elder scrolls: oblivion

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by The Devil Inside, Mar 23, 2006.

?

rate oblivion!

1. 1

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 9

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. 10

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  11. 11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 12

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  13. 13

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  14. 14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 15

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  16. 16

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  17. 17

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  18. 18

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  19. 19

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  20. 20

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

my lady doesnt mind me playing videogames, as it gives her time to study.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i used to split most of my free time between sci and an oblivion but i cut back time on both of hem at the moment

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

LOL, I just tried the demo yesterday....I saw a guard standing around who hadn't noticed me, and I thought "Hmmm, I wonder", and proceeded to run up behind him and boot him off the cliff. Hilarious stuff.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i did the exact same thing.
    to the tee.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I found when testing the 360 version that it was very slow in comparison to the PC. The main reason for this is the PC is only constrained by how much harddrive space you have and how much RAM you have available. I was even running it on a system below minimum specs (the RAM and HDD space was above minimum, just the CPU being 1.8Ghz)

The 360 version doesn't use HDD cacheing, so it loads directly from the disc. The problem with that is that it takes a while to read from the disc and of course the 360 tends to heat the disc up an awful lot. It made it horrible to actually move between different areas of the world as it would constanty stall for a loading screen.

Expect the 360 version to take many more hours than those using a PC for that reason.

9. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i had the same issue with morrowind on the regular xbox.

10. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Just started Oblivion on the 360 and it's so far so good. It's a bit daunting though, the huge world to explore and I'm such a noob to games like this!
    I'm hoping that it's a case of the more time I put in the more fun I get out.
    I know there are loads of guides and hints on the web, but I wondered if anyone on sciforums has a basic rule that I should follow, or a clever tip for starting out in the game?

11. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

buy a horse

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

You could attempt to do the objectives on a region basis, however there is no "Flow control" on the objectives themselves, which means some of the objectives will take you to neighbouring regions.

As thedevilreject suggested buy a horse to go exploring, as once you've found locations on the map you can then get to them quicker with or without a horse.

I'd also suggest learning lockpick spells, unless you want to get nifty with lockpicks.

13. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

or as i did buy scroll and duplicate
    -----------
    also only buy the cheapest house in the game, it will help as you get a place to stay

14. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

The engine used for Oblivion was really inefficient. It was the same with the Morrowind engine....I was hoping that they had fixed the whole occlusion culling thing and the collision detection, but they didn't. That was one of the more disappointing things about Oblivion.

15. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

whenever i would create a new morrowind character, i would go into balmora, and go into "sneak mode" in a particular corner of the giant courtyard. it was in the shadows, and there was a guy standing in the middle of the yard. i would put a rubberband on the controller to make me walk into a wall, and then turn my monitor off and go to bed.

when i woke up, i would have a maxed stealth skill (by far the most useful skill in that game, in my opinion)
    im not sure if this would work in Oblivion, though.

16. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

LOL! Great idea, I'm sure there must be similar 'cheats' for Oblivion.
    I'm really getting into it now, cheers for the tips.

17. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

there are loads, the duplication cheat, the infinate money cheat etc...

18. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

cheating is for losers, it breaks the fun of any type of game

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i was just doing something in morrowind that i would be doing anyhow...however, i was bypassing the 6 hours it would take (and time in which my girlfriend would get angry for me staring at a videogame), and getting into the meat of the game, without alot of crappy distractions.

there were "cheats" in that game though....like permanently raising stats and such.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yea, I also rose stats in such a way, in that time instead reading a book or something.
    Mindless repetition is boring.

21. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i wouldnt call them cheats, more glitches in the game that could be exploited

22. Tnerb Banned Banned

i just got oblivion and the concept seems interesting, sort of like Animal Crossing for the GC.... only oblivion is much more dark and boring. i haven't got that far, though.

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I'm busy working my way through Morrowind now.

Cheating makes games boring. Why would you want to do that?