"Explosive residue"?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Portland cleric no longer linked to TNT, lawyer says (Yahoo)

Portland cleric no longer linked to TNT, lawyer says (Seattle Times)
    Commentary:

I just thought this story was worth mentioning. I keep hearing about various arrests on the news, but the vindication of innocent victims of the War on Terror gets cursory mention at best. Generally, I don't even see these stories on TV, even in the ticker. I generally find out about the release of an arrested "terror suspect" through the news wires online. And I rarely, if ever, hear about it on CNN, MSNBC, FOX, or otherwise. (Of course, there's also a fraud count of some sort, so I don't think he's released just yet.)

At the moment, I'm looking for some information on what constitutes "explosive residue". I know that some dogs are trained to sniff for specific chemicals in drugs or explosives, and not necessarily the drugs or explosives themselves. There were, for instance, early reports from the Eunice Stone brouhaha that the dogs had identified "explosive residue" in a car. Of course, these were med students, so there are a number of chemicals that can be used in explosives that they may have come in contact with at a medical facility. And now a man testifies that out of "hundreds" of bags tested, only this Muslim cleric's tested positive for explosives. My question is very simple: what constitutes "explosive residue"?

Notes on bombs: 8. Any high explosive residue detected can now be explained as part of a dog sniffing test, heart medicine, or troop uniform contamination. (It's hardly the best source for that information, but all I wanted was affirmation that I'm not crazy in wondering about this.

Aside from that there are, of course, social issues to argue, but I figure to leave that for everybody else.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!