Drug Fun!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mr. Hamtastic, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I was on Effexor. Works great. One small problem. My Dr. got worried because it made my heart rate increase to 150 bpm resting. Are there any chemically similar drugs or herbs or anything that maybe won't do the heart rate?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

You could try Cymbalta, it's working very well for a friend of mine who was on a Paxil/Zoloft rotation for years. I am assuming you are taking it for anxiety/depression, though. If so, you could try that.

Stay away from Paxil, I have four friends who took it and all ended up getting the shakes really bad, and the one who switched to Cymbalta still has shakes and now mild seizures from years of being on Paxil. And it took her doctor 4 months to wean her off Paxil too, because taking someone right off it can kill them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Yeah, that's how most drugs are. I will try it when I get settled, because Wellbutrin isn't doing a thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Wellbutrin made me feel great ( I was taking it as a prophylactic for migraines) but I was also on a cortisone stim-pak for another problem and it masked an allergic reaction I was having to the Wellbutrin and as soon as I was coming off the steroids, I had hives from head to toe and my throat was closing up. I was on benedryl and cortisone for two weeks until all of the wellbutrin was out of my system. Not fun. And coming off the Wellbutrin was a nightmare. I've never been suicidal in my life, but driving home I was so distraught I thought about driving my car into a bridge pylon. I called my family right away and told them something was wrong with me, and they came to get me. Was the worst feeling in my life, and I couldn't control where my thoughts were going. It was very scary.

That was the last time the doctor prescribed anti-depressants for my migraines.

It did give me a unique perspective on depression and how it actually feels, and made me understand and sympathize with people more. Wellbutrin changed my life, but not how it was supposed to.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What is the dosage? Why not inmcrease it or take it twice a day to see what happens?

I take it along with Lithium, 500 Mg.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It never seizes to amaze me how many people are on drugs..

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What astounds me is that there should be more people taking prescribed medications instead of drinking alcohol to take away their problems. Alcoholism is a very widespread problem everywhere in the world that sells alcohol and many drink to escape into a drug induced catatonic state to avoid dealing with what really troubles them through professional means.

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

@Liebling: A cortisone stim-pak? What exactly are those? Like an IV line?

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Stimpack ? Cool

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Perhaps, but I think doctors prescribe drugs to soon.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

That's what I thought!

15. draqon Banned Banned

I am clean. My mind is pure. I take no drugs.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You are still young but wait until you become older, if no one destroys you first, then you will understand what I am talking about. Your entire system starts to fail you in your 50's and you will need help then but in your 60's you will be on many things and if you make 70's then you will be really needing help.

17. draqon Banned Banned

I will go the Japanese way, live after 90 years of age, and be in great health.

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I can only hope you a long life that is free of any discomfort but everyones bodies do start to deteriorate after 50.

19. Ladicius Registered Senior Member

I'm not convinced that drugs, corrupt so to say the mind? Still I'd never take it because knowing that I've undergone aftificial happiness that I can't surpass naturally, would slump me into a depression. Same goes for alchol.

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Why do people feel the need to take drugs when they should just accept the fact that they suck at life?

In all honesty I was on Paxil for a period of time... for "anxiety." I talked really fast, fumbled over my own words, tried to do everything too fast, etc. I am still this way, but it's not from anxiety... it's just how my brain is wired... it's fast. Under normal living conditions I am the guy doing 90 on the interstate when everyone else is going 50 because of traffic.

Getting off Paxil was a bitch that I never want to relive. Just imagine feeling electric shocks throughout your whole body every minute for 3 weeks... yes... it sucked hardcore. And the only thing Paxil did to me was make me apathetic to the world around me.

21. draqon Banned Banned

Absane's example of use of Paxil or any so called anti-depressant and/or anti-anxiety medications as just a wrong way to deal with life.

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Most drugs are prescribed as a "band aid" for a problem which a so called "professional" can't handle.

A normal human brain functions under the assumption that:
    • A fully complemented diet is provided (Covering full nutrition).
    • Approximately 8 hours of total sleep per day.
    • Sleep occurs during the night and waking is done in the morning.
    • Personal hygiene is high. (Having shower, washing hair and brushing teeth regularly)
    • No poisons or abuses (No smoking, heavy drinking or indulgences of Caffeine or sugar. Also environmental poisons should be listed, i.e. if you working as a welder will subject you to various gases that aren't healthy in the long run).
    • At least 30 minutes of Exercise a day. (Enough to get your heart pumping and increasing your breathing)

If a person was able to deal with all the above appropriately, then they should have less or no "Physical" neurological problems.

However this doesn't cover "psychological" problems which aren't just manifested by a persons own logical or illogical thinking, but dealing with other people. (i.e. a kid being bullied can result in a person being dis-attached, depressed and submissive/shy.)

What's annoying is that so called professionals (e.g. doctors) tend to get their diagnosis little mixed up with the Physical and Psychological symptom's resulting in their "prescriptions" being wrong.

To put it simply, if you have a Physical neurological problem, then you should at the very least have a CAT scan. This would allow doctors to observe the neurological action that's the problem and identify it to be actually physical. Where as if it's completely psychological, then it's actually better to try and work out the problems that ail you, since the human brain is capable of adapting to deal with things.

(e.g. If you are depressed because you don't have a job, Get up in the mornings at the same time other people go to work, during the day try looking for work, or use online training methods to increase your skills, look for education in colleges or seek employment actively. Don't just sit depressing yourself that you haven't a job, get out and get one. Be active about it.)

I'd suggest a person's neurochemistry is a very volatile balance, which is why is best to try and deal with it by thinking around obstacles than just drugging yourself, since those drugs medicate the whole brain (and body) not just the area that could be deemed a problem and is the cause of the many nasty side effects.

(Incidentally most Psychiatric drugs will generate Chemical dependency, this is because you are dealing with the brains synthesis of many chemicals and the drugs you take can increase or decrease certain chemical productions. So quitting a drug isn't as easy as throwing a scrap of paper into a rubbish bin.)

If you have to take a drug, always ask about the known side effects of any drug. This is not just because doctors have a habit of leaving out that information, but because you need to make sure they are truly competent in prescribing a drug that they have already administered before and know the types of reaction, rather than using you as a human guinea pig outside of the Nuremberg Code.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

stryder, with respect.

Please dont talk about what you have no idea about, you may be a great computer programer but you have no experiance in mental health and im sorry but atitudes like that cost lives.