Family Guy... who watches this bullshit?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by mountainhare, Jul 13, 2007.

1. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I love Family Guy, I think you have to have a certain type of humor to find Family Guy funny. If you don't get it you probably don't like the show. That's the thing with comedy you can't get everyone to laugh. Like popular comedies such as The Office or Friends, I don't really find funny, but many people do.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Or, you've grown beyond 'pottie' humor.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The British Office is better. Rick Gervais ftw! Friends is/was mindless.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

thus you don't get it, right? :bugeye:

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

It doesn't really criticise Fox except one notable scene, but other than that, you're right.

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

On FOX!.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

Its absoloutly fantastic, nothing better than sitting down with a few tipsy mates and having a good ole laugh at family guy!!

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

That and you do have to be fairly intelligent and knowledgeable about society in order to get it and even laugh.
    Seth (the show's creator) makes quite a bit of 70s and especially 80s references; sometimes they are very discreet.
    You also have to have an open mind. If you have thin skin and get butt hurt like a little bitch fairly easily, you won't like FG.

Funny thing is, I'd consider myself on the conservative side of the fence too.

12. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Yeah 50 years from now a show like family guy will make very little since, but even though you may not get the exact reference some of the skits are funny enough without you understanding the whole story behind it.

13. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

But it is an added bonus if you happen to be as big a pop-culture nerd as Seth McFarlane is (and as those on his writing team are). Family Guy is so much more than toilet humour, but that's all people seem to focus on.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LMFAO!

little bitches get butt hurt. Oh, I know what kind of bitches you're talkin about now. Totally explains why your not interested in women.

15. draqon Banned Banned

When I get dumb enough...like I really start hating this world and myself and all...family guy really helps me deal with life.

16. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Wow. Yet again you are coming after me with women/dating crap....and in a non women/dating crap thread this time.
    How about you save that and resurrect one of the several women/dating/sex threads we have out there instead of hijacking this one?
    Damn, it's like you're almost glutton for getting outwitted on a message forum or something.

I'm a huge 80s pop culture nerd. Allow me to list the 80s references that I have seen on the show:

-Great Space Coaster
    -Stewie trying to call Lois by dialing 867-5309, then swearing at Tommy Tutone
    -Tron
    -Back to the Future
    -Family Ties
    -A Team
    -Knight Rider
    -the Kool Aid man
    -Stewie quoting Bill Paxton from Aliens..."Game over, man! Game over!"
    There are a shit ton of others, but I can't recall them at the moment.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh Mike. You are so thin skinned. I didn't mean to butt hurt you so bad.

I myself prefer South Park. I think it is smarter.

18. superstring01 Moderator

It is indeed pottie humor. But "grow beyond"? That sounds a bit Victorian and elitist. As if--pish-posh--we should all look down our noses with scorn at those things which don't rise to our own arbitrarily selected levels. It's humor. The vast majority of humor makes fun of someone or something. "Family Guy" is the most basic variety of humor and relies on the most basic premise of jokes: "The sudden introduction of a conflicting frame of reference." It's not the potti-ness that gets old after a while, though, it's the recycling of it's three or four formulae.

I consider myself to be pretty damned sophisticated, but I can still enjoy a spell-or-two of "Drawn Together", "South Park" and "Family Guy" (though, I definitely prefer "American Dad" a bit less ribald and slightly more my taste). Just the same, I can enjoy the slightly more "high-brow" humor of "30 Rock" & "Scrubs" and the really, really high-brow humor of some British shows. Enoying one, or more, does not necessarily exclude enjoyment of the others.

~String

19. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I always enjoy your well put together statements string. And this is no different.
    You nailed it on the head above but allow me to add.
    FG is potty humor, but it's very sophisticated potty humor. No less than a comedic genius could put all those clips together like that. The manner in which they portray the subjects they are making fun of is also fairly creative.
    SP and DT are the same way.

You mentioned American Dad. Have you noticed that FG and AD almost parallel The Simpsons and Futurama?
    Simpsons is the mainstream show whereas Futurama is the less known bastard child of Matt Groening, but no less hilarious. I think Futurama is a bit more vulgar and brash than the Simpsons. And I wish Matt would bring it back already!
    You can kiss my shiny metal ass!!! -Bender

20. superstring01 Moderator

I'm a huge fan of "Futurama". IMHO, it's the best animated series of all time. Bar none. The best episode being, "The Problem With Popplers" (granted, I watched it years ago on various subtances, but it holds up well even when sober) and "Where No Fan Has Gone Before".

Back to the 80's humor. I love that stuff. I watch the show with my boyfriend (who is 12 years younger than me) and he just scratches his head while I laugh uncontrollably.

~String

21. superstring01 Moderator

Oh yeah, Groenig has kinda' brought back "Futurama" straight to DVD. They've all pretty much sucked, much to my great dismay. I think that trying to put a 30-minute program into a two-hour movie just loses something. The premises must fit into 30 minutes or it just drags on and on to long.

~String

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

There's one episode of Futurama where they were all at a cocktail party. Bender goes up to the bar and there is a robot bartender with a 'fro.
    The robot's name is iZac.
    If you are not of a certain age, and arent' familiar with a certain late 70s hour long show, you would never get that reference.

23. superstring01 Moderator

Yeah... that one escaped me!

~String