Everyday anomalies

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by Magical Realist, Mar 20, 2023.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Natural scavengers. Birds. Foxes. That kind of thing. Unless, of course, somebody is trying to fake alien experiments.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Got my blood drawn yesterday for a thyroid check. I asked the nurse if it's really true that veins move around to avoid getting stuck. She said yes that they had a lady's vein move out of the way when she inserted the needle. She said the entire body is conscious! Fascinating!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

C C likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

And then she said 'Pull the other one, it has bells on it!'?

Pinball1970, James R and Kristoffer like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

The veins obviously do not move and are not able to, they are embedded within other structures, fatty tissue skeletal muscle and skin.

It would be very dangerous if structures like these were to move around.

The blood pressure in the veins is lower than the arteries so has thinner walls, veins have valves to prevent backflow.

They also have smooth muscle that helps the blood flow , this will be small localized movement but not movement of the whole structure.

The idea veins are “conscious” somehow is complete nonsense.

8. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Not sure this is strictly true. Most organs in the body are held in place by membranes that allow for some relative movement. Things tend to be able to slide over one another to some degree. But the notion of a vein sensing the approach of a needle and spontaneously moving to avoid it is pretty daft.

DaveC426913 likes this.
  9. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Collagenous tissue holds these things in place. Not completely immovable like nuts and bolts, it's flesh after all, wiggle room.
    Tunica externum was mentioned on one Search.
    Veins or other vessels can't just move around freely. It would mess with blood pressure.

10. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Nothing like medical humor to still not quite dull or distract from the piercing sensation.
    _

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Nice try. I asked her this after she had already taken my blood.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. Front line workers know to humour the weirdos - smile, agree and get away.

Easy on the eyes you may be, but "veins move around to avoid getting stuck" def will have set off her warning flare.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
  13. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I've been called a "hard stick" or a "turnip" many times. But no nurse has ever claimed my veins moved.

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

15. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

It does not mean that these important structures are moving around freely at the sight of a needle. This really is stupid nonsense.

16. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Sure. But they need to have a fair degree of freedom to slide within and between contracting muscle groups, for instance, or they would tear.

17. foghorn Valued Senior Member

OMG Entire?? Clipping my toenails is murder?

DaveC426913 likes this.
  18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

19. foghorn Valued Senior Member

20. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The internet is rife with these kinds of fake videos. They're privately made and uploaded to private social media, just like any other bid for likes.

22. gmilam Valued Senior Member

It seems to me that a curious person would stick something in between the ice pieces to see what is holding them together. Very simple experiment that the poster did not do. I suspect it is because they could see the hair running through the icicle.

23. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Ooh! Good one.