Famous Atheist now believes in God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by lightgigantic, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Satyr Banned Banned

Exactly!

And, of course, finding theories to explain perceivable phenomena is the same as finding excuses to explain unperceivable phenomena.

For example, it is the same if I come up with a theory to explain a vase on my table by using other vases and other tables and my knowledge of vase making and vase makers, as it is to explain a vase by invoking a mysterious, unseen, magical power.

Thanks Sciforums

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Silly girl. All science has are theories. Science doesn't prove anything, all it does is disprove things.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Megan Registered Member

Thank you for proving my point, Satyr. Roman, did I say that science proved anything? No. I'm saying that people often try to use it to prove closed-minded points, like Satyr. He makes his own lame assumptions and tries to pass them off as scientific proof.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

if you had read the article, it states that he does not believe in an afterlife.

so, exactly what bets were being hedged?

8. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

satyr is a rockin' scientist.

he has a PhD in Funkatronics.

9. Satyr Banned Banned

A theory is a....."fact"?
    You got me.

It does?
    News to me.
    I just talked about a vase….

It must have been written in a spiritual scientific journal.

If you understood the why, then you wouldn’t be so retarded….now would you?

The Devil Inside
    I’m going for a doctorate in Bullshit now.
    I have the nose for it.

10. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i did my master's thesis in Bullshittery on republican foreign policy.

11. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I don't doubt that when I am on deaths bed, i will therefor suspend critical thought. I can't really say, it's stupid to say that there are no atheists in foxholes, but my point is, even if I embrace the popular notion of God, it proves fuck all. I would only then become guilty of embracing a comforting and popular delusion in a time of uncertanty. I may be a hypocrite, but I find comfort in there being no god/afterlife, but I do consider those two things to be infinitely more likely than those two things existing in the first place.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'll wager the horrors of war made many people turn away from their religion.

13. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

To Hell With You

I cant type in all caps... I feel this unfairly rules out a legitimiate use of caps...

14. Roman Banned Banned

TO HELL WITH YOU.

just make sure to include lowercase letters.

15. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

To Hell With You

See? Is this proof of Gods wrath

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. sderenzi Banned Banned

Are you all stupid, he's 81 and so old his mind has left him. Of course he'd believe in god now, he'll believe anything so long as it comforts him in some way before he dies!

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Isn't that why people believe in god now ...for comfort? And most of 'em aren't old and ready to die, either.

If I were to find comfort in believing that there were little green men on Mercury, why would you want to denigrate me for it? I mean, I can understand you not believing in it yourself, but why call me stupid, ignorant, etc for my beliefs in the little green men. Especially if I find comfort in it.

Baron Max

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, maybe. But I'd also think that the horrors of war made many people turn to their religion and beliefs for comfort and understanding.

So .....what's "...many people..." mean?

Baron Max

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

he.
    doesnt.
    believe.
    in.
    an.
    afterlife.

his age or health is apparently not a motivating factor.

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Well to address the general gunfire that has been directed in my direction

- Yes I am aware that Flew doesn't adopt any particular faith

- It doesn't appear that he is getting sentimental at the approach of death since he firmly thinks there is no after life

Why I thought the article is notable is because here we have a firmly convinced atheist who has reconsidered his notion that the universe is bereft of intelligent design - and that frankly is the limit of this theistic inclinations.

To quote him

"My whole life has been guided by the principle of Plato's Socrates: Follow the evidence, wherever it leads."

Its just a challenge to the idea commonly held by atheists that ID is following in the wake of a type of faithful fervour

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Hmm... so an atheist converted to believing in God...

I'm sure that never happens the other way around.

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I'm wondering, LG, if we should all make much ado about nothing?

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Well I just posted that he didn't really convert to anything - the point is that he changed his notions of universal existence to include ID - and he did this according to his rational analysis of the situation -

So yes that could happen the other way around - but my point was that the common held claim by atheists hat ID is a response to self manifesting religious fervour is not the case here