Evolution belief in America

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by James R, Sep 12, 2007.

?

What do you believe?

Poll closed Oct 12, 2007.
  1. God created humans pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years.

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Human beings evolved from less advanced forms of life, with God helping or guiding the process.

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Human beings evolved from less advanced forms of life, and God played no part in the process.

36 vote(s)
    70.6%
  4. No opinion.

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The only radioactivity I have worked with is capturing [sup]14[/sup]CO[sub]2[/sub] in oxidation reactions. I would have to read up on it to offer an opinion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I've never worked with it either, but I think I could have a great deal of faith in its accuracy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well I used to feel the same way about epidemiology, after studying the methods, I've changed the way I think about it. So I would like to at least first look at what the absolute position is before I venture an opinion. I know it is based on half-life and radioactive decay, but only in a general sort of way.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Eric's are borderline - he has widespread Christian church backing, but not proportionately. McVeigh's are not Christian at all, either in claim or in evidence, AFAIK. The Aum group's claims and supporting institutions I don't know.

The Muslims who oppose the teaching of evolutionary theory in Turkey - and who are also to be found in other Islamic countries - are numerous, specifically cite Islamic religious grounds, and have lots of serious support among the orthodox Muslims and Islamic clergy. They have mosques, clergy, and overtly claimed religious basis for their positions. How are their positions not "Islamic" positions?

Is this approach also the one you would take with regard to other fields - such as physics and chemistry?

Or does your level of ignorance have more influence in some fields than in others?

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I think you'll find few instances where decay rates vary much. I think I'll repeat James' question. Do you consider the world as being of recent origin (say, 5000 years or so) or in fact several billions of years old?

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It has always been the case that most scientists do irrelevant or silly research. I'm afraid that all 'progress' [sic] is dependent on a few who think. (not me)

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Contradiction is your forte. We didn't just step off the turnip truck yesterday, sam.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I already answered that.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

lol S.A.M, why are you parrying and evading every question like a pro fencer?.

peace.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You could answer them if your opinions are already crystallised.

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

my opinions are like science, they constantly change and are not set in stone. but at this present time my opinions are that we evolved from lesser life-forms, there is no telling if god had a part to play or not due to lack of observation and evidence.

the earths age is very old indeed, far older than islam, christians or jews believe. the human race is also far more ancient than most religious people would like to believe.

regardless if carbon dating is flawed or not, we can conclude that human civilisation alone is older than the bible or quran say it is.

if you are muslim then wouldent your opinions reside in the region of wich it states in the quran?, or do you pick and choose which parts hold truth?.

peace.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Can you tell me where I said anything different from what you just said?

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

the fact that you are a muslim and i am not religious holds a key difference in opinion. if you truley believe the same as what i believe, then you are not a follower of islam.

peace.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why?

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

because a follower of islam would never say "as far as i am concerned god had no part to play due to lack of observation or evidence".

islam requires a faith my opinions do not.

peace.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats not what you said:
    I would phrase that as "we do not know what part God plays in that due to lack of knowledge"
    http://understanding-islam.com/related/text.asp?type=question&qid=255

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

thats not what the books of islam say, they state god had a direct role in the creation of earth and mankind. wich if you follow islam must be your opinion also. unless you are going against the holy teachings of islam.

peace.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And where did I say he did not?

However, what part he played is not known from the verses in the Quran and unless you have some knowledge of the nature of God, I fail to see how you make such assumptions.

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

right there.

peace.