Effects of Cosmic Rays

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Kumar, May 18, 2004.

1. blackholesun Registered Senior Member

I guess I don't know what you mean in your previous posting.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kumar Registered Senior Member

blackholesun,

Don't you understand the above quote poted by me previously?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. blackholesun Registered Senior Member

Well when I read it closer I get it a little better idea of what you are saying. You are saying that some religious systems look at cosmic rays as a sort of religious effect right?

Here is an interesting fact. In orbit around earth, shuttle astronauts, and also the Apollo moon astronauts would report seeing flashes of light as a cosmic ray would impact their eyes and would give off a flash of photons from the impact. In space the chances of interaction increase as there are now a larger number of heavy ions and cosmic rays passing through an astronauts body due to the fact that the earth isn't there to stop a good deal of them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kumar Registered Senior Member

blackholesun, But I have mentioned for 'humans living on earth'.

8. blackholesun Registered Senior Member

I know. I was doing a little comparative example of exposure.

9. Kumar Registered Senior Member

OK, Can we now conclude that we do/can not get any cosmic effect(except sun light),practically, on earth of any type as mentioned in various spritual sayings & energy healing systems & if any of this effect on us is there, that can only be due to 'within our body's changes' only?

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I reckon that fairly well sums it up, yes. Although, now and again, the odd cosmic ray will cause a mutation or electronic malfunction - just not routinely, or commonly.

11. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Now, if we do/can not get any cosmic effect(except sun light), practically, on earth of any type as mentioned in various spritual sayings & energy healing systems & if any of this effect on us is there, that can only be due to 'within our body's changes' only then what/how can be due to 'within our body's changes'? Can we related it to " Cephalic Phase Effect"?

12. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

No.
    Basically, Cosmic rays are bad news. They are so high in energy they can pass through you harmlessly; but if one hits a vital piece of genetic material- the result can be irreversible damage.
    We are protected to a certain extent by the Earth's magnetic field, much more by the bulk of the Earth itself; but these high energy photons will be a distinct danger to any long term efforts in space.
    They don't have any mystical or philosophical benefits at all; unless it is to imprison ordinary humans on Earth.

13. Kumar Registered Senior Member

But at their current level they are not effecting us, practically. It was discussed above.

Btw, how these cosmic rays or high energy photons are so high in energy?

14. blackholesun Registered Senior Member

That's easy enough. Astronomical events that produce high energy radiation and ions. Gamma ray bursters (blackholes colliding, neutron stars colliding, massive supernovi), typical sized supernovi...basically things that release a great deal of energy in a destructive astrophysical process.

15. Kumar Registered Senior Member

blackholesun,

But how these particles can be more energized/powerful than sunlight on earth? When these charged particles come towards the earth--are these furthur become more energized/charged due to velocity & resistances?

16. blackholesun Registered Senior Member

No they start off that way. The sun is really just a lightweight in the universe. It's output doesn't accelerate ions or release the amound of energy like that of a supernova or neutron star collision. Even accretion rings around medium sized black holes make the sun look weak. All these events are unimaginably powerful. And being that far away doesn't matter. There's nothing to slow down the ions that are thrown off at 75% the speed of light in some cases. And cosmic ray bursts travel at light speed anyhow.

17. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

The Sun generates light and other radiation ina steady nuclear reaction at a temperature of about 15 million Kelvins. The sort of extreme astronomical events to which Blackholesun referred involve much higher energy levels - in the core of a supernova, where a new neutron star is formed, temperatures can become become almost incalculable...

Gravitational potential energy is calculated as GMm / r, where M & m are the masses of two attracting bodies. In the case of a collapsing stellar core, which contracts under its own gravity, this becomes GM^2 / r.

If the core mass is, for example, 1.4 Solar masses (the radius of a 1.4 Solar-mass neutron star is around 12 km):

Energy released = 6.673x10^-11 x (1.4 x 1.989x10^30)^2 / 12000
    = 4.2815 x 10^46 joules.

The amount of energy radiated by the Sun every second is "only"
    3.862 x 10^26 joules - and that is from a reacting stellar core much larger than the Earth. The supernova's one-off blast of energy is released from a region only 24 km across.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It follows, then, that the photons and neutrinos generated in the supernova will be SO energetic that Solar photons and neutrinos hardly seem worthy of mention in the same sentence.

18. Kumar Registered Senior Member

blackholesun, Starthane Xyzth,

Thanks for explainations.Cosmic-ray particles that arrive at the top of the Earth's atmosphere are termed primaries; their collisions with atmospheric nuclei give rise to secondaries.
    When we say cosmic rays practically with no effect on humans on earth, do we mean both primaries & secondaries or just primaries?

19. blackholesun Registered Senior Member

The impacts mostly create mesons (harmless) and elemental byproducts of hitting the upper atmosphere's gasses. Those rarely get down to the earth's surface so there is no point in worrying what effects there may be.

20. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Can you please explain it bit more?

21. Zarkov Banned Banned

>> Can you tell me what are the biological effects of cosmic rays/radiations on humans on earth?

On Earth little problems.

Apparently astronauts in Earth obit can close their eyes and see bright flashes.. cosmic rays passing into their eyeballs.

I expect this would eventually cause blindness (as well as other biological changes to the rest of the body)

All in all NOT GOOD

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Thanks for talking so much about me!

23. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Well, let's just say that exposure to unfiltered cosmic rays in space would definitely not empower you to become invisible, stretch your body like putty, or turn into living flame at will... it just might gain you compensation for personal injuries at work, though.