Expanding space?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by kaneda, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

Ironic...

I was thinking the same thing about you, unless how you had forgotten you accepted my apology, and we got on fine afterwards...? Of course, by now i have proven my knowledge and capability (hopefully), in the area of physics. Maybe then we could be neutral with each other, and except that I invited Kaneda here. Therefore, I won't allow it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's no problem at all for me. Suit yourself - that's exactly what I do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"To your own self be true."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

And keep thy friends close...

As i said, i invited Kaneda here, so please leviate the same respect you give me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yorda Registered Senior Member

maybe the universe is expanding only temporarily, for a couple of million years, and then it starts to go back. like the distance between the moon and the earth... it's increasing 3.8 cm every year. and the distance between the earth and the sun is also increasing.

i think some kind of magnetic repulsion causes the speed/distance to increase... but the distance can't increase forever... soon the magnetic attraction will start pulling everything back. that's why the earth year was once 360 days (and lower) and now it's 365. everything expands, then it contracts... the universe breathes.

8. Reiku Banned Banned

''like the distance between the moon and the earth... it's increasing 3.8 cm every year. and the distance between the earth and the sun is also increasing''

The distance between earth and the Sun are not getting closer or further away. I am not sure were you have heard this my friend.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

Though, i've heard this about the moon.. Where the angular momentum is added to the Moon's orbit. And this moves the Moon to a higher orbit with a longer epoch, and creates a 3.8 cm yearly increase in the distance between the two bodies.

(But could you provide some link to varying distance between the Earth and the Sun)...?

10. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Read-Only. What have I done with my life? I've earned good money for decades and retired on a good company pension at 53. Since then, I spend 3 months in winter in Asia. 3 weeks from today, I will be on a plane to Bangkok. I also have trips to Hong Kong and Singapore booked from there. BTW, I live in a large house in rural France.

So, what have you done with your life? Spent years boring people with things you wish you had done probably. You seem to be very bitter from your posts here. A wasted life I suspect.

11. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Reiku. Don't worry about me. Worry about Read-Only. Can't you see he's running scared? Text book quoters have very poor minds. Get them off of the text book and they are helpless, like a fish out of water. Feel sorry for Read-Only, because that is all he can do.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  12. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

shalayka. The equation assumes that gravity is exactly the same on all scales, over all distances. we have no proof of that. If it is not we may be able to do away with dark matter.

I think we see very little of what is in the universe and that between the galaxies, there is lots and lots of dust in the huge spaces there, some from the creation of the universe, creation of solar systems, from stars, from around black holes, etc.

By the way, the Killer Clowns will be paying you a visit later.

13. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

shalayka. I am not convinced the universe is expanding. I certainly don't think it is infinitely old but I am presently toying with another method of creation which does not involve a BB expansion but which would create a universe with ever new creation moving away from a set point "like a fire".

14. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Yorda. The idea is that only between groups of galaxies and such is the universe expanding but actual galaxies and everything inside them is held together by "local gravity".

The Moon was a lot nearer the Earth at one time but has drifted away over billions of years and continues to do so at an ever increasing pace.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

I am sure he has wasted his life, but that shouldn't mean he should drag us down with him. He has made three personal attacks to me yesterday, so i challenged his methogologies and yet he hasn't even apologized or even replied.

Oooff... I don't know... Pure ignorance i suppose.

16. Reiku Banned Banned

I think i can visualize what you are saying...

17. ranthi Registered Member

An expanding universe is only a theory. Just because things are observably moving away from us doesnt mean that the result is an expansion of the universe. put two objects on a piece of paper...1 stationary. move the other object away from the first. does that mean the paper is expanding?

unless you have found the edge of the universe on all sides, there is no way to tell if the observed motion of the celestial bodies away from us is the universe expanding.

18. ranthi Registered Member

did I also mention that it also seems to me that if you wanted to find the center of the universe, why couldnt you take a sample of (dont have to measure all of them) stars/galaxies/whatever you want in the sky's velocities and directions and extrapolate an approximate center...if not atleast an approximate direction of where the center of the universe might be. this is assuming you agree with the big bang expanding universe theory. it would also come to mind that if all observable objects in space are moving away then wouldnt the center be somewhere in our galaxy and if not, then if an object (presumably galaxy or star or solar system or whatnot) is moving closer then we arent the center but eventually the object will collide with us. just some thoughts.

19. shalayka Cows are special too. Registered Senior Member

I believe that in a perfectly balanced universe, as it nearly is, it has been calculated that anyone traveling out into the universe will eventually return back to the origin. An orbit of sorts.

There is definitely information about this in Einstein's own book, Relativity: The Special and the General Theory. Free on Project Gutenberg.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  20. ranthi Registered Member

You know, I am relatively "no pun intended" open minded so I could potentially see this as a possibility. It goes back to another post I read on here that talks about arc of revolution and how from our perspective it could be a straight line. Like if you look out onto the horizon. I like the idea..but lack the knowledge and well..the resources..to do any sort of meaningfull observable or mathematical experiments. I will have to give this some thought on how it can be...well...how it CAN be...:bugeye:

21. ranthi Registered Member

just another thought.

wouldnt the current age of the universe potentially be twice the age of the furthest away observable object? this is of course assuming the object is moving away and has not been destroyed for whatever reason? so if the furthest observable object is 13 billion years then the age of the universe as it stands now would be 26 billion years..theoretically.

22. shalayka Cows are special too. Registered Senior Member

By the "basic" tenets of general relativity (GR) and the Friedmann equations. The tensors, they are on fire. I'm sure that MIT OpenCourseWare has at least one course syllabus related to general relativity. Have you read the Relativity book by Einstein?

Simply looking through Gravitation by Misner, Thorne, Wheeler is illuminating.

I'm kidding about it being basic. GR really has a distinct kind of operational complexity that is as intimidating as it is cool. I work on simple scenarios, and that makes me happy heh.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  23. ranthi Registered Member

well, Im not real big on theoretical physics. Im a believer that just because something can be mathematically proven doesnt necessarily mean it IS proven. I like reading up on some of it but I am more of what is/is not observable..

for instance..time dilation has been proven WITH it having the math to back it up AND with it having observable results. on the other hand if you travel away from the earth for a year at or near the speed of light, you wont come back to earth heavier than when you started...although yes..everyone you knew will be alot older. not sure if Im making myself clear enough..sorry..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!