Drivers see sex attack in street but fail to stop

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by lucifers angel, Feb 13, 2008.

?

Would you stop, and help?

Poll closed Feb 23, 2008.
  1. Yes

91.7%
  2. No

4.2%
  3. Who cares? Its not my problem

4.2%
  1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't think its possible to what you'll do in that situation until your in that situation. Normally I would say here that no I wouldn't help her. I hate helping people, the most help I give is holding the door open for people and I don't even want to do that, but when I saw some guy threaten to stab this old lady if she didn't give him all of her stuff, I didn't even think about it. I asked him what he thought he was doing and the lady tried to run away he went to stab her and I was over there. I don't even remember running over or anything. It was a stupid thing to do, I could have died, but it was instinctive. Later I found out I had broken his nose and arm. I guess little girls can take care of themselves

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Orleander

I dont get why ANYONE driving man OR woman wouldnt help, for fuck sake you have a one ton (AT LEAST) weapon under your control. Run the fucker over if you have to. And Who doesnt carry a mobile?????? call the cops and ambos for fuck sake.

People who dont give a shit about other people make me sick

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I'm glad nobody stopped me.....

8. Bells Staff Member

I'd have stopped the car, call the police, sneaked up behind him and whacked him in the back of the head with the tire iron I would have grabbed from the trunk. Not hard enough to kill him, but hard enough to ensure he was knocked out. But then, I am violent that way.

There are a lot of things passer's by could have done to stop him. Try to run him over is one thing. Stop and pull him off her is another thing. Stop the car, yell at him that you are calling the police and if he does not run or comes towards you, ram him with your car is another thing. Or you can just walk up behind him and whack him with a tire iron after having called the police.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

calling the police is the first thing, then deciding what to do to IMIDIATLY reduce the danger. I had the same debate with my partner about a man who was sitting in the middle of the road. We called the police and then i wished i had stoped the car to protect him till the cops arived, it was a mestake i wont forgive myself for but my partner thinks i would have been charged with blocking trafic. Of corse i wouldnt have, i could have blocked ALL the traffic coming around the corner with the car and the police would just have said thanks

The same goes for a car acident, i always stop and you stop your car in such a way to protect yourself and the other people in the cars

Im SO pissed off with myself that i didnt stop yesterday, if he had been killed it would have been on my head

10. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i don't.

but i am thinking about getting one, because my kids are at the age now where they go and do they're own thing.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't have a cell phone and if I tried to run over the attacker, wouldn't I also be risking running over the victim? I haven't done her much good if I'm parked on top of her.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Orleander If you were raping someone what the hell would you do if a car snuck up right behind you and honked the horn???

Do you think they would keep going?

13. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Everyone wants to be noble. We cannot know until we are faced with such a situation, what we will do.

14. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

In an instant, and beat the criminal to death

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Assuming I could, but I would've tried

16. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

My propensity to stop and aid is greatly proportional to the size of the guy

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Run over and get charged for manslaughter ?

Apathy is having a ball in modern society.

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

For the OP, Cosmictraveler's story is a good answer why people won't stop.

I guess a good line of action would be trying to hit the offender than driving away...

Edit: I just saw Asguard said the same. He also has a good point of using mobiles.

here is another reason: let's say it is actually a couple with an abusive relationship. The dude gets arrested as a result of my action, but the woman gets mad at ME, because the dude was the only working member and now they are without income...

The point is that cases like this are not always clearcut...

P.S.: The dude can also have a gun and I the good citizen end up being killed for my noble action of helping...

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so this man is raping this woman in broad daylight, in front of people driving by, but if I honk my horn at him he will stop? :bugeye:

And I already said I would stop, so get off my back.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I agree, I would look for a hefty stick or branch or rock and just knock him out, then call 911

21. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

I'm in court on the 21st for sentencing and may face a jail term, why??
    A man i know was so drunk in charge of a 5&7 year old he nearly broke the 7 yrolds arm in the car door, I then struggled with him for the car keys to prevent him from driving,while waiting for a taxi which i phoned for him he touched a guest at my house in a sexual way, she was curled up in the corner of the room crying when I found her, I asked him to leave he refused so i put him in a headlock and chucked him out, when he tried to hit me i hit him 4 or 5 times.I took his kids of him and my mate drove them back to their momma's between 2.00 am & 3.00am we recieved 30 phone calls threatening stabbings and death threats I went round to his house to sort things out anf he flipped out (Alcohol) so I hit him again once. because I hit him on his premesis and left him unconcious the courts have taken it seriously, the police were not interested about the safety of his children did not report it to child welfare( I have) and have not interviewed the woman who was assaulted??.
    I should'nt of hit him but, i'm not a trained policeman??.
    his crimes were potentialy far greater, but faces no charges.
    I would like to think that I would of helped the woman in the street but, apart from phoning the police I would have been wary about getting involved, because in that situation your a prob going to have to use forceful restraint and could face greater charges than the attacker.

JUSTICE SUCKS HARD............................................

22. draqon Banned Banned

Life is not about justice, if life was neutral and fair to all and everything, there would not be life and no lessons will be learned of it. There is a reason why life is unbalanced and unfair, you must learn this lesson.

And suffering is even better of this learning than anything else, it tests your power of will.

If what I said means nothing to you, ignore it, don't hate me for stating what I know.

23. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

YOU sound like my dad lol.
    I agree life is not about justice but, I think you can still learn lessons of life in a state of fairness and neutrality.
    but generaly agree with what you say:bravo::itold: