Eintstein Is Wrong!!!!!! Read!!!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by PeteBoise, Jul 29, 2004.

1. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Pete,
    The quote you may have been looking for was Einstein's rather than Hawking's, but Hawking put it in one of his books.
    It was something like:
    If you can't explain your theory to your grandmother you don't fully understand it yourself.
    If I remember, I will look it up when I get home and let you know.

As for your idea...
    Try rewording it in a completely different way and use different analogies, maybe that will help explaining it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Here it is...

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein

Is that the one you were talking about?
    Hawking quoted him in either "The Universe in a Nutshell" or "A Brief History of time"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Einstein backed up his theories with mathmatical equations and early 1900's solar eclipse experiments also confirmed his theories on gravity's influence on light. Show us some of your equations and how they relate to your new gravity theory!

Yob Atta

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MewSkitty Sciforums.com sucks! Registered Senior Member

Your theory on how gravity is easly explained and it has nothing in it that would seem stupid (I was planing on using another word but I forgot how to spell it) because why wouldn't the mass try to take up space equal to it's mass so it would have to increase it's gravitational power as it get's dencer but due to the redised area the mass takes up the gravity would reach out the same distance but would become stronger in the areas that it reaches.

8. PeteBoise Registered Member

Thats basically how my idea works, I'm glad someone could grasp the concept without having to put math behind it. Maybe you and I think more abstract then most of the people here

So many theories that are accepted begin with an assumption and not all have math to coincide.

9. blackholesun Registered Senior Member

Your "idea" wouldn't account for gravitational lensing; a concept that is well known from observation.

So many theories that are accepted begin with an assumption and not all have math to coincide.

That's true how?

10. Brandon9000 Registered Senior Member

In Physics, the word "theory" is applied to something that has been proven. The word "hypothesis" applies to unproven work. Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity has been verified by experiment over and over for a century (99 years, actually). I have forgotten most of what I once knew about General Relativity, but I believe that it has considerable experimental verification too.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

12. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Teacher: Good morning everyone, I'm Bob Brown and I'm your physics lecturer this semester.
    Excellent(?) Student: Really? Bob Brown? I'll need 100 points of ID before I accept that...

13. PeteBoise Registered Member

I don's see how gravitational lensing would not work with my idea. The matter is still pushing in from outside of a galaxy. That would cause it to push the light or bend it to create a duplicate image. If I'm correct that's gravitational lensing. Right? Creating another image on the otherside of the galaxy because of it's massive gravitational pull.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, for I am not a scientist.

14. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Maybe Einstein had already thought about your gravity concept but dismissed it because it was too simple and he couldn't figure out an appropriate mathmatical equation to satisfy the theory.........Inother words,
    just maybe he figured it (your new gravity theory) couldn't cut the mustard as they say!

Yob Atta

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh!! :bugeye:
    You know what I meant, don't you?

16. PeteBoise Registered Member

PETE,
    Come on you can do better than that. Tell me your just trying to be a smart ass.. I hope :bugeye:

NORMAN,
    Sometimes things are just.........that simple. Like I said earlier, people sometimes try to make so much of something, so not so much and lots of people often follow

Truthseeker,
    I like you........
    You seem like a good person with an open mind. Don't let these people change you..... To conform is never good and I can tell you haven't

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well... in some things it is hard to change..... :/
    But what did you mean?

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I know what you said. If you meant something different, perhaps you should have said it.

A smartass student will question (almost) every single thing.
    A drone student will accept everything teacher says.
    An excellent student develop skills to decide what is worth questioning and what isn't.

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes. But what you said sounded interesting. Well... nevrmind. Maybe it was I that misunderstood you...

20. Roman Banned Banned

Your analogy of invisible "matter" "pushing" objects (such as me) into other objects (like the earth) to explain gravity has me caught up in one problem: If the matter is rushing to the earth, where does it go after it hits the earth? If you follow Newtonian laws, your invisible matter would bounce off the earth, essentially nullifying its force towards the earth (equal/opposite forces and so forth).
    Or is the matter rushing in absorbed? In that case, would the earth reach saturation and eventually become non-gravitational? If the earth has no saturation limit-supposing that I have the correct understanding of your hypothesis-then where is all your matter coming from? Is there an infinite amount of this matter? Would we be able to harness it for energy, since it is matter (matter is energy), and it is a force (forces have energy when matter is involved).

Maybe I'm not imagining this correctly, but I think you haven't explained this very well. Sit down, right it out and have someone revise it for you, because I have to struggle through your posts. Fix spelling and grammar issues, please. I'm not attacking you, I just don't want something as petty as language to come between me understanding your ideas.

21. PeteBoise Registered Member

Roman,
    Good questions...

It is absorbed I'm quite sure and will it reach saturation? I assume so, but know one really knows the life of a planet. We could speculate...
    I think a better example is a star though. A supernova.. Without going into too much detail and assuming you know the process of a supernova the increase in pressure from an object so dense and massive would of course have more of this "matter" wanting to occupy and causing more gravity. Thus, over many, many, many.... years, It(the star) would eventually lose the battle over the occupied space. The matter would cause the core to collapse and with the explosion the matter would be spat out to end another star's life. I think eventually we might be able to harness it for energy. I believe right now that there is an infinite amount of this matter until someone finds the end of the universe.

I believe that looking at our universe as an organism or life form is a better way to see it. Everything we know in nature has cycles, beginnings and ends. Everything is used and reused. I can tell you I don't beleive in this TimeSpaceString...BS. The further science goes, the more I read, more and more scientist, theorist are starting to doubt these old ideas. Maybe some are afraid of change, I think yes.
    Hope that answered some of the questions. I do appreciate your questions Roman they made me think. Please ask me more.

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Tell you what kid, instead of prose, how about some equations?

23. Phrank Registered Member

Umm hi this is my first post here and i was just reading PeteBoise's interesting idea, I do'nt claim to know a great deal about physics and you guys really are an unforgiving crew but here it goes anyway. PeteBoise what about zero point energy could gravity simply be "pressure" from zero point energy in the vacuum between atoms or particles. I have trouble believing the gravity mechanism in that it acts to pull remote objects but have yet to come up with a new theory to stand the world of physics on it's head so to speak!.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004