Event Horizon - the other side

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by ThazzarBaal, Aug 1, 2023.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Again:
    Are you playing games?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Intentional move to exit poster in play. I'll be leaving now. Thank you for your hospitality.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

OK.

I think the thread stands as a primer on facts about astrophysics versus pseudoscience and magical thinking. If it stays that way, no need to have to moved to somewhere away from sharp objects.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I think that’s a good idea. If you want to discuss science, feel free to return.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

ThazzarBaal:
    First, here's what I know:

Our current models of black holes suggest that anything that falls into a black hole must move to the centre of the hole. In the process, that thing will be stretched and crushed, eventually having the very atoms it is made of ripped asunder. In other words, nothing goes "through" a black hole.

We don't know what happens at the centre of a black hole. If there's a tunnel to a "new world, new sun" etc., then it's a very tiny tunnel, and we're not sure whether it would be possible for anything to actually go through the tunnel to the "other side".

What do I like to think about black holes? I like to think that, one day, we'll have a nice theory of quantum gravity that will fill in some gaps in our current knowledge of black holes. In the meantime, I don't really give myself to flights of fancy about tunnels to other universes and so on. As far as I'm aware, there's no reason to believe any such thing exists, so all such speculation becomes pure fantasy.

It can be fun to invent stories. The magical tunnel to another world is a very common trope in fantasy and science fiction. At the moment, black holes provide an appropriately mysterious mechanism for such fantasies in science fiction stories, but it probably won't always be like this.

Pinball1970 likes this.