Extreme religious views

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Apr 13, 2009.

?

Are my religious views extreme?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Some other opinion

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. draqon Banned Banned

number 4 is extreme in my POV

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Oh, and to answer your direct question, I don't think many of your views - either religious or political - are very extremist at all. I think sometimes you fall off the deep end with idealism - needing everything to be fixed at once before one piece is fixed at a time - and you tend to see matters as completely black and white, but you're rarely extreme. It's a folly of youth and immaturity, and one I'm guilty of myself, so I try not to be too rude about it, but I often fail.

I think your methods are much more extreme than your beliefs. I think you've either been unable to learn how to effectively debate, convince people and bridge issues, or you've either willfully scorned these avenues. It's not unusual for someone who feels their voice is never listened to to resort to more harsh methods, but it rarely ever works. Half of the time I'm angry with you, Sam, it's because I agree with you and I wish you'd stop making my side look bad. One thing I've learned more about in China is how to be diplomatic, how to be an ambassador for an idea. I'm very surprised that as a foreigner living in another country you haven't picked up this same trait. Though, among the ex-patriots I know there are only two camps; those who come to terms with diplomacy and realize it's intrinsic value, and those that walk around with a huge chip on their shoulder and a phenomenal ego.

You avoid direct response, rarely address posts point by point, and you almost never admit someone was right, or at least had a good point. Though I should say I've seen you do that last one a bit more often recently.

You come across as an extremist when, in actual fact, your views are often quite reasonable, or at the very worst, too idealistic*. I think you have a sort of love affair with being viewed as an extremist. I think you enjoy the attention and the fuss caused over you. (I was once harassed by the secret police...I understand how much fun it can be to see yourself as a threat to the establishment; a fighter.) Much of the time, I think you'd rather be hated than listened to; hearing people who you think are wrong call you an extremist or an idiot or a monster gives you a sense of satisfaction; if these monsters are calling you a monster, then you must be on the right path. The problem is that the right path isn't so much about if you the individual can win the moral argument in your own head, it's about whether or not you can bring people along with you for the ride.

Edit to add: *I should say, there have been times when I've thought you actually might be a full-on anti-semite (in the anti-jew sense). There are times you come across as deeply hateful. But I've caught myself speaking about the Chinese in the same way before - mostly in my own head, mind you - when really deep down I'm not hateful. So I try to assume that you're the same way. The biggest problem I have with you is that I don't think you try to improve your methods. A teacher I work with recently got some bad reviews from a school we work with that has equally bad teachers. His response was to think that the bad reviews came from such inept people that they shouldn't be listened to at all. This was deeply immature and has only come back to hurt him. The proper response would be to listen and realize that even if he's not doing a bad job, other people are seeing him as doing a bad job. So something has to change. I think you have the same problem my colleague does. You get hatred spewed out at you, and instead of thinking to yourself that there might be a better tactic, you double down on the one you're already pushing.

You have fine opinions. Your methods aren't so helpful.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its more appropriately termed the right to offend. I've been told that its the cornerstone of free speech. Strangely enough, it doesn't seem to work so well when its reciprocated. While people are quite willing to extend it, they seem not too willing to accept it.

And as you have surmised, the underlying views are quite...reasonable.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Not extreme..

Not extreme

Not extreme
    Not extreme

You ok, SAM?? Can't write further comment, I am a bit busy at the moment

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hey SAM, do you think you can find the time to answer any of my posts ?

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So it was a social experiment all this time ?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a stupid question. The answer is, none.

Not at all. It was assimilation.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It is not a stupid question at all, at least not according to hordes of theists.

So you say atheists go to heaven ?

Same difference..

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Probably, but they don't believe it

Is it? An experiment has results. What results do you see here?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But doesn't the bible, koran, whatever say that atheists are not welcome in heaven ?

You are using arguments the 'opposition' uses to see if they will disagree with them. If they disagree they are hypocrites.. and you get to be right.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Probably, but they don't believe it.

I already know they will disagree and are hypocrites.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Does it matter what they believe ?
    I'm asking what you think about it. Do you think atheists will get into heaven ?

So why are you using this method ? Seems you get nothing out of it besides harassment..

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't care?

Assimilation.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Fine, what does your religion say about it ? And do you believe what it says about it ?

If you can't beat them, join them ?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't care?

The only way to find out how people think and why is to use their logic.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh come on SAM, you must have an opinion on it. And I'm dying to hear it.. humor me, please

Hmm I seriously doubt that.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No.

It works, try it.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why not ? Why won't you tell me your opinion on it ?

No, it doesn't. For instance, you have no clue how it is to be an atheist.

You still don't know how people derived the logic they are using. Just adopting their logic won't tell you much about their thought patterns.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I do, actually. You just stop thinking things through and voila!

The easiest explanation = the right explanation.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wrong, and Occam's doesn't work like that.
    This is bigotry.