Drugging Children

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Atom, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Atom Registered Senior Member

A mere 15 years ago the term ADHD was virtually non-existent. Nowadays in the USA nearly 50% of children are diagnosed with it.

Autism was unheard of in my childhood, nowadays there is hardly a School in the country which doesn't have at least one sufferer of Autism or Aspergers.

Dyslexia wasn't an option during the early 1980's yet know its a widespread condition.

Am I correct in thinking that science is labelling children into pigeonholes in order that they can be drugged by highly lucrative drug companies. Science is the new religion...everyone must conform to their strict regulations. Slowly but surely they are turning children into automatons that can easily be manipulated by drugs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

No, you aren't correct. Since I was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago, I'm inclined to disagree with that statement.

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=6893852

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Many years ago children weren't diagnosed with those disorders and there weren't many MEDICATIONS to alliviate the problems. Today we take our children more to the doctors and they now can diagnose these conditions and treat them with MEDICATIONS to help them.

I would think that by finding more of these children and helping them, if that is what the MEDICATIONS do, then this is advancement in overcoming those afflictions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, are you saying that you want nothing to do with science?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Science is realizing the existence of actual conditions. It could be that drug companies are trying to take advantage of the situation, but that doesn't mean that these aren't real conditions. I have Aspergers, but I never needed to take anything for it. Still, I would have appreciated some acknowledgement of my particular difficulties.

9. Kadark Banned Banned

Abso-fucking-lutely. That is completely correct, Mr. spidergoat. Science is sincere, but the drug companies see it as a way to make millions of dollars.

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

has a mother with two ADHD/ADD children i can gaurantee you that MEDICATIONS like:

Trade Name Generic Name Approved Age
    Adderall® Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine 3 and older
    Adderall XR® Amphetamine-dextroamphetamine extended release 6 and older
    Concerta® Methylphenidate extended release

6 and older
    Daytrana® Methylphenidate patch 6 and older
    Desoxyn® Methamphetamine 6 and older
    Dexedrine® Dextroamphetamine 3 and older
    Dextrostat® Dextroamphetamine 3 and older
    Focalin® Dexmethylphenidate 6 and older
    Focalin XR® Dexmethylphenidate extended release 6 and older
    Metadate® ER Methylphenidate extended release 6 and older
    Metadate® CD Methylphenidate extended release

6 and older
    Methylin® Methylphenidate chewable tablets and oral solution 6 and older
    Ritalin® Methylphenidate 6 and older
    Ritalin® SR Methylphenidate extended release

6 and older
    Ritalin® LA Methylphenidate extended release 6 and older
    Vyvanse™ Lisdexamfetamine 6 and older

do indeed work, ok i agree that some children will not take to other types like some children can, for example my children could not take,

concerta xl and ritalin, they are on Straterra and my other son is on equasym and straterra.

i dont think that children are mis - diagnosed, not to the extent that people seem to think they are, becasue these medications are very costly and it wouldnt be worth the dr's slapping these drugs down the kids necks. it takes months to successfully diagnose a child with ADHD/ADD, and only a specialy trained dr can do it. not your every day dr who quite frankly doesnt have much training with ADHD/ADD.

and has for Dyslexia it was common in the 70's when i was just 6 i was told that i have that condition and i have word blindness.

it seems more common now because people are aware and caring enough to do somthing about the illnesses. ADHD/ADD is real, just has cancer is real!!

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i would like to know though, how many people who knock children with ADHD/ADD if they were told they're children have the condition will they put them on medication or try and treat it by diet!!??

12. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

They only need a little THC, not all the artifical drugs they currently give them.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

In the natural world, animals that can't make it, can't survive without special help, simply die or are killed off by predators. In that way, the diseased animals don't breed and pass on the error.

In humans, we've helped such diseased, abnormal people and, worse, we've allowed them to breed. Thus, in just the past few decades, all such abnormalities have not only increased, but thru taxes, we're all having to pay for the mistakes/abnormalities ....and helping them to breed, too.

Baron Max

14. Atom Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know what are the long terms prospects for children who are put on such drugs. Do they have to take them forever?

I'm v.sympathetic actually..I have a cousin who was given Prozac, aged 8 onwards. He was very bright but overly restless..as far as I know he is still on Prozac. He seems okay but left numerous Uni courses and has had different jobs...it would be interesting to know how he would be without taking 3 tabs of Prozac a day.

Maybe he would be worse or maybe just more odd and eccentric (but also successful?)...its hard to say.

What happened in the thousands of years prior to these diagnoses..maybe people were more individualistic and less ruled by a scientific prescription that they had to subscribe to some homogeneity.

15. Atom Registered Senior Member

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'd try both.
    My son's best friend has ADHD. My brother has ADD. And I think my husband has it. I have to write him notes/lists or nothing gets done. He goes off on a tangent and totally forgets.

It helps when you live in a small town. Everyone knows the child since preschool and children that small don't judge. When you spend fives days with them, 9 mths out of the year, its like they were a brother/sister. You get protective adn new kids aren't allowed to mess with them.

We have 8 yr old boy (Alija) that roams town on his bike. He's never paying attention. He pulls out in front of cars, rides across your yard...but its just how he is, so we watch out for him.

In my day, my brother and husband were a trouble makers. Now we know better.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yep, go to the Dr, they draw blood, and we lose our children. I'd rather they were on no meds creating hell for me than lose them.

You have kids?

18. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

:bugeye:

Are you saying that I'm a doubter because I don't believe that ADHD is a myth??
    I guess what Lucifer's Angel posted doesn't register with you very well, does it?
    As for taking months to find the right meds, she is spot on. Strattera didn't work for me, nor did Wellbutrin, but Daytrana, which is what I'm on now, works peachy.

Since you seem to believe that these conditions are a myth, under 'Diagnosis' read all of them and tell me which of those symptoms apply to you (which should be NONE if you don't have it)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention-deficit_hyperactivity_disorder
    ALL 9 of the ones under Inattention, 4 out of the 6 under Hyperactivity and all of the ones under Impulsiveness apply to me.
    When I am on the Daytrana medication, I feel much more level headed and relaxed than when I'm not on it. Don't try to tell me it's all in my head either because neither Strattera, nor Wellbutrin did a damn thing for me.

19. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

THC??

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

The active chemical/ingredient in Marijuana.

21. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

are you seriously saying that children with ADHD/ADD shouldnt be able to ahve children has they get older??

22. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

it all depends on the severity of the condition, in my sons cases yes they wil have to.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

All I needed was an occurectomy when I was very young, it cut the cord between my asshole and eyes to remove the shitty outlook on life I had then.