Everything About Telescopes

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Tristan, May 10, 2003.

1. Arch_Rival Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

3D Image of moon.
    Use your red/green colour filters. Green for right eye, red for left.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anomalous Banned Banned

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. chucknews Registered Member

Hi - I just bought my second telescope (the first one probably shouldn't count) - it was more of a toy 20 years ago. The new one I bought is the "Orion Spaceprobe 130 EQ". I still consider myself a beginner and I took a stab in the dark and bought it through Amazon. Unfortunately it's still in the middle of a somewhat cold winter in Detroit and I'm not planning to use it until the spring - if anyone has experiance with this scope I'd like to hear about it - it's not too late to take it back.

Chuck
    The Planets

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The EQ-2 mount provided with the Orion Spaceprobe should be replaced with at least an EQ-3 or you can always consider building a dobsonian mount for it later. Aside from that you have a gem of scope for the price. Collimation will be important especially when you get it the first time. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, you may consider taking apart, cleaning out and re-greasing the focuser with white lithium, or perhaps replacing it with a better one. Focusers should always work well, but Synta falls short of the mark here. You may also consider getting a 2X barlow if you don't have one already - Orion makes a decent shorty barlow.

Enjoy the scope and welcome!

8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Hello Q
    I have decided to take up star gazing, what do you reccomend for a complete beginner?

as in telescopes that is

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  9. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

a little larger than I was hoping for

anything smaller?

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Hey Q, how about recomending a good telescope for a beginner?

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Lets' hear it?

12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

which has the best light bucket?

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

First, YOU have to decide is what you're planning to view. All beginners should start with a star chart and a decent pair of binoculars, then learn the sky.

14. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

M31 would be a good place to start, but if the binoc cost the same as the scopes, I am better with scope yes? Good binocs that is.

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Do you have the standard denks or the denk II? I currently have the Burgess setup that I use primarily with my PST, but find it unsuitable for my dob. It works ok with my ED80, but I think I'll eventually upgrade to the BigEasy denks.

Brilliant! I like the idea, but the problem will be with resolution of the CCD and the price, I suspect. Can you produce a decent set of those and still get good resolution for a reasonable price?

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No, you will never get a scope and all the accessories you'll need for the price of a decent set of binoculars. You are much better off with them.

You can start out with spending a few hundred dollars for good binoculars but will have to invest many hundreds for the equivalent view through a scope.

17. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

On the subject of good ideas, is there a facility for getting a sky map created of the particular sky view above where you actually live? Makes sense? enter your post code.......and............has it been done and if so where do I get one?

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Again, brilliant! I want a set of those!

I'm not a big fan of CMOS imagers but if you get around to doing some imaging with it, please post the results here. Do you use RegiStax?

19. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

20. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

How much would you need to borrow, you can advertise for investors.
    I am advertising shortly for something to invest in. There are people out there similarly looking for things to invest in, cash and no ideas or time to commit themselves to a project. Meanwhile isn't it bit risky psoting ALL your info on public forum, what if someone takes your idea? Until its a working model the 'idea' is not protected, you need to make demo and patent pronto.

21. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

22. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I know someone who knows someone who could make it. They make the special effects gizmo's in tv, all the great techno stuff. My bf and I have idea for him (lads toy) we came up with recently. How popular do you think this idea would be, I AM new to this don't forget.

23. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

That star chart looks very nice.

Would like something kid friendly one too. I use marbles presently to show them the planets which are better than they sound! Grabs their little imaginations. They may be the space ship drivers of tomorrow so need to get them an early interest.