Evolution illustrated first-hand (Science)

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by GeoffP, Jun 19, 2008.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hmm.. Source is subscription. You're going to demand I post the whole article, aren't you snif?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Is it the one about the changes observed in the mosquitos in the London underground and those above ground?

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1365-2540.1999.00412.x

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sniffy Banned Banned

No I read recently about observed evolutionary changes in mosquitos but stupidly didn't write down the reference. It was an extract from a book actually but then I lost the paper it was in and couldn't remember the book title (doh!). Anyway it must be based on the original scientific research so I was hoping that somebody here would have a reference.

8. Bells Staff Member

The link I posted above and the following link basically discuss what you were asking about.

http://www.gene.ch/gentech/1998/Jul-Sep/msg00188.html

9. sniffy Banned Banned

Yes it's good but I want MORE!! Now give me the title of the book I seek? I demand it. It had a photo of a mossy on the front, er and a flower I think

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And this should be in biology.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Bells,

I wonder if they are morphologically different as well, nothing beats a proof the involves pulling out a hideous underground mutant and comparing to its relatively normal sunshine counterpart.

Hear that SAM, move it!

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Sorry I'm proxying through my universities account. See if you can find a public version of:

Laboratory Experiments on Speciation: What Have We Learned in 40 Years?
    William R. Rice, Ellen E. Hostert
    Evolution, Vol. 47, No. 6 (Dec., 1993), pp. 1637-1653
    Publisher: Society for the Study of Evolution

13. John99 Banned Banned

Perhaps i missed something. Did the bacteria turn into a mouse?

You see, unless it is some change along those lines the of course it is evolution just not in the way some people here are claiming. I would say it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Evolution:

# development: a process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage); "the development of ...
    # (biology) the sequence of events involved in the evolutionary development of a species or taxonomic group of organisms

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

All off topic discussion deleted. Please keep the discussion about Biology

15. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Apparently this is off topic, for some reason, but maybe it will stay up long enough to be read:
    It was "some change along those lines". It was a dramatic evolutionary split into a different kind of bacterium. Sort of like turning into a different kind of insect, one that could eat much different food.

16. John99 Banned Banned

That is where we disagree. I cannot see why you would say there was change "along those lines".

To be clear, I am not discounting the importance of research on bacteria. They will continue to hold many mysteries to us and are significant to unlocking the secrets of life. Bacteria=the building blocks of life.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  17. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

What the paper described is the evolution of a novel trait. Observed macroevolution, so to say, though in the realms of prokaryotes the borders between macro and microevolution are even fuzzier than normal. In principle in a few human lifetimes, with the good design even maybe shorter) one could observe speciation in bacteria. However to see transition as big as from prokaryote to eukaryote (not to mention something as complex as a mouse) would be almost impossible. If the phylogenetic analyses are correct this transition only happened once up until now in the billion years of evolution.

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the move back to B&G.