Drunks vs Stoners

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Orleander, May 30, 2009.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Notice the word: more.
    Intelligence and Stoner are not two words I'd usually put together.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think it's more down to a persons personality whether or not they will do illegal stuff while drunk/stoned.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Just because someone partakes, in no way whatsoever means they are unintelligent.

In case you forgot, Carl Sagan smoked pot regularly.

And you are right Enmos. Drugs don't make the person stupid, the person was already stupid before they ever started taking drugs.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

I have noticed over the past 40 years , the ones who are down on pot.. tend to use the "N" word..coincidence ??

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm aware that there are some intelligent people that smoke pot. But, in my experience, pot smokers (especially heavy users) are better represented by Cheech and Chong than Carl Sagan. There's also the issue of pot being fat soluble and so building up in your body. Check out this quote on the subject from grasscity.com. Also note the highlighted admission of memory loss among marijuana users.:
    Hey all, I remember reading somewhere that the human body has a "reverse tolerance" to THC. I can't remember (hehehe typical) where I read it, but it was a reputable source. They said as it builds up in your system, it takes you less to get high. I don't mean when you're smoking from the same bag for a while and you don't feel as stoned, that's you just getting bored of smoking the same shit and maybe some degradation of the THC over time.
    I mean how many times have people told you they didn't get stoned the first time they smoked? I've heard it a lot, and this would explain why.
    And after 12+ years of smoking on and off, I don't need to smoke a big bambu joint to get ripped. 2 or 3 tokes and I'm good.
    What's your opinion?
    http://forum.grasscity.com/seasoned-tokers/2440-reverse-tolerance-thc.html
    And a list of adverse effects of pot smoking:

What are the common side effects of marijuana use?
    The following are some of the common side effects of using marijuana:

* Trouble remembering things
    * Slowed reaction time
    * Difficulty concentrating
    * Sleepiness
    * Anxiety
    * Paranoia (feeling that people are "out to get you")
    * Altered time perception
    * Red, bloodshot eyes

Using marijuana for a long time makes some people lose interest in school, work, relationships and other activities. It may also cause legal problems. Using marijuana can be especially dangerous in certain situations, such as when you are driving, because your reaction time is slower. This make it more difficult to react to a dangerous situation, which could cause an accident.
    http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/addictions/drugs/485.html
    Note that impaired driving is specifically mentioned. Now is pot or alcohol safer to use while driving? How about we just drive sober?

PS I'm in favor of the legalization of pot. You should be allowed to do whatever you want to yourself.

9. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

The following are some of the common side effects of using marijuana:

* Trouble remembering things
    * Slowed reaction time
    * Difficulty concentrating
    * Sleepiness
    * Anxiety
    * Paranoia (feeling that people are "out to get you")
    * Altered time perception
    * Red, bloodshot eyes

sounds a good deal like the normal signs of aging

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

WTHell??? Munchies didn't make the list of side-effects???

11. wise acre Registered Senior Member

Sounds like
    stress
    work
    early parts of relationships
    break ups
    PTSD
    insomnia

12. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Not USUALLY.

Many a mind succumbs to the stoner stereotype and thus fit the form.

Tolkien (LOTR) did weed I'm sure of it!

Even Nikola Tesla smoked weed on occasion. (Just Kidding, most likely not)

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

95% of the potheads I've known are successful engineers, attorneys, computer programmers, psychologists and teachers, with a couple of artists, craftsmen and musicians in the mix.

They say it really does knock a few points off of their IQ--and for that reason they seriously don't recommend it to people don't have a few IQ points to spare--and the result is less dominance by their left brain hemisphere and an ability to get in touch with their creative side for a few hours. It may not turn a mechanical engineer into a virtuoso guitarist, but it's a little field trip into a life he can't access when sober. And some people do become virtuosos. I've known a couple of musicians who played their best and wrote their best songs stoned.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

0% of the potheads I know are. Mainly cuz here they do drug tests for jobs.

15. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

They pretty much do drug testing for every job...across the whole U.S.
    Here are some of my friends who partake and what they do:
    -one does body work and paints......airliner jets for Embraer
    -one is a computer programmer for HP (six figure salary)
    -one is a salesman for Dell (server/network...six figure salary)
    -one is a LAN/desktop/laptop/network support technician like myself
    -cousin is a successful heavy equipment operator (excavator, bulldozer)
    -coworker who is over all our telecom (Rockwell/Cisco VOIP) system

Concerning drug tests, they are easy to get around if you partake.
    1. just abstain for 3-4 weeks and go in genuinely clean. Once you're cleared, go spark up a bowl.
    2. you can substitute (or cheat). Just use someone else's who is clean, and smuggle it in. No one ever looks over your shoulder.
    I know plenty of guys who do 'substitute' to pass piss test.
    But how can that be? Stoners are supposed to be too lazy and stupid to come up with innovative ideas like that.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think there is a difference between someone who is a stoner and someone who smokes now and then. Kinda like someone who drinks once in a while and an alcoholic.

I don't know of any stoners who have those jobs. I know I wouldn't want a stoner or alcoholic to drive my child's school bus

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Well, you've obviously met a much higher class of potheads than I. Most stoners I know live in their parent's basement and work at Arby's.

18. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

That's the thing mad, the stoners you know would probably still be living in their parents' basement and working at Arbys if MJ never even existed.

I'm not saying pot doesn't make you unmotivated, but I'm tired of hearing people use it as an excuse. In the words of Stan Marsh: Marijuana just makes you not feel so bad about doing nothing. That's all. Hahahaha
    I'll toke up and go mow the lawn. I'll toke up and go change the oil in my car. I'll toke up then go ride my mountain bike off 8 foot drops (and land them).

If you're that (lazy/worthless/lethargic) when you're high, chances are you're that way sober.

19. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

none of them , they both shouldnt drive while stoned or drunk

20. grimace Banned Banned

i dont think there is any question that it DOES make a person lethargic.

21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Finally! A thread where I can be considered resident board expert! There is no question about it. Alcohol impairs people much more than weed. With alcohol, the more you drink, the more intoxicated you become. With weed, it's a little different. Even smoking the most potent of weed, you reach a point where you can only get so high and don't get any higher. Alcohol majorly affects your motor skills, where weed only has a very slight affect on them. Alcohol seriously impairs your judgement, where weed only gives you the munchies and makes you laugh at stupid shit.

I can't count the number of things I've done under the influence of alcohol that truly regret. I really can't think of one thing I've done stoned, that I really wish I could take back.

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I will not argue with you one bit there. That's one of the reasons I do toke up every now and then; to relax and not do anything.
    But on the flipside, while it does make me uber relaxed, that doesnt' mean I'm paralyzed and physically unable to do anything.

23. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Remember this line from Gallagher?
    Do NOT smoke dope when you're stoned. You won't get any higher, just lower on dope.

:roflmao: