Faith vs Reason

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by UncleChrist, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

You bet. For example, it is true that you will fart today; however, that knowledge holds utterly no value and usefulness to me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

Wes would thourghly enjoy this topic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Myles Registered Senior Member

Newsflash,

Here is an announcement from our sponsor, God.

The lake of fire is nothing like as bad asa man called Adstar makes it out to be. Once the skin cells have been destroyed and with them the nerve endings, pain will no longer be felt. It will be justa warm , cosy glow.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Personally I don't think humans can "know" anything. Ever. Not with the small and very limited minds we have. We can never know anything. We don't know with 100% surety that gravity exists, we don't know with 100% surety that an apple will fall everytime we drop it, we don't know with 100% surety that the sun is a giant ball of fire; we just "think" all of those things are true.

I also don't think humans could really ever believe anything with 100% belief. I don't think it's possible. We can generally "think" something is true, but we can never believe it true with 100% faith. That includes global warming, economic theories, and the existence of a god or gods. No one believes anything 100%. We can think that we believe something 100%, but we really don't.

So we can't "know" or "believe" anything with 100% surety. Any objections?

8. Myles Registered Senior Member

You don't think that humans can know anything. So how do you know that if. like the rest of us you cannot know anything ?

9. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Good point, I really don't know if we don't know anything. But just because we don't know something doesn't mean it still can't be true or that there isn't any truth. There must be truth out there. If anything exists, then the statement "Something exists" must be true. Since "we" or at least our minds definitely exist (Cartesian theory or something?) then truth must exist as well.

10. UncleChrist Another Imaginary Friend Registered Senior Member

Agreed NDS... I'm 99% sure you don't know anything

Apparently it wants to spend eternity with the most irrational naive fools on the planet.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/Delusion.html

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Doesn't seem like much of a "clever" filtering process to an entity that need not do any filtering or have any process given that he is supposedly omniscient. The whole 'filtering' nonsense is nothing but pointless idiocy.

12. Adstar Valued Senior Member

So be it. You have read and declared God to be evil. You have made your free willed judgement. And you in turn will be judged for this judgement you have made.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

13. Adstar Valued Senior Member

The criteria is Gods will.

Of cource that is what i just been saying. But something cannot be good and evil at the same time from the view of God. Therefore let each one embrace what He loves and reject what He hates. God will make the truth clear to all when He deems the time to be right.

No doubt about it. Yes they think the Message of the Gospel is evil and blasphemy, there is no "could be" about it, they indeed do hate the message of the gospel. And it is there free willed and heart felt decision to do so.

In the end we will find out who has love truth and who has loved evil. me, i am very confident of the truth of the Love of the Messiah Jesus. Others are confident in other teachings. So be it.

14. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Who or what gives you the authority to make that claim????

15. Adstar Valued Senior Member

I can make whatever claim i feel lead to make old boy. You can make whatever claim you feel like making too. Accept what you will. Reject what you will. But stop being a pathetic winger, whining about other people making claims.

16. Yorda Registered Senior Member

from the view of the real god, good and evil are the same thing. two sides of one coin. otherwise he wouldn't have created evil, like he said he did, in the bible.

we see good and evil because we separated from god. the oneness was separated into yin and yang.

17. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Oh. So its not like you have a DIRECT line from god substantiating your claims. OK

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i agree with you yorda. everything god has created is good and has a good purpose in his will, even evil. and there is a time and a place for everything.

19. Myles Registered Senior Member

I think I see where you are coming from. Descartes practised what he called the methodod doubt. His idea was that he would doubt everything, including his own existence, till he found something that could not be doubted. This turned out to be his Cogito ergo sum, I think, therefore I am. He was only entitled to claim " there is thinking" but let's not split hairs.

From the "cogito" he proceeded to build an argument for god's existence, Descartes' argument was demolished by David Hume, and Kant. Descartes " proof"of god's existence has been rejected by all major philosophers.

Descartes did a lot of highly esteemed work in science and mathematics. If you have ever drawn a graph you will be familiar with Cartesian co-ordinates.

Truth exists in some sense but problems arise as to what is true,. We can say the earth is round; we know it to be true because we have evidence. God's existance cannot be proved . It is nothing more than a personal belief that lacks empirical evidence.

What I have said does not prove that god does not exist. There is no way that can be proved. But if one insists on empirical evidence to inform one's beliefs , then it's irrational to believe in god

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  20. UncleChrist Another Imaginary Friend Registered Senior Member

One might think that the above post from Truechristian is a prank
    But .........
    I talk face to face with people this brain dead way to often
    :bugeye:

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think science and religion or sprituality are basicly opposite ends of the same string. Both attempt to look into the face of God.

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

Before looking into anyone's face you have to be satisfied he exists. So, how do you support your statement ?

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Both science and spirtuality seek knowledge of truth. Early in our history, religion and science were the same. Only in recent years have the two diverged...history 101. Who were the first astronomers, priests. Who were the first scientists, priests. Who were the keepers of knowledge in the Dark Ages, priests. Who were the first medical experts, priests.