fanny mae and freddie mac

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Michael, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I would say that is the best choice for a speaker of English. Like Brazil, it has most every thing China/ Asia needs and is closer than portuguese speaking Brazil, but Brazil does have one big asset they do not - abundant fresh water.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

He took German in school, but forgot everything...may be polish his language...nah?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

tell him to move to NZ insted, they are less hypocritical in policy than we are sadly

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Immediately after shuting computer down to go to bed, I realized that NZ was also a very good choice, especially if you like to eat lamb.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

or wish secure job in shearing sheep.

Also, I do not know, but bet they, like Brazil, have very adequate fresh water supplies - and they produce some great sailors (won the America's cup). Almost sure they were the ones with the little winglets on the tip of the keel -You see them now on the wing tips of all modern air planes. They probably are the only people on Earth who have effectively make greater energy savings that their annual use of oil. Lots to admire about those Kiwi. How is their currency doing? Is is strong and growing stronger like yours and Brazil's? If true, then that shows their economy is strong and growing stronger with good balance of trade. (US's trade deficit of more than 60 billion last month of course shows just the opposite.)

Are the inhabitants there also the children of dumb English criminals, who like your ancestors foolishly chose exile to Australia instead quick and easy death by hanging?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes, in the sense of factual and very scary but slightly inaccurate in the small text I made blue below:

Forbes (not a blog) states: "... we're going to get hit by a true financial and economic earthquake. The earthquake will come via a collapse in the market for U.S. government bonds as domestic and foreign investors realize that the only way Uncle Sam can meet his future spending obligations is to print massive quantities of money. The result will be sky-high inflation and interest rates and, most surely, a prolonged reduction in output and employment.* This could happen today. It could happen tomorrow. But it will happen here just as it has happened in every other country that tried to spend far beyond its ability to pay. ..."

I.e. their timing statement is slightly wrong. I told everyone here, three years ago, that the run on the dollar :bawl: would not start for at least for another 18 days.

As I predicted long ago that run comes in the 6 year time window that opens October 2008 and closes October 2014, but when it "closes" is not important now as it surely will come in the four year term of the next POTUS. (Why I hope McCain wins - the Republicans deserve the credit for it.) McCain is a tough guy. - He can stand the heat and already is starting to correctly blame GWB for the mess the US is in; - He will make sure that GWB is credited with the coming depression. If Obama wins, of course the Republicans will blame him for what GWB made inevitable by record expansion of government, ($5.3 trillion larger government, just last week-end)** doubling the deficit, and needless wars against the wrong enemy, but I understand he could hardly attack the country from which the 9/11 terrorists came, the country that trained them in their youth in "religious schools" to hate America, etc. (Dogs do not bite the hand that feeds them.)

Again I say: GWB should be thrown in Jail for his crime as an un-registered, well-paid, agent of the Saudi Royal family.***
    And not some "country club" jail like Martha Stewart went to. The worst the US has got is too good for George. That would probably be in Texas. - What delicious irony!

----------------
    *That is a euphemism for worst depression ever in US and EU.
    Like Harry Truman, I prefer plain speaking: "prolonged reduction in output and employment" my ass. Tell it like it is. Can't you spell D E P R E S S I O N, Forbes?

**Probably another half trillion expansion of government next week end as Lehman and Washington Mutual get taken over either directly or with govern guarantees to firm that agrees to buy as was done with Bear Sterns. That will bring the total of banks taken over in 2008 to 12 (or 13 if both go under this coming week).

Way to go / grow government George!! Keep up the good work, but remember to call Democrats the "big government party."

***If any violent nuts are reading, PLEASE don't shoot him - He deserves more than that.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    PS: Forbes is a little slow to wake up to reality. Here is sample of what I was saying back in October 2005:
    “…The US economy was once strong but with steady mismanagement has become dependant upon foreign credit, and as the dollar declines, and the debt grows there will be a day of reckoning - the foreigners will not lend more. Some countries have started to lessen their central bank holdings of dollars already - They don't want to get stuck "holding the bag" (of green paper with greatly reduced value.) …”

Read more (especially about Republican / GWB’s ineffective “trickle down” stimulus theories)* at:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=894452&postcount=3
    ---------------
    *As recently noted, putting more money in the hands of the already wealthy, just fueled the boom in the BRICs as they used it to build factories and create jobs in China, etc. while closing US factories. All it did was increase the US debt and promote out-sourcing of jobs.

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Billy, all pundits that try to predict the future are charlatans.
    If they knew what was going to happen, they wouldn't be writing it in newspapers, they would be making Billions on the stock exchange.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Only if they claim they can. Few actually do that, US fraud laws being what they are. They only suggest they have by selectively citing their past predictions that turned out to be correct.

I once thought of making a private Email news letter, sent free to 128 rich people that told 64 of them that some "high beta" stock would soar and to the other 64 that it would crash. My next newletter, sent when that stock made a major move went free only to 64 rich people and 32 of them were advised another similar stock would soar, and 32 that it would crash. Repeated this again with 16 getting the "soar" and 16 getting the "crash" versions.

Then to all 16 of my "three time correct winners" my next news letter would say:

You know know by now that my secrete stock filter system can pick big winners. The most recent use of it to filter potential buys has turned up the highest ever "buy rated" stock for rapid gain. It is too hot to just give away for free, but I will Email you the name of that stock for only $100 if you act within 24 hours of this Email. I will not ask for your charge card number. FedEx letter your check to PO box xxx, at ...

Do not delay as many of my clinets will not and their buys will drive up the price. Please to be fair to others: do not buy more than $50,000 worth. This is a special "one-time" introductory offer. After you win big on this one, the normal price ($250) will apply.

Say I get 50% suckers ($800 sent to me) - Then 4 get the "soar" and and 4 the "crash" message. Then two only get each message. Then only the one lucky sucker.

When all done I get $800 + $1000 + $500 + $250, at least once for total of at least $2,550 or net profit after $150 for the internet service and PO box rental of $2,400 or more if my last sucker wins and repeats.

No one knows what will happen short term - that is what makes it interesting. I have a remakable record if predicting on several year time scale as I do, but still make mistakes. My main error is to be a few years early and need to sit on a static return until others understand and see what I foresaw.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Have you seen the latest Bloomberg video interview with Greenspan Billy?

He swears up and down that NO ONE can predict a financial crisis...being unexpected by their very nature.

If you are right you will have proven him wrong...by a gaping three year margin!

12. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Finally I get to hear what I didnt hear from Paulson, who spoke recently for 15 minutes on the Frannie/Freddie crisis, and didnt say ONE word about WHY it happened...and what can be done to prevent another debacle in the future.

Roubini spells it out....self-regulation is NO regulation!!!

Check out his excellent video on Bloomberg.com

13. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

Billy T,
    No, Billy, Forbes did not state that. It was an excerpt from a book by Laurence Kotlitoff. Kotlitoff has been predicting the US would go bankrupt for several years because of Social Security and Medicare payments collected by the "baby boomers". He has been advocating privatizing Social Security and issuing "health insurance vouchers" for citizens, along with a "Fair Tax" policy mostly reliant on retail sales taxes. Sound familiar?

14. skywalker 3 @ T M 3 Registered Senior Member

I lost effing 300 bucks on their stocks. I am not selling, hoping to recover my 300 bucks.

15. skywalker 3 @ T M 3 Registered Senior Member

but we WILL NOT stop spending 10 billion a year in wars and now we want a war with Iran also. What are these people thinking? or no thinking? Some one please tell them JESUS will not come no matter how many wars they start.:bugeye:

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Share tip.
    If Sarah and John get in, put your money into arms and reconstruction companies.

17. BlueMoose Guest

I think this is pretty interesting side note. I was watching yesterday our (Finland) news, and there was it, the same thing that happened here in Finland what I´ve mentioned here before,major bank crisis, then Government comes to rescue by forming "garbage bank" (I dont know the right term yet, but thats how it was called here), and that bank handle all the mess created. What was interesting is that US handlers of the issue are asking direct help from us via information exchange, how did we handle it and how it all went, but wait, the real punchline was the last sentence of that news anchor, he implied that first contacts over the issue had been made in spring. ? .

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  18. BlueMoose Guest

And this was it...

Finnish economists recall when their banking system collapsed in the early 1990s, writes Derek Scally in Helsinki

PUSHING OPEN the heavy wooden door of the Bank of Finland, a hulking Russian-German architectural landmark in downtown Helsinki, it's hard to imagine that these austere halls once echoed with the sound of economic panic.

Yet, in 1991, Finland was hit by a crisis that shook the foundations of its banking system and forced a state takeover of the leading savings bank. By far the most severe of a wave of Nordic banking crises, the Bank of Finland's rescue plan cost the taxpayer some 8 per cent of GDP and left a legacy of thousands of bankruptcies.

Finnish experts say that there was no classic recipe for their banking crisis. It boiled down to a mixture of bad luck, bad policies and bad banking.

Today's Ireland is very different from the Finland of 1991, yet warning bells begin to sound when veterans of the Finnish crisis recount their experiences - like their description of the Finnish credit bubble of the late 1980s, inflated by a new era of easy money where, as one analyst puts it, "euphoria supplanted risk analysis".

"There was no proper understanding of risk management in Finnish banks then," said Pertti Pylkkönen, senior economist at the financial stability division of the Bank of Finland. "I'm sure Irish banks have much more modern supervisory systems now, don't they?"

To believe the financial experts of the time, the Finnish banking crisis came from nowhere. The country had enjoyed a decade of steady economic growth thanks to strong exports to western Europe and lucrative bilateral trade agreements with the Soviet Union, exchanging expensive Finnish goods for relatively cheap Soviet oil."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/0912/1221138433311.html

19. BlueMoose Guest

And this is how it was on then...

The Finnish - and international - financial markets have been under enormous pressure for change in recent years.
    In the European Union, increasing progress has been made at integrating the financial markets. This progress have been abetted since the mid-1990s by harmonisation of financial legislation, dismantlement of regulation, new financial products, and technological progress. Cross-border trade in financial services has begun to surge, albeit growth rates differ for the various sectors. Introduction of the euro - first as account money, with notes and coins added at the start of 2002 - has spurred integration. Competition has tightened, while the borders between different sectors - banking, securities markets, insurance - have narrowed.

Progress in integration, new products, technological progress, and sector crossovers have fomented considerably pressure for change in financial and insurance legislation and supervision. For the banking sector, cross-border supervision of financial institutions presents a huge challenge.

Investors and those in need of financing benefit from tighter competition because financial services become more diversified, quality improves, and prices fall. From the perspective of the Finish investor, the euro has brought a manifold increase in investment outlets free of exchange rate risk, which has facilitated the spreading of risks. In recent years, foreign investors have become much more active in the Finnish financial markets, due to the liquidity of Finnish debt instruments and availability of financing.

The structure of the Finnish banking sector has changed substantially, partly as a result of the banking crisis of the early 1990s and subsequent integration and technological advancement. The changes have been significant also in the insurance sector, and Finland has experienced the creation of ‘financial conglomerates’ that produce and sell a wide variety of financial services.

The financial infrastructure, ie payment and settlement systems and exchanges, has also been in a continual process of change since the mid-1990s. Finland’s membership in the European System of Central Banks and introduction of the euro have accelerated the restructuring as well as technological progress.
    http://www.bof.fi/en/julkaisut/selvitykset_ja_raportit/yleistajuiset_selvitykset/2003/a_105.htm

20. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I lost on paper more than $35,000 in one day last week*, but your $300 was probably of greater concern to you than my 35K was to me. My US shares are mainly in already high risk early stage drug developers (I figure the rich will always find some way to pay for the medicine they need and I like to follow the amazing advances now taking place in this area.) or ADRs for protection against the dollar collapse. When the underlying foreign company's stock goes down (They are now as desperate for cash American firms with big profits are cashing in now, driving all the BRIC ADRs down) I get "doubly hit" in dollar value as the dollar is now gaining strength, but mark my words, it will lose big time soon, with all the new ones being printed.
    ------------------
    *That was only in the account I actively manage (46 stocks now). I probably lost more in my static account at Vanguard, but did not look. My main retirement assets in US are all in TIPs at TIAA/CREF. - They probably went up, but also did not bother to look.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008