs.

ok! there a sun in the solar system with your so called faith could you move the sun just a degree or two further away so the earth cools a little then we would not have to worry about global warming..lol no seriously, could you move mount everest in the alps over to the andes, then you would get a hell of a lot of converts.
    oh so your lying, in one breath you say it can be done and cant be done, make up you mind hypocrite.

19. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Geeser, you must be sensitive to the Spirit to understand.

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

-Luke 14:26

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

"At that time the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he went throughout the land of Gilead and Manasseh, including Mizpah in Gilead, and led an army against the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. He said, "If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the LORD the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

So Jephthah led his army against the Ammonites, and the LORD gave him victory...When Jephthah returned home to Mizpah, his daughter – his only child – ran out to meet him, playing on a tambourine and dancing for joy. When he saw her, he tore his clothes in anguish. "My daughter!" he cried out. "My heart is breaking! What a tragedy that you came out to greet me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and cannot take it back."

And she said, "Father, you have made a promise to the LORD. You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites.

But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin." "You may go," Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children.

When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin."

-Judges 11:29-40

22. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

I won't deny I feel the bible does carry a spiritual message or truth. Just that this message is also seen reflected in many other religions as well. This is something many christians will not accept.
    The problem is these messages of love and peace are often over-shadowed by the cultural influences and many times the ignorance or agenda of the people who created their particular religion.

Common sense should tell a person all the contradictions,often cruel and strange,bizarre,hatefull nature attributed to God are nothing more than the corruption of man' influence.
    This is what I believe,the common bond that ties all religions and spirituality together.
    The overall patterns of peoples' near death experiences also seems to confirm this.
    http://www.near-death.com/experiences/research06.html

23. H4rd2bme Guest

I'm new here so Hi everyone (yeah, I know, bleh). Although I'm a scientist, I do not possess the gall to assume that all things are within our understanding and fit within our neat and tidy little framework of understanding. Probably fitting that my first post be something written 2000 years ago. From the book, I like many quotes. Especially ones with intense imagery or poetic.

"I have seen Satan fall from the sky like lightning." - Luke 10

"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a liar from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." John 8

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." John 1

I'm Jon, BTW... TTYS hopefully